Player Discussion Paul Byron

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Agreed. He's a top-9 guy on any contender in the league and his speed (especially on the PK) is lethal. His low cap hit would also be attractive to contenders.
If an inferior player in Dale Weise got that much, just imagine Byron, who has another year left.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It would suck to see him go but it's the right thing to do. He'll be asking for a lot of money after his current contract is over, and it's time to leverage this asset to its maximum value.

EDIT:

Actually it's not the RIGHT thing to do, it's the logical thing to do.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It would suck to see him go but it's the right thing to do.

It's the right thing to do. You can only ice three 3rd line player. We have right not like five or six 3rd line players. In an ideal world if you want to build a cup contending team those guys should play 3rd line : Danault, Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Hudon. Of course with the salary cap nothing is perfect but you can't have two of those player play a top 6 role when the team is healthy and expect to win a cup. So you have to trade at least one. The logic dictate that you trade the oldest one.

I know people around here think all players can play until they are 50 years old Jagr style. But the reality is guys like Byron often, very often, significantly slow down at 30. As soon as Byron will slow down he'll be replaceable easily. He would not be the first nor the last to blossom late just to have have 3 or 4 good seasons and then slowly vanish. It happened countless of times and will continue to happen. Those type of guys are dime a dozen. Many played here in the last 25 years. Petrov, Zholtok, ... I would not be surprised at all to see Byron exits the NHL at 32-33. He'll be 29 next year. It's time to cash in and wish him good luck.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I don't think we should trade him at all. I know that trading him sounds like the typical thing you would expect from a declining team, but that guy has been good on a consistent basis. He's also not that old and his speed does not seem to be regressing.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think we should trade him at all. I know that trading him sounds like the typical thing you would expect from a declining team, but that guy has been good on a consistent basis. He's also not that old and his speed does not seem to be regressing.

So do you think we can win a cup with two of Danault, Byron, Hudon, Lehkonen and Shaw in the top 6 as well as Gallagher? If not then who do we trade instead of Byron? If we trade nobody then do you think it's a good idea to waste any of those asset on a 4thy line?

Still think it would be bad management to not cash in if he's worth two 2nd or a 1st. He might be with his contract.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
So do you think we can win a cup with two of Danault, Byron, Hudon, Lehkonen and Shaw in the top 6 as well as Gallagher? If not then who do we trade instead of Byron? If we trade nobody then do you think it's a good idea to waste any of those asset on a 4thy line?

Still think it would be bad management to not cash in if he's worth two 2nd or a 1st. He might be with his contract.

Well personally I think it would be better to trade Paccioretty and hopefully Plekanec than one of these guys. Danault is out of the table because of our center depth. Hudon and Lehkonen are still young and not very valuable at the moment, I don't see them as being part of any trade. Shaw is a maybe, but he's still young. And I'm not the biggest Gallagher fan even if he's got a great season so I'd put him in the same category as Shaw.

Trades are not the easiest things to do and we all remember being quite pissed at the trade deadline, so I don't see us making tons of deals anyway. Also, I don't see Byron fetching a first.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

If he was a few years younger, then you can have a sport for him as the team transitions. As it stands, he won't be anything better than he is now. As much as I enjoy his style of play, you have to let him go if you can land something that helps the future, or potentially helps the future at least.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Even with Pacioretty traded and Galchenyuk moved to C I have 9 wingers that need to play...

Drouin - _______ - Gallagher
Hudon - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
DesLauriers - _______- Shaw
Carr

You can add De La Rose and McCarron if you like as well.

Given his age and that he only has a year left on his deal, he seems like the logical choice to move if any.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Is only Bergevin was smart enough to sell high and not want to keep him just because it's one of the only good things he's done as GM.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Of course keeping him would be insurance/incentive to make sure guys like DesLauriers and Scherbak don't take their foot off the gas.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Are you serious?
yes very very serious. Look at past deadline, and let me know good defensively 20 goal scorers trade details. He has has one more year at mega bargain price
I think many underappreciated his value since he as a waiver acquisition. But previous value has nothing to do with current value

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
yes very very serious. Look at past deadline, and let me know good defensively 20 goal scorers trade details. He has has one more year at mega bargain price
I think many underappreciated his value since he as a waiver acquisition. But previous value has nothing to do with current value

Jonathan Marchessault scored 30 goals last year and was left unprotected in the expansion draft, a smaller player like Byron. I would love for us to get a first rounder for him, hopefully you are right. We will revisit this.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We all love Byron and would hate to lose his high skill and low cost. But that's exactly what makes him a valuable trade asset. Other teams will pay to add his current value to their team right now, while we should be grabbing as much future value as we can. Byron makes us better now; we need players who make us better in 2-5 years.

Reactions: Andy

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I'm not good with trade value but there's no denying he would be a valuable asset for any team.

Getting a late 1st round pick for him would be awesome.

Reactions: King In Glory

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We all love Byron and would hate to lose his high skill and low cost. But that's exactly what makes him a valuable trade asset. Other teams will pay to add his current value to their team right now, while we should be grabbing as much future value as we can. Byron makes us better now; we need players who make us better in 2-5 years.
Maybe. The operative word is maybe. Who maybe makes us better in 2-5 years. The common expectation on this board is a second round pick. The percentage of a second round pick becoming a NHLer is what? Mid-twenties percent? And then factor in the percentage of him being as good as Bryon. I'm not against trading Byron but it would have to be for a prospect (between 19 & 23 years old). Otherwise I'd keep him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Are you serious?

I'm looking at who is currently rumoured for trade, and it's mostly UFAs from the bottom 10 teams. Unless some bottom 10 teams start offering longer term players (like the Habs offering Pacioretty and Gallagher), if Byron is available I think the only guy who'd have more value overall around the league is Maroon. Byron has value, signed next year, PKer, can play any line, speed, goal scoring, he just lacks size. Guys like Vanek and Kane might be better players but at their cap hit and reputation, teams know if they are not in the top six they aren't going to be much use.

I think it's more likely to see a Weise type package. Weise got more than his value because he had a playoff reputation and some size, but a big part of why the Blackhawks wanted him was because he could play on any line. That's a big thing these days for teams looking to go deep in the playoffs.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
byron is at least worth a first at the deadline.
Go back to last 2 tdl. Only PEaves got a 1st and it was actually a 2nd with conditions attached. Shattenkirk got also a 1st but it was a multiple player deal.
If Mtl insists on a 1st, gotta give one or two of their 3 2nd rounders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad