Player Discussion Paul Byron

Apr 28, 2010
I've always loved Byron since day 1 we got him. His shorthanded goal vs the Flames in his first game back in Calgary made me a fan. I was in that building (Saddledome).

Thank god no team picked him up this season. He didn't deserve to be waived.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Byron’s speed created that OT goal, he entered the zone like he was shot out of a cannon.

And then he pulled a series of beautiful moves at top speed

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
E4QoNShWYAMi6n1

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
, Mr. Clutch.

I remember when we first got him. He was so fast and got so many breakaways, but didn't know how to finish them.

Then he started finishing more and more of them. Until this playoffs, where he's money in the bank.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he's scored some big goals for sure, that first vs the leafs though was still the best, sick f***ing goal.

So funny though when we got him how flames fans were saying he can't score on a breakaway if his life depended on it or something along those lines. Guess he learned how. :laugh:

Reactions: Trash Man

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Even if his contract seems high, he is still really usefull for the team. I still want him next year and don't want to deal assets to get rid of him.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Even if his contract seems high, he is still really usefull for the team. I still want him next year and don't want to deal assets to get rid of him.

He's been an absolute professional this year. Has played all over the lineup, been on waivers multiple times and every time he's back in the lineup he works his ass off.

Reactions: Yarice

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully he boosted his trade value enough for someone to take him.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Hopefully he boosted his trade value enough for someone to take him.
Why? He is a big reason for the team success this post-season. If we trade him, we will need another player just like him

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Why? He is a big reason for the team success this post-season. If we trade him, we will need another player just like him

Guys like Janmark and others like this can be had under 2M on short-term deals every single offseason.
I love what Byron is doing in those playoffs. But let us not ignore the big picture. He's still a guy who has huuuuge downs in the regular season and is paid 3.5M per year.
Let Tatar go, sacrifice the 1st round pick to Seattle so they take Drouin's contract, and somehow trade Byron, and all of a sudden, you have 14M to play with.

Reactions: dnl4ever

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Guys like Janmark and others like this can be had under 2M on short-term deals every single offseason.
I love what Byron is doing in those playoffs. But let us not ignore the big picture. He's still a guy who has huuuuge downs in the regular season and is paid 3.5M per year.
Let Tatar go, sacrifice the 1st round pick to Seattle so they take Drouin's contract, and somehow trade Byron, and all of a sudden, you have 14M to play with.
Janmark signed for 2,25 last summer BTW. And with Seattle coming this summer, there could be more money to give to players than last year (Depending on how much they want to spend). So not sure it will be that easy to replace him. I mean, if another team is willing to take Byron from us, that probably means that there were no cheaper options, unless we give them assets.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Byron's contract will have to be cleared off the books, because we will need that money to pay Suzuki, but it will likely happen after next season. There is no need to give away an asset now, just to get rid of a useful player and a leader like Byron.

Reactions: dnl4ever

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Byron's contract will have to be cleared off the books, because we will need that money to pay Suzuki, but it will likely happen after next season. There is no need to give away an asset now, just to get rid of a useful player and a leader like Byron.

To be honest, with a bottom-4 pick this year, and the outlooks following this year's run, I think the smart thing to do is to pay Seattle a 1st rounder to get Drouin off the books.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
To be honest, with a bottom-4 pick this year, and the outlooks following this year's run, I think the smart thing to do is to pay Seattle a 1st rounder to get Drouin off the books.

if MB has the balls to do that i'll start believing. But i think he'll double down on his mistake and think he can eventually get something good for Drouin in a trade.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
if MB has the balls to do that i'll start believing. But i think he'll double down on his mistake and think he can eventually get something good for Drouin in a trade.

That ship has sailed. And as much as I'll be called names for saying that, so has the respect of his teammates for him. I know people are all living in a fantasy land where there's absolutely no taboo about mental illness and whatnot, but you're talking about a bunch of guys who are playing banged up, with broken fingers, who get stiches on their nose "à frette" to get back to the action as quickly as possible, who literally kiss the boards to make a play. And now, next year, the guy who just flew off at the most important time of the year is going to be respected and welcomed back as "one of the boys". Yeah. Not going to happen.

As much as mental illness is serious matters, and as much as I don't doubt Drouin had to get off for whatever reason, that doesn't change the fact that you can't just go ahead like nothing happened. Not the way these guys are geared up.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
, Mr. Clutch.

I remember when we first got him. He was so fast and got so many breakaways, but didn't know how to finish them.

Then he started finishing more and more of them. Until this playoffs, where he's money in the bank.
There was a wrist injury when we got him, that's why he was waved... Bob Hartley was really sorry to lose him. Once healed, the hands came out and he started finishing. If he was 6' he'd be on a 50 points roll at 5.5+ cause he does everything well other than being able (not that he's not trying) to muscle out opponents. I love Byron, wish he was on a 2.8 contract but still, what a nice swiss knife player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad