Player Discussion Paul Byron

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I love the human, but good riddance to the player/contract.
His body broke down in a terrible way. I have sympathy for him because for a little bit it was like we got a free middle6er who played with intensity and he enjoyed the responsibilities and level of faith the team put in him. Terrific depth player.

The contract is bad because he couldn’t recover his level after his concussion and the lower body injuries. If he’s on IR for a lot of the year it ruins his chances at getting another contract next year so you have to feel for the guy.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
His body broke down in a terrible way. I have sympathy for him because for a little bit it was like we got a free middle6er who played with intensity and he enjoyed the responsibilities and level of faith the team put in him. Terrific depth player.

The contract is bad because he couldn’t recover his level after his concussion and the lower body injuries. If he’s on IR for a lot of the year it ruins his chances at getting another contract next year so you have to feel for the guy.
I don’t feel bad for millionaire athletes. I don’t care if he gets a contract. His concussion was his own fault he should have never fought that guy it was ridiculous and his ego is responsible for that.

Again, as a human I wish him love health happiness and everything great. As a hockey player I couldn’t care less about his career and the millions he’s sitting on. I just want him gone off of this team. Bergevin’s stench is all over him and his bad contract that most of us knew was a mistake. He should have been traded at peak value not giving a contract.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In his post-season press conference, when talking about his hip issues, he hinted that if it persists, he might contemplate retirement.

Monahan and Byron are close, and Sean could be someone Byron looks to as having to deal with this kind of injury. However, Monahan had the luxury of being under contract at that time, so he could take the time and know when he would return, he still had a contract to come back to. Whereas Byron is in the final year of his deal.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

He's always been a strong playoff performer for us & was absolutely outstanding in the 2021 run to Stanley Cup Finals. He made some epic plays that I will always remember.

Like Price & Weber, that run was a final push of his best game for us. They were all too injured to continue. We just didn't know it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don’t feel bad for millionaire athletes. I don’t care if he gets a contract. His concussion was his own fault he should have never fought that guy it was ridiculous and his ego is responsible for that.

Again, as a human I wish him love health happiness and everything great. As a hockey player I couldn’t care less about his career and the millions he’s sitting on. I just want him gone off of this team. Bergevin’s stench is all over him and his stupid contract that most of us knew was a mistake. He should have been traded at peak value not giving a contract.
His own fault? Did you expect Byron to skate away when Weegar squared off against him? I agree the fight was ridiculous, but in the real world Byron didn't have much choice and certainly can't be blamed for suffering a concussion because of it. The juvenile 'code' and bad luck were responsible.

Look, we know his contract ended up being a drag on the cap, but had he not suffered a hip injury he may have earned every penny. As it stands, Byron was an all-heart player who treated us to some amazingly clutch goals in our SCF run. I have nothing but respect for the person and the player.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Wild how different this team already is from the cinderella cup run. Feels like a completely different era even though it was less than a year and a half ago, they really squeezed every last drop out of that roster. I don't know why but Byron going on LTIR feels like the closure of that era.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Wild how different this team already is from the cinderella cup run. Feels like a completely different era even though it was less than a year and a half ago, they really squeezed every last drop out of that roster. I don't know why but Byron going on LTIR feels like the closure of that era.
Price, Weber, Perry, Staal – 2021 was a mini Team Canada reunion on the Habs. If Price, Weber, Gallagher, and Danault hadn't been injured for long stretches before the playoffs, Montreal would have finished considerably higher and looked less 'Cinderella-ish'.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His own fault? Did you expect Byron to skate away when Weegar squared off against him? I agree the fight was ridiculous, but in the real world Byron didn't have much choice and certainly can't be blamed for suffering a concussion because of it. The juvenile 'code' and bad luck were responsible.

Look, we know his contract ended up being a drag on the cap, but had he not suffered a hip injury he may have earned every penny. As it stands, Byron was an all-heart player who treated us to some amazingly clutch goals in our SCF run. I have nothing but respect for the person and the player.
Absolute respect for Paul Byron who went from being a waived player to carving himself out a 500 game + career.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022

Yes his own fault, yes he should have skated away. Just like a Chiuahua should run away from a pitbull. Hockey is a game and fighting is illegal in our society,“in the real world” he had every choice, he chose to fight so the consequences are his fault.

If Connor Mcgregor calls your mother a whore to your face it’s “code” to punch him right? “Code” right? You’ll die if you punch him but it’s “code” so you have to do it. Blame the “code”. Nonsense.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes his own fault, yes he should have skated away. Just like a Chiuahua should run away from a pitbull. Hockey is a game and fighting is illegal in our society,“in the real world” he had every choice, he chose to fight so the consequences are his fault.

If Connor Mcgregor calls your mother a whore to your face it’s “code” to punch him right? “Code” right? You’ll die if you punch him but it’s “code” so you have to do it. Blame the “code”. Nonsense.
I agree that most hockey fights are useless, but the vast majority don't injure either participant. I don't see the comparison of Byron/Weegar with me and McGregor, but whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad