Paul MacLean Exit Conference

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Caught his spot on TO Radio:

"I'm from Antigonish Nova Scotia. I stand up for myself." - Given credit for sticking out the presser and not vanishing into the shadows. Wanted the team to be able to move on with Cameron right away, not have him show up weeks from now out of the blue.

3 captains in three years, was that a problem? - yes it was a challenge but not really a big deal. Today's NHL lots of turnover. Have to deal with it and move on. All three good folk.

High expectations in OTT. Why 30th in payroll? We set a lot of stock in scouting, getting good young players, obviously cheaper, not elite but certainly capable of being competitive, growing over time. Felt that way from the start, still feels that way.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm still a Maclean guy.

Still hate that this team gave up on a good coach. He's not the next incarnation of Scotty Bowman or anything, but he was the right fit for a low-budget team, a young team. I maintained a week ago that this team wasn't good enough to compete without giving 100% on the ice (we're just not talented enough - we're getting there, but aren't there yet), I still believe that, but Maclean should have been that guy who was able to get that out of them. I have doubts about Cameron's ability to do the same.

Some team is going to hire him, and make us look like fools.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Maclean learned everything he knows about coaching in the NHL from Mike Babcock, a proven winner in this league. Babcock leans hard on his veteran players - his best players - and demands a lot from them. Maclean tried to do the same with this team, but his veteran players are not the best players and the best players apparently don't like to be pushed. Right now we've got a bunch of children on this team who need their hands held by the head coach. It doesn't bode we'll for us but I'm confident that with a veteran team, maclean can win a cup.

Thanks for the good times Paul, I will never forget that series against Montreal for as long as I live

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'm still a Maclean guy.

Still hate that this team gave up on a good coach. He's not the next incarnation of Scotty Bowman or anything, but he was the right fit for a low-budget team, a young team. I maintained a week ago that this team wasn't good enough to compete without giving 100% on the ice (we're just not talented enough - we're getting there, but aren't there yet), I still believe that, but Maclean should have been that guy who was able to get that out of them. I have doubts about Cameron's ability to do the same.

I really like him as a person, and I'm not naive enough to think that the fans are always going to agree with a coach's decisions but it really seemed like every single game there was some strange lineup decision or ice time decision that hurt the team. Definitely partially the fact the roster he was given isn't overly talented but he didn't seem to make the most out of what he had. Our payroll isn't great but there's no way we're the 30th roster in the league. I don't think it'll take more than 10 games to see whether this was the right decision or not.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
He really seems set in his ways was the impression i got.

Best post so far. You make your own bed in life. What I mean is that sticking to your guns is a personal decision that most have to make in the working world, not just head coaches. If you choose to do it your own way despite what your bosses want you to do then you suffer the consequences eventually.

It's not a bad trait, in fact it's honourable, but you will pay the price.

I liked MacLean but I also agree with a previous poster that said coaches get fired, life goes on. All the rest of the silly angst is just typical of this board over every single decision.

Cameron sounds like a very intelligent man, time to see what a change can do.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Caught his spot on TO Radio:

"I'm from Antigonish Nova Scotia. I stand up for myself." - Given credit for sticking out the presser and not vanishing into the shadows. Wanted the team to be able to move on with Cameron right away, not have him show up weeks from now out of the blue.

3 captains in three years, was that a problem? - yes it was a challenge but not really a big deal. Today's NHL lots of turnover. Have to deal with it and move on. All three good folk.

High expectations in OTT. Why 30th in payroll? We set a lot of stock in scouting, getting good young players, obviously cheaper, not elite but certainly capable of being competitive, growing over time. Felt that way from the start, still feels that way.
Here it is:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Best post so far. You make your own bed in life. What I mean is that sticking to your guns is a personal decision that most have to make in the working world, not just head coaches. If you choose to do it your own way despite what your bosses want you to do then you suffer the consequences eventually.

It's not a bad trait, in fact it's honourable, but you will pay the price.

I liked MacLean but I also agree with a previous poster that said coaches get fired, life goes on. All the rest of the silly angst is just typical of this board over every single decision.

Cameron sounds like a very intelligent man, time to see what a change can do.

I feel bad for Cameron at this point. So many fans aren't even willing to give him a chance, he's already being criticized for the lines in his first PRACTICE.

I truly don't understand why so many people think Maclean is some sort of super coach. He's a great guy, but what is that worth to the team? Nobody gives any real examples of why he was the right fit for the team, they just seem to like him on a personal level.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I'm still a Maclean guy.

If he does not get this team performing and into the playoffs then he should be on the next bus out of here... I am still kind of annoyed about MacLean being fired.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Where were all you die hard supporters the last 3 months?

There have been a few people here defending MacLean for a long while.

Impressive exit conference. Dude is going to go to a much better situation on another team and make the Sens look like a bunch of idiots for letting him go. The guy has IT.

And holy crap, who was that crazy woman? :laugh:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think its not the end of the world
We need to relax and see what cameron do

And if its not working by the end of the season some coaches could become available like Ruff or yeo or even bylsma or Roy

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I really like him as a person, and I'm not naive enough to think that the fans are always going to agree with a coach's decisions but it really seemed like every single game there was some strange lineup decision or ice time decision that hurt the team. Definitely partially the fact the roster he was given isn't overly talented but he didn't seem to make the most out of what he had.

Well, we'll find that out soon enough.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maclean learned everything he knows about coaching in the NHL from Mike Babcock, a proven winner in this league. Babcock leans hard on his veteran players - his best players - and demands a lot from them. Maclean tried to do the same with this team, but his veteran players are not the best players and the best players apparently don't like to be pushed. Right now we've got a bunch of children on this team who need their hands held by the head coach. It doesn't bode we'll for us but I'm confident that with a veteran team, maclean can win a cup.

Thanks for the good times Paul, I will never forget that series against Montreal for as long as I live

This is what worries me the most. If that indeed is true, this team will never be a winner.

Management needs to find out asap if that's truly the case, and if so, who the offenders are. Either find a way to permanently fix their attitudes or ship them out. The league is way too competitive to rely on guys who won't give it their all on a regular basis.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Oilers, or some other team are going to hire MacLean and he is going to make this organization look ridiculous.

For a short time, like most new coaches. Folks here will be ******* all over themselves. But then, like any other coach he will eventually fail and the same folks will say they knew all along. Next shiny thing, "look there".

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
This is what worries me the most. If that indeed is true, this team will never be a winner.

Management needs to find out asap if that's truly the case, and if so, who the offenders are. Either find a way to permanently fix their attitudes or ship them out. The league is way too competitive to rely on guys who won't give it their all on a regular basis.

Not this management team. Murray helped create the country club atmosphere around this team by being the grandparent you can run to when dad was being to stern.

I worry that this team can't be pushed to another level. Asking your best players to be the best players...? How dare he?!?

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
What a dumb question by Garrioch.

"Paul, are you mad?"

:shakehead

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Not this management team. Murray helped create the country club atmosphere around this team by being the grandparent you can run to when dad was being to stern.

I worry that this team can't be pushed to another level. Asking your best players to be the best players...? How dare he?!?

And putting your vegetables on the ice for twice the time of your talented players

How come was it not working??

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
What a great exit conference. Full of emotion. Telling it how it is. What a bad ass guy. It's too bad we lost such a great coach. I wish him the best of luck!

:handclap:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm fine with the change and actually have some hope for a turnaround, but I feel sad for Mac.

All this talk of veterans... When is it going to become a talking point publicly that our two most senior veterans are also probably our 2 worst players. The real change of identity happens when Philly and Neiler hang em up IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad