Player Discussion Paul Byron

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm looking at who is currently rumoured for trade, and it's mostly UFAs from the bottom 10 teams. Unless some bottom 10 teams start offering longer term players (like the Habs offering Pacioretty and Gallagher), if Byron is available I think the only guy who'd have more value overall around the league is Maroon. Byron has value, signed next year, PKer, can play any line, speed, goal scoring, he just lacks size. Guys like Vanek and Kane might be better players but at their cap hit and reputation, teams know if they are not in the top six they aren't going to be much use.

I think it's more likely to see a Weise type package. Weise got more than his value because he had a playoff reputation and some size, but a big part of why the Blackhawks wanted him was because he could play on any line. That's a big thing these days for teams looking to go deep in the playoffs.
It would be good to get a first round pick for lord Byron and hopefully you all are right, I would gladly be wrong on this one.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Maybe. The operative word is maybe. Who maybe makes us better in 2-5 years. The common expectation on this board is a second round pick. The percentage of a second round pick becoming a NHLer is what? Mid-twenties percent? And then factor in the percentage of him being as good as Bryon. I'm not against trading Byron but it would have to be for a prospect (between 19 & 23 years old). Otherwise I'd keep him.
That's the challenge of building for the future -- it's all "Maybe". You can slam a series of extra-base hits with your prospects like Tampa and Boston did, or you can tap a bunch of infield-bloopers and strike out a lot, like Montreal.

Bottom line is that you need to make your own talent, not buy it retail from other teams. I don't see how we have any choice but to gamble on a bunch of 'maybes'.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Go back to last 2 tdl. Only PEaves got a 1st and it was actually a 2nd with conditions attached. Shattenkirk got also a 1st but it was a multiple player deal.
If Mtl insists on a 1st, gotta give one or two of their 3 2nd rounders.
I'd trade all of our 2nd-round picks for one mid-range or better 1st-round pick.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It would be good to get a first round pick for lord Byron and hopefully you all are right, I would gladly be wrong on this one.

I'm hesitant on a first rounder. Only the Islanders, Avalanche, and Flyers have two first round picks right now for 2018. If there was a contender with multiple first rounders I could see them having no issue flipping one for Byron. Now, 2019? Vegas has three first round picks right now. Maybe they give one up for Byron? I guess it's possible.

Montreal has three second round picks in 2018, so getting another sounds a bit like overkill for that draft. Maybe they push more for something in 2019 or 2020 for Byron. Maybe a team like Nashville would be just fine with giving up their first round pick, knowing they should still be in Cup contention for 2019 and 2020.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If only the Habs could consistently draft Byron clones! Oh well, Calgary drafted Byron for the Habs to pick up on waivers!

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I'd trade all of our 2nd-round picks for one mid-range or better 1st-round pick.
I assume you are leaving PB out of it and if talking to Phila, that would mean 11th for 35th, 43rd and 58th.

Reminds me of Hextall trading up with Arizona to 35th last draft and gave 44th, 75th and 108th

Still at last draft we saw 26 for 29 and 70.

Got to really like a guy to move up a few slots and give away later picks. I guess it comes down to needs and whats out there.

This year not many c so maybe more of such trades?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I assume you are leaving PB out of it and if talking to Phila, that would mean 11th for 35th, 43rd and 58th.

Reminds me of Hextall trading up with Arizona to 35th last draft and gave 44th, 75th and 108th

Got to really like a guy to move up a few slots and give away later picks. I guess it comes down to needs and whats out there.

I'd offer a lot for a 1st-round, some combo of Byron + 2nd-round pick(s). Depending on how high in the 1st-round we're talking about, it would take even more than that.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

To move up to get Tinordi it cost our 2nd round pick as well.

What a stupid move.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
To move up to get Tinordi it cost our 2nd round pick as well.

What a stupid move.
Moved up to 22nd to get JT + 113rf for 27th and 57th.

27th never panned out but 57 th playing bottom 6 role. But Kuznetsov went at 26. Imagine if he would have been taken 27th. All hypothetical.

I dont mind moving either one way or another up or down depending on situation.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I'm looking at who is currently rumoured for trade, and it's mostly UFAs from the bottom 10 teams. Unless some bottom 10 teams start offering longer term players (like the Habs offering Pacioretty and Gallagher), if Byron is available I think the only guy who'd have more value overall around the league is Maroon. Byron has value, signed next year, PKer, can play any line, speed, goal scoring, he just lacks size. Guys like Vanek and Kane might be better players but at their cap hit and reputation, teams know if they are not in the top six they aren't going to be much use.

I think it's more likely to see a Weise type package. Weise got more than his value because he had a playoff reputation and some size, but a big part of why the Blackhawks wanted him was because he could play on any line. That's a big thing these days for teams looking to go deep in the playoffs.
and he was a free agent the year after, byron has one more year.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Jonathan Marchessault scored 30 goals last year and was left unprotected in the expansion draft, a smaller player like Byron. I would love for us to get a first rounder for him, hopefully you are right. We will revisit this.
You cant compare trade deadline and expanssion draft..
Expansion draft , contract come into it too, and florida decided not to protect him and protect more controlable players (he was on his last year of contract) .

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You cant compare trade deadline and expanssion draft..
Expansion draft , contract come into it too, and florida decided not to protect him and protect more controlable players (he was on his last year of contract) .
Okay, I did not know that and that makes sense, I just never saw a guy like Byron getting a 1st round pick, time will tell I guess.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Only an extremely desperate team would trade a first for a career grinder who is produce well only because he's on a bad team. Yes, it's happened, but the desperation must be there, like with Nashville wanting Suter back and hence trading for Paul Gaustad.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Only an extremely desperate team would trade a first for a career grinder who is produce well only because he's on a bad team. Yes, it's happened, but the desperation must be there, like with Nashville wanting Suter back and hence trading for Paul Gaustad.
Just go back and see how many career grinders netted a first + in the last 3 years alone.
But again you are valuing him based on his aquisition cost (waivers) , last two years, byron has not been a grinder, but a typical New NHL player

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Go back to last 2 tdl. Only PEaves got a 1st and it was actually a 2nd with conditions attached. Shattenkirk got also a 1st but it was a multiple player deal.
If Mtl insists on a 1st, gotta give one or two of their 3 2nd rounders.

Byron + 2 2nd rounders for a late 1st?! Ridiculous.

I would not trade Byron if the only benefit is moving up a few spots in the draft. There is no reason for Montreal to add draft picks in any deadline deals.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Byron + 2 2nd rounders for a late 1st?! Ridiculous.

I would not trade Byron if the only benefit is moving up a few spots in the draft. There is no reason for Montreal to add draft picks in any deadline deals.
Talking Philly's pick (11th) here. Post 182

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Byron is worth more to us than what he can bring in a trade. He's a keeper. With Pleky and Patches and any combo of dmen getting moved in the next few weeks, we do need some leadership.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Talking Philly's pick (11th) here. Post 182

Ok, the 11th overall would be nice for sure, but why would Philly deal a lotto pick for Byron who only has one more year left on his deal? I'm working under the assumption that the greatest interest in Byron will come from contenders. If someone wants to offer a lotto pick for him, sure I'd consider adding from our end but I don't think it is a likely scenario.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Ok, the 11th overall would be nice for sure, but why would Philly deal a lotto pick for Byron who only has one more year left on his deal? I'm working under the assumption that the greatest interest in Byron will come from contenders. If someone wants to offer a lotto pick for him, sure I'd consider adding from our end but I don't think it is a likely scenario.
Of course not talking lottery pick. Just need to iron out conditions. Today its the 11th pick. So you make the condition pick 10 and lower.

Philly gets Byron for pk reasons, sweet deal plus speed. And they get some combo of Mtl's 3 2nd rounders.

Initial discussion was about taking cap dump as well.

If pick winds up 13-20 as it very well could be, trade makes sense.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The NHL was a different game back then. Tinordi would have been an NHLer had the game not changed.

Having said that, I had read articles before the draft touting all the Russian talent, so was hoping for Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, and kabanov (projected to go after the first round). I was hoping for Kuznetsov when he was still on the board, I believe he was ranked ahead of Tarasenko going in to the draft.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Exactly. I could see a team like the Blues being interested in Byron. They don't have much cap space left and while they will have a relief next year with Stasny's contract ending they'll also have to replace him if Thomas and Kyrou are not ready and Fabri is still injured. Knee injuries are always tricky. A guy like Byron could slot in for this year and next year while not hurting their cap much. He can play all positions. I could see a team like that being interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00