Paul MacLean Exit Conference

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Cameron doesn't bench players I'm gonna be ****ing pissed.

That's the one thing I wanted more from MacLean.

Cowen and Zibby both much better after the benching. Infact, completely diff players.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Cowen and Zibby both much better after the benching. Infact, completely diff players.

Fans have different wants, so what he does is liable to please some folks while pissing off others. The real measuring stick is whether he wins.

Further to your point though, the fact that vets played a large role in tossing Mac under the bus suggests to me that it may turn out pretty much the opposite of what you want. I guess we'll see on Thurs.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Murray doesnt like benching young players. He believes in having them play through it:P

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
You're right, I should totally support the guy who was a part of the coaching staff that was blamed for the team's play who is nothing more than a pawn of Eugene Melynk.

He's an average junior coach who failed spectacularly not only with Team Canada but with our farm club. So yeah, he was clearly the best option to coach our team. Such an extensive search too. Um, is Like Richardson free? No? Then let's lock in Dave!

Buckle up.

Why are you hating him though? Hate Murray and Melnyk for not looking for a coach. I mean if they offered me the job i'd take it lol plus you dont even know what the guy will bring. What if hes better then Mac?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Further to your point though, the fact that vets played a large role in tossing Mac under the bus suggests to me that it may turn out pretty much the opposite of what you want. I guess we'll see on Thurs.
I can totally see it: "Clearly we haven't been playing Phillips and Neil enough!" :laugh::cry:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Good luck Paul. Thanks for taking us on a sweet victory ride against the hated Habs a couple of seasons ago!! :handclap::handclap: Good luck sir!!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Didn't Murray say that he asked Richardson, but Richardson wanted to stay in bingo until his daughter graduated?

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My hope is for Cameron to make this team strong in regular season for next year and a half/2 then we bring in Richardson for hammer time in playoffs.

Or Cameron can do it himself(history says otherwise but who knows).

Of course this is after pick up McEichel this year tho #priorites

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
My hope is for Cameron to make this team strong in regular season for next year and a half/2 then we bring in Richardson for hammer time in playoffs.

The timing works out for Richardson. Although he did say today that his plan is to stay in bingo till 2016 unless his daughter is really settled and an offer comes his way before next yr is up.
Also, would be unlikely that DC is replaced if having success.
Way I see it is either DC improves the team and stays or has no effect and Luke is offered the job.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Of course this is after pick up McEichel this year tho #priorites

Why are people so dead set on Richardson? Guy had an offensive juggernaut of an AHL team and didnt get anywhere in the playoffs. He needs to prove a ton more. Cameron actually has a better resume...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm curious. Why do people love MacLean so much? I liked him when the team looked good but i became indifferent to him last year and started to think he was an actual problem this year seeing no improvement in players and falling into the same ideas he had last year. I see zero reason for him to have a Jack Adams and imo he proved he didnt deserve it even further when he failed to coach a superior roster and alienate multiple players and didnt take input well.

Well the defense has looked like garbage for three years and Murray stressed that the chances against were unacceptable. I know i for one would have fired the coach if the defense looked terrible 3 years in a row. Hell the devils played defensive hockey with below average talent for years and won a cup. That game against florida.... was possbily the worst defense ive ever seen. Then the next game against tampa the exact same thing happens.

So.....you think this roster is superior to the one with Alfredsson and Spezza in it, and you think the Devils had a below average team in terms of talent when they won a Cup.

That is an.....interesting....viewpoint.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Fans have different wants, so what he does is liable to please some folks while pissing off others. The real measuring stick is whether he wins.

I keep hearing about bets tossing Mac under the bus... Is there any proof of this or is it purely speculation?

WTF does it even mean? Murray has been unhappy with Maclean for a long time, he stated it public at the end of last season and gave specific reasons why he thought Mac was doing a bad job. The players aren't responsible for Mac refusing to change.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
So.....you think this roster is superior to the one with Alfredsson and Spezza in it, and you think the Devils had a below average team in terms of talent when they won a Cup.

No but they managed to be competitive for years without talent. Being competitive draws talent in.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I dont think i said that...? If i did i didnt mean it:P I thinkk there are pieces on the roster that have gotten worse the longer they been with MacLean and a different coach might be able to get them on the right track, use them in positions to have them succeed and have them reach their potential. The defense doesnt really have anything to do with alfie and Spezza probably would make this defense even worse.

I dont think he deserved his Adams trophy because he coached a bad team and it still was bad. Goaltending just bailed it out.

The superior roster is what it was compared to the shortened season versus last season. When he had Spezza, a healthy Mm, MacA, karlsson anderson, ryan and it still was giving up tons of chances.

Last edited:

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
I keep hearing about bets tossing Mac under the bus... Is there any proof of this or is it purely speculation?

WTF does it even mean? Murray has been unhappy with Maclean for a long time, he stated it public at the end of last season and gave specific reasons why he thought Mac was doing a bad job. The players aren't responsible for Mac refusing to change.

And Murray said those things were based on what the players told him after the season ended. The players weren't happy with Paul. He shut them down whenever they offered any feedback. This was contrary to how he acted in the first year of his contract - "the old Paul" that the players loved.
I don't blame Paul for sticking to his guns and holding people accountable. Being tough on kids and givings vets slack because they've earned it is fine by me as well. The problem is, that's not how he acted in the first year. So a distinct change in personality makes people question who you really are.

In any job, when your boss goes from a cool nice dude you thought you could confide in to a stone faced *******, it sucks the life out of you.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
And Murray said those things were based on what the players told him after the season ended. The players weren't happy with Paul. He shut them down whenever they offered any feedback. This was contrary to how he acted in the first year of his contract - "the old Paul" that the players loved.
I don't blame Paul for sticking to his guns and holding people accountable. Being tough on kids and givings vets slack because they've earned it is fine by me as well. The problem is, that's not how he acted in the first year. So a distinct change in personality makes people question who you really are.

In any job, when your boss goes from a cool nice dude you thought you could confide in to a stone faced *******, it sucks the life out of you.

So people are claiming the players threw Maclean under the bus based on their exit interviews from last season? That's even more ridiculous than I had imagined.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: if there's anything worth being embarassed about as a Sens fan (there isn't) then it's the damn fans and nothing else.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
So people are claiming the players threw Maclean under the bus based on their exit interviews from last season? That's even more ridiculous than I had imagined.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: if there's anything worth being embarassed about as a Sens fan (there isn't) then it's the damn fans and nothing else.

You'd make a great PR rep for Eugene. Blaming the fans is what he does best.

Next, you can tell us all to blow ourselves up.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
You'd make a great PR rep for Eugene. Blaming the fans is what he does best.

Next, you can tell us all to blow ourselves up.

What exactly am I blaming the fans for? I'm not sure, but thanks for running with my theme of extreme hyperbole, jumping to conclusions and general nonsense.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What exactly am I blaming the fans for? I'm not sure, but thanks for running with my theme of extreme hyperbole, jumping to conclusions and general nonsense.

Apparently, it appears that one, (or more) players went to Murray sometime this season to complain about MacLean. This is separate from the end of year meetings from last season. That's what's getting peoples' dander up.

At least, that's the scuttlebutt. Seems from different interviews with players and different tweets and such, that's how it's been cobbled together as the final nail in the coffin for MacLean this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad