Paul MacLean Exit Conference

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Apparently, it appears that one, (or more) players went to Murray sometime this season to complain about MacLean. This is separate from the end of year meetings from last season. That's what's getting peoples' dander up.

At least, that's the scuttlebutt. Seems from different interviews with players and different tweets and such, that's how it's been cobbled together as the final nail in the coffin for MacLean this week.

I personally haven't seen any tweets or quotes that made reference to players speaking out against Mac or going to Murray to complain this season. If anyone has links to these then I'd love to see them.

I don't believe this happened and I'm at a loss trying to figure out why is seems to be a near consensus on these boards that this is a major reason Maclean was fired.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
I thought Paul did a great job with the tools he had.

At the same time, over the last two years, I can't recall watching the team play a full 60 minutes too many times. Also, our defensive coverage wasn't all that good.

Some blame goes to the youth, and some goes to coaching.
I believe we can get better, despite our payroll.

I'm not overly surprised by the move, but I can't say Paul was a bad coach during his time here. He served us well.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I personally haven't seen any tweets or quotes that made reference to players speaking out against Mac or going to Murray to complain this season. If anyone has links to these then I'd love to see them.

I don't believe this happened and I'm at a loss trying to figure out why is seems to be a near consensus on these boards that this is a major reason Maclean was fired.

Watch Murray's presser.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I keep hearing about bets tossing Mac under the bus... Is there any proof of this or is it purely speculation?

WTF does it even mean? Murray has been unhappy with Maclean for a long time, he stated it public at the end of last season and gave specific reasons why he thought Mac was doing a bad job. The players aren't responsible for Mac refusing to change.
I think you are right and AJ and Simmer have also said the rift was between Murray and Maclean, but in his press conference Murray said that star players were unhappy with being singled out..Because the only star players are Ryan and Karlsson everyone assumed it was them but they both got along fine with Maclean.

Maybe Spezza wasn't happy last year? Maybe some of the vets who are losing ice time? Who knows. Too bad he brought that up at all. Now even outside Ottawa they are blamed as coach killers and cry babies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think you are right and AJ and Simmer have also said the rift was between Murray and Maclean, but in his press conference Murray said that star players were unhappy with being singled out..Because the only star players are Ryan and Karlsson everyone assumed it was them but they both got along fine with Maclean.

Maybe Spezza wasn't happy last year? Maybe some of the vets who are losing ice time? Who knows. Too bad he brought that up at all. Now even outside Ottawa they are blamed as coach killers and cry babies.
I heard just yesterday on the Team 1200 that there was a rift between Karlsson & Maclean specifically regarding Maclean's comment about "scared to death of which players he plays". Some think that comment related to the defence & Karlsson is part of the defence & how poorly he has been playing this yr defensively. The other comment was made last yr I think, it was when Maclean said "he liked Karlsson when he was playing for our team but not so much when he was playing for the other team" referring to the giveaways that cost them games.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Can only think of a few players that would have a problem with Mac.

Neil & Phillips (both wanted to be captains)
Cowen & Zib (being scratched even though he had turned his game around)
Karlsson (pissed at being paired with AHL-level partners)
Ryan (little ice-time & not getting time on the first line)

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Zach Smith (just feelin' lost out there)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I heard just yesterday on the Team 1200 that there was a rift between Karlsson & Maclean specifically regarding Maclean's comment about "scared to death of which players he plays". Some think that comment related to the defence & Karlsson is part of the defence & how poorly he has been playing this yr defensively. The other comment was made last yr I think, it was when Maclean said "he liked Karlsson when he was playing for our team but not so much when he was playing for the other team" referring to the giveaways that cost them games.

The second comment was made from the very first few months Stache was here, so I think Team 1200 are talking outta their ass, as uje.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

Craig Anderson, far and away our MVP this year, watching us deteriorate defensively, as if it was even possible.

Robin Lehner, who gains momentum only to watch it squashed when he gets nailed to the pine.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

He basically says all of this in the press conference after MacLean was fired. Do you honestly need players to tweet about this? It would be on the same level as saying there have been no viable trade targets for the team because there has been no press conference called in order to specifically list off trade proposals given to the team. Sometimes you have to use common sense regarding what is and is not likely to be shared with fans. Players will always just say the thing they are supposed to say. I was actually surprised that BM went as far as he did regarding mentioning player unhappiness and longing for the "old MacLean."

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
He basically says all of this in the press conference after MacLean was fired. Do you honestly need players to tweet about this? It would be on the same level as saying there have been no viable trade targets for the team because there has been no press conference called in order to specifically list off trade proposals given to the team. Sometimes you have to use common sense regarding what is and is not likely to be shared with fans. Players will always just say the thing they are supposed to say. I was actually surprised that BM went as far as he did regarding mentioning player unhappiness and longing for the "old MacLean."

This isn't my point of contention though. It's obviously not a stretch to say there was a rift between Maclean and the players.

Where I don't see any actual evidence is in the claims that players went to Murray this season to complain about the coach. This has been repeated a lot, and there's been endless speculation as to who these players were that "went behind the coach's back."

I listened to the press conference and this was not at all the impression I got. Can you provide the quote, or any quote from the conference that makes you think this happened?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This isn't my point of contention though. It's obviously not a stretch to say there was a rift between Maclean and the players.

Where I don't see any actual evidence is in the claims that players went to Murray this season to complain about the coach. This has been repeated a lot, and there's been endless speculation as to who these players were that "went behind the coach's back."

I listened to the press conference and this was not at all the impression I got. Can you provide the quote, or any quote from the conference that makes you think this happened?

I guess people just use common sense.

How else would Murray know that the players aren't happy if they don't tell Murray?

They could either tell Murray or they could tell Cameron who told Murray.

edit: 3rd option --> players tells Cameron who tells Melynk who tells Murray

I don't like either situation.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

In every interview with Karlsson he mentions that he liked him. I dont think Karlsson would give either of those jokes a second thought,he's not that stupid. It was funny how Maclean shot Garrioch down when he brought it up a the presser.

The Sun had an article today that Ryan and Karlsson were happy with Maclean I am sure they would like the word out there that they are not coach killers and didn't sneak behind the coaches back to cry to the GM.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/12/09/karlsson-ryan-no-complaints-had-no-complaints-with-maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad