Player Discussion Paul Byron

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Pretty crazy stat, Byron has as many even strength goals as Ovechin since the start of last year and is tied for 26th most in the league over that period. Obviously Ovechkin scores a ton on the PP, but pretty impressive for a guy like Byron to have as many ES goals as the best sniper in the league who plays with centres like Backstrom/Kuznetsov.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He's got a strange skillset in a good way, but I'm not sure I'd put him on the power play. Pure speed is a funny thing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's not just the goals either. He's great on the PK , a very low maintenance player and can move up and down the line up no problem. His speed and grit make him one of my favorites.

Look at who led the league last season in True Shooting Percentage, defined as:

NHL True Shooting Percentage Leaders measures a players goals to total shot attempts, which includes shots on goals, shots that were blocked, and missed shots, to come up with a measure of the percentage of shots attempted that ended up as goals.

Here's the list: NHL True Shooting Percentage Leaders: 2016-17 NHL Season

Reactions: isthatso

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For me, he's the most exciting player on the team.

That speed creates something out of nothing.

member 256847

Pretty crazy stat, Byron has as many even strength goals as Ovechin since the start of last year and is tied for 26th most in the league over that period. Obviously Ovechkin scores a ton on the PP, but pretty impressive for a guy like Byron to have as many ES goals as the best sniper in the league who plays with centres like Backstrom/Kuznetsov.

The term underrated is loosly trown left and right on HFBoards, however it’s a real fit in this case. Best bang for the buck on that team.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
His 22-goal season was unexpected but now he's on the verge of surpassing it. Bergevin and Julien must be more than pleased to have him. If Drouin and Galchenyuk could produce at the same level the Habs would surely be in the playoffs!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
His 22-goal season was unexpected but now he's on the verge of surpassing it. Bergevin and Julien must be more than pleased to have him. If Drouin and Galchenyuk could produce at the same level the Habs would surely be in the playoffs!

I don't know how to break this to you,but there was a time when Galchenyuk was a 30 goal player on our team.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He’s a good player on a reasonable contract. I do think his game will fall off a cliff when he loses a half step. When that will be isn’t predictable but i wouldn’t wait too long. Plus in a year he will be one of those 30 year old UFA guys looking for a retirement contract that we may not be able to afford.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Byron has good value. 20 goals, very good on the PK, quick skater, works hard, on a cheap contract for 2 more years. I would want at least a 2nd round pick

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Byron has good value. 20 goals, very good on the PK, quick skater, works hard, on a cheap contract for 2 more years. I would want at least a 2nd round pick
I would want more. He has another year left at a bargain of a contract. If Eaves(rental) can get a late first, Byron should at least get that.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I want to see him back on a line with Chucky and Drouin. He played well there earlier this season, before Drouin went down. He also played well with Chucky and Radulov last year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Byron at this moment (and at the moment you wrote your post) is not on the verge of surpassing his 22 goals from last year. He is currently on pace for 20.

As for Galchenyuk, he has 9 goals (Byron has 10), so in terms of goals, he is scoring at the same level. But here's where you find out that Galchenyuk is producing MORE than Byron. Alex has 22 points while Byron has 15. Drouin also has more points than Byron (18 to Byron's 15).

Now, you expect both Galchenyuk and Drouin to score more than they are now. But it's not a question of producing at the same level as Byron, because they both have produced more. It is more a question of these kids producing at the level THEY can.

And this is not to take anything away from Byron. He may be on pace for 20 goals right now, but should he score 2 next game, he's back on pace for over 20 goals. I think Habs should explore moving him because he has value.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He is beyond awful, should be scratched to be honest. Have no idea how Carr takes a seat, and this idiot keeps getting a free pass because he is MB's claim to fame. Can't take a pass, loses the puck all over the ice, and always goes offside. He really pisses me off. I don't care about his 10 goals either, he causes 3x that with his awful play.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
trade him for any pick of this draft plz

I prefer they trade him for picks in the 2019 draft. Habs have a lot of picks in 2018. They have 4 in the first two rounds. 5 in the first three rounds, and a very good chance they will have 7 in the first 4 rounds (6 of those 7 having the potential to be Top-100 picks). They're in good shape heading into this year's draft.

If Byron (and Plekanec) and any other asset that is worth something in terms of picks get traded from here to the TDL, I would prefer they stock up in 2019 and 2020 draft picks.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
To try to win all the shootouts, give him all the shots. Quite a bit like Team USA had done with Oshie in a 2014 Winter Olympics game.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I was told in no uncertain terms this summer that Byron's shooting % would go down this year by advanced stats pundits because his shooting % was unsustainable. I argued that due to his speed, Byron gets more quality chances than other players but apparently that's not how reality works. My question to advanced stats geniuses out there, when should I expect Byron's shooting % to go down ?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I was told in no uncertain terms this summer that Byron's shooting % would go down this year by advanced stats pundits because his shooting % was unsustainable. I argued that due to his speed, Byron gets more quality chances than other players but apparently that's not how reality works. My question to advanced stats geniuses out there, when should I expect Byron's shooting % to go down ?

The arent advanced stats geniuses if they didn't look at his heat maps and see that his shooting % is sustainable.

Prior to tonight (and it went up tonight) his shooting percentage was 21% over 187 games as a Hab.

It was 18% over 325 career games.

At some point the sample size shows its sustainable, and I've been arguing that for a while.

Reactions: Phillip The Third

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->