Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Are you saying Scheifele deserved an $11M contract? You realize that would have made him - with a career-high 61 points - the highest paid player in the NHL at the time, right?
We all know Mark Scheifele accepted a home discount when he re-signed. I believe he should have been paid $8.5 M annually if management had projected to pay the older Blake Wheeler $8.25 M annually.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Patrik Laine plays lazy and uninspired. His defence is a liability to the team. A sport psychologist could help him immensely.

I believe Laine needs to be skating and cycling at all times. When he doesn't have the puck, he ought to play physically against the opposing winger and if he gets bloodied, look at it as a badge of honor. Instead of parking himself at the usual spot in the offensive zone waiting for that patented one timer, he ought to skate to all possible open areas. Lastly, even when he's not producing, he needs to be a happy cheerleader for Wheeler, Connor and Scheifele. Be a team player!
Yes change him into every other player instead of the generational phenomenon that he has always been.

He knows darn well how to play. He always has.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
We can credit Gary Roberts for training Mark Scheifele to be the 100% consummate player that he is.
55 has taken a lot of shifts and games off this year. I hope he and 26 are "saving themselves" for the playoffs, but I fear they are already pretty burnt out. They often look VERY slow.

I love Shief's drive to get better, but there is a limit to how much physical work can and should be done.

I'm all for 29 joining Gary Roberts for a summer or two though. He needs to change his approach, work on skills though too, not just fitness.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes change him into every other player instead of the generational phenomenon that he has always been.

He knows darn well how to play. He always has.
I'll take him playing like an other player and finishing opportunities for $500. Right now he looks an AHL who floats.
To me it's the percentage of how often shots that end up in the back of the net should set him apart.
Especially when he's not scoring lest he can do is tilt time of PO.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We all know Mark Scheifele accepted a home discount when he re-signed. I believe he should have been paid $8.5 M annually if management had projected to pay the older Blake Wheeler $8.25 M annually.
You would sign a guy coming off 49 and 61 point seasons to 8x8.5M$. Dear god. There was very little if any "hometown discount".

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
And years of development that laine still has ahead of him.

Let's not forget that they used to call Scheifele "Bambi" when he was Laine's age.

Not making any excuses for Laine's current level of play because obviously he has been a top level guy already for a couple of years, but he can still, definitely, turn it around as far as physical development goes. The Laine that you see falling over on his skates and getting roughed up on the boards, can be a pretty different guy when he's 24 to 25, provided that he puts in the necessary work to get stronger.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Can't even watch the Jets anymore, i feel so bad for the kid. You can see how he has absolutely no confidence, he's given up on himself completely. I saw him being mentally weak a couple of years ago already, but people didn't want to believe it because he said wacky stuff in the interviews.

I do believe that a trade deadline move will most likely kick-start his goal scoring again, but he needs to get his head into the right place and he can't just tilt off the face of the earth when he goes few games without a goal. This season might even cause a change in his off-season training, if the Jets management sees that as part of the problem.

I do find it very strange that there's been no line changes during this ridiculous drought. In October Maurice didn't watch his scoring problems for even a month before putting him on the third line.

Anyways, no matter what anybody says, Patrik will be back.

Last edited:

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Can't even watch the Jets anymore, i feel so bad for the kid. You can see how he has absolutely no confidence, he's given up on himself completely. I saw him being mentally weak a couple of years ago already, but people didn't want to believe it because he said wacky stuff in the interviews.

I do believe that a trade deadline move will most likely kick-start his goal scoring again, but he needs to get his head into the right place and he can't just tilt off the face of the earth when he goes few games without a goal. This season might even cause a change in his off-season training, if the Jets management sees that as part of the problem.

I do find it very strange that there's been no line changes during this ridiculous drought. In October Maurice didn't watch his scoring problems for even a month before putting him on the third line.

Anyways, no matter what anybody says, Patrik will be back.

I will fully understand if that happens but it might not be good idea, just watch how Rantanen, Ristolainen has developed under Rautala Dokumentti: Näin Laine, Ristolainen ja kumppanit harjoittelivat kesän it takes several years to get results. Changing off-season training now would put him even further to becoming a complete player.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I will fully understand if that happens but it might not be good idea, just watch how Rantanen, Ristolainen has developed under Rautala Dokumentti: Näin Laine, Ristolainen ja kumppanit harjoittelivat kesän it takes several years to get results. Changing off-season training now would put him even further to becoming a complete player.
It does take several years and it's a lot about your build and genes how fast strength, agility etc develops. He doesn't need to stop training with Rautala, but training with Rautala doesn't stop him from training other things with other people. Or by himself.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It does take several years and it's a lot about your build and genes how fast strength, agility etc develops. He doesn't need to stop training with Rautala, but training with Rautala doesn't stop him from training other things with other people. Or by himself.
He could benefit immensely from focusing on certain skills this summer. That, and the same old skating-strength-explosiveness routine we've been going on for the past two years.

I hope he trains with Scheifele this summer.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I want to see Patrik improve and reach his potential as much as anyone, but I hope people will temper their expectations and realize that all comparisons have been to other players years older and further along in their development.

Those players mentioned were no more developed as NHL players, than Patrik is now. So when we want him to follow the same training as another player, just remember where that player was at 20 years old. There are very good players right now who have followed the same path that Patrik is on, who are a good indication of the training quality that is being Provided in Finland.

Just my two cents.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
cliffs: paul maurice

Exactly. I feel that Maurice is extremely brilliant at spotting, developing and managing bottom 6 talent. He has spotted the potential and developed talents like Taney, Lowry, Copp, Lemieux and Appleton.

However, and confusingly, he is absolutely horrid at developing and managing top 6 level talents. He often cannot seem to grasp the obvious in this area.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
This just reinforces my belief that Duchene would be a much better center for Laine.

I do wonder if the talent within the current lineup is properly optimised with lines matched appropriately, do we need to make a trade?

Reactions: sipowicz

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Goals since Laine came into the league (two of these players are 20):

upload_2019-2-18_13-12-12.png

Not a bad list at all. Goals/60:

upload_2019-2-18_13-16-37.png

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
People don't realize Duchene is not a play driver (or a good one at least).

This is why people say we need Stone instead, since he's the better player overall and dominant at 5 v 5, one of the best in the league. Laine doesn't specifically need a better center, he needs a play driver.
i'd be frothing at the mouth with a laine-scheifele-stone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad