Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
He needs to look at old videos of Jagrs play along the boards. He was a master of puck protection while making finesse plays as well

Watching videos or playing video games does not do much help in that. He should start practising like Jagr if he wants to be even close as good as Jagr was in board play.

"His workouts are legendary. Following games Jagr will put on the weight vest and do skating drills (he recently did this after the overtime games in the Stanley Cup Final). Sometimes he will perform a combination of plyometrics, quick feet drills, various leg exercises and sprints in the hallways while all his teammates have showered, dressed and left the building. Other times he puts weights on the end of stick does a variety of dryland drills and movements to train the shoulders, wrists, and grip. Consistently day in and day out Jagr performs workouts that leave many in the NHL shaking their heads at how dedicated he is with his fitness.""

Coaching Points: Newest NJ Devil Jaromir Jagr's Training Methods

Less Fortnite or watching videos and more training like Jagr.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Watching videos or playing video games does not do much help in that. He should start practising like Jagr if he wants to be even close as good as Jagr was in board play.

"His workouts are legendary. Following games Jagr will put on the weight vest and do skating drills (he recently did this after the overtime games in the Stanley Cup Final). Sometimes he will perform a combination of plyometrics, quick feet drills, various leg exercises and sprints in the hallways while all his teammates have showered, dressed and left the building. Other times he puts weights on the end of stick does a variety of dryland drills and movements to train the shoulders, wrists, and grip. Consistently day in and day out Jagr performs workouts that leave many in the NHL shaking their heads at how dedicated he is with his fitness.""

Coaching Points: Newest NJ Devil Jaromir Jagr's Training Methods

Less Fortnite or watching videos and more training like Jagr.

Yeah Jagr is a monster when it comes to training. Heard Sid is the same way.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He needs to look at old videos of Jagrs play along the boards. He was a master of puck protection while making finesse plays as well
We've seen that from him occasionally. When he's on top of his game, he's also more physical around the net. I agree though, his physical play will need to be a big part of his game.

cdem72

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that Laine may have had a better games than those previous, but one play says it all! Third period at centre ice he trips a guy and gets a penalty. Result is a two-on- one for Avs. From his trailing position at centre ice, Laine takes one stride, coasts, then two strides and coasts, as Avs players hustle towards our net and score! Sorry, that just does not seem to indicate any sort of effort to prevent a potential scoring play. Just put in the effort and good things will come.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I agree that Laine may have had a better games than those previous, but one play says it all! Third period at centre ice he trips a guy and gets a penalty. Result is a two-on- one for Avs. From his trailing position at centre ice, Laine takes one stride, coasts, then two strides and coasts, as Avs players hustle towards our net and score! Sorry, that just does not seem to indicate any sort of effort to prevent a potential scoring play. Just put in the effort and good things will come.

You could say the same for scheif wheeler connor and many others most nights too tho. This is not a Laine exclusive thing .

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cdem72

Oct 27, 2017
You could say the same for scheif wheeler connor and many others most nights too tho. This is not a Laine exclusive thing .
I agree 100%. Scheifele was pretty weak on the back check on Avs shorty goal! First line may still be producing but many times they seem to lack imagination on the PP, make bad passes and miss the net. As a whole, Jets miss the nets way too many times. Something is lacking in our play overall; I fear an early exit if overall play doesn’t become more consistent.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I posted this somewhere

Hard for anybody to score if they dont play much.
No top line players score points with the same amount of ice time as Laine.
His ice time is getting shorter.
He already holds the record for the only player to score 40+goals in a year with less than 17mins avg time on ice.
You need to be in the game flow and you need minutes to score.......

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I posted this somewhere

Hard for anybody to score if they dont play much.
No top line players score points with the same amount of ice time as Laine.
His ice time is getting shorter.
He already holds the record for the only player to score 40+goals in a year with less than 17mins avg time on ice.
You need to be in the game flow and you need minutes to score.......

He needs to have a better effect on keeping pucks out of his own zone and net to get more ice. That's basic. This is a team trying to win they aren't going to force a guy out there for 19 minutes a night so he can score a few goals but give up the same amount or more. 2-3 years ago sure.

Reactions: PhilJets

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He needs to have a better effect on keeping pucks out of his own zone and net to get more ice. That's basic. This is a team trying to win they aren't going to force a guy out there for 19 minutes a night so he can score a few goals but give up the same amount or more. 2-3 years ago sure.

That is true for some part.

But when he had 44 goals to cap off the year.

To begin the year he didnt get the ice time to start when he deserved it.

Went home (global series) probably had a good talk with close circle.

Then went and scored lots of goals, the 2nd best month in the history with less games.

He didnt get the minutes in December.

This is the same with other work in normal world. When things like this happens employees get demoralize.

And i understand your point.
Team is trying to win and im good with that.
My concern is some fans dont understand it ;)
And probably the coach, this guy is his most prize assett. Laine called it out load - twice;

• I was informed more minutes
  • And he sarcastically once mentioned its hard for him to score in the bench.

He will pull through. Learning it the hard way, but he will..

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That is true for some part.

But when he had 44 goals to cap off the year.

To begin the year he didnt get the ice time to start when he deserved it.

Went home probably had a good talk with close circle.

Went and scored goals, the 2nd best month in the history with less games.

He didnt get the minutes in December.

This is the same with other work in normal world. When things like this happens employees get demoralize.

And i understand your point.
Team is trying to win and im good with that.
My concern is some fans dont understand it ;)
And probably the coach, this guy is his most prize assett. Laine called it out load that twice;

I was informed more minutes
And he sarcastically once mentioned its hard for him to score in the bench.

He will pull through. Learning it the hard way, but he will..
Do they demoralized or do they get an attitude of showing up their boss, doing their work just as well, and getting the heck out of Dodge when they get the opportunity?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Are you talking about CSW or Laine? Because that is excactly what our 1st line has been doing...this season...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Do they demoralized or do they get an attitude of showing up their boss, doing their work just as well, and getting the heck out of Dodge when they get the opportunity?

They get demoralize special at a young age.

Specially when you are promise and expected it. You could see it in his face in the pre season interview he was excited for more opportunity.
I guess maybe he felt what more he needed to do? Not that its right, but its what it is.

I handle lotssss of people, things go sour when one of my managers don't handle it the right way with employees.

The best is to have a dialogue. We havent here any from the team. But im sure they did (we hope). Get employee on track specially with the young ones.

From my experience, we actually had 2 millenial employees they think differently (its not bad but different).
I had to take a crash course to understand.

Laine also as good as talented he is, the way he moves, his online games, he mingles, he still is a teenager at heart. He needs to change that quickly in order to be elite. Talent will get him 40 goals alone but he will learn soon enough that he needs to turn a page.

He is motivated enough, just right now his hormones are more of a teenager still :laugh:.
He needs a mentor. And it seems like he doesnt have one (in the Jets team).

Reactions: Mbraunm

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We have to get Laine scoring again , if that means playing with Scheif , so be it . Maybe because Laine has scored so much and made it look so frickin easy i'm expecting too much from him . He is a 2nd overall pick though so i want more scoring out of him than what's been happening so far in 2019 .

Jyri

Nov 24, 2017
Philjets is absolutely correct.
The main problem in this team is that it is not dynamic. There is too little inner competition.
If 1st line does not play well and give everything they got on the ice, it doesn't matter. Line remains the same and they get + 20min icetime still.
Demoralizing effect is the main reason for not being able to give your best.

Lack of possibility to promotion kills effort.
If one thinks himself as employee who has no possibility to get promotion dispite how well he does his job. How long will he give his best to the employer? Not very long!
Laine has done well in the past. Sheer joy of playing in the NHL has been enough. Thats not enough anymore!

As young and ambitious player he wanted to be on ice and show that he can be no1 scorer in whole league. I think that he has done that allready.
Has he got reward for it? I think not.

I dont think anyone can disagree that in november and december Laine should have got 1st line chance.

Hes pissed about his position as 2st line guy. He wants more. For some unknown reason PoMo will not want to do changes to lineups no matter how our guys play. Has Laine said something to PoMo to piss him off? Or do W&S have some kind of co-operation deal going on?

Nevertheless I feel confident that this team will sort things out and play amazing games inbthe future!

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Philjets is absolutely correct.
The main problem in this team is that it is not dynamic. There is too little inner competition.
If 1st line does not play well and give everything they got on the ice, it doesn't matter. Line remains the same and they get + 20min icetime still.
Demoralizing effect is the main reason for not being able to give your best.

Lack of possibility to promotion kills effort.
If one thinks himself as employee who has no possibility to get promotion dispite how well he does his job. How long will he give his best to the employer? Not very long!
Laine has done well in the past. Sheer joy of playing in the NHL has been enough. Thats not enough anymore!

As young and ambitious player he wanted to be on ice and show that he can be no1 scorer in whole league. I think that he has done that allready.
Has he got reward for it? I think not.

I dont think anyone can disagree that in november and december Laine should have got 1st line chance.

Hes pissed about his position as 2st line guy. He wants more. For some unknown reason PoMo will not want to do changes to lineups no matter how our guys play. Has Laine said something to PoMo to piss him off? Or do W&S have some kind of co-operation deal going on?

Nevertheless I feel confident that this team will sort things out and play amazing games inbthe future!

there is no need to go all conspiracy theory here.

you, or I know absolutely nothing about what goes on in the locker room or between management and a player.

could it be that there are other forwards that are better at hitting and digging in corners, you know, important things in retaining or obtaining puck control?

could the recent history of this teams ability to develop young talent play a factor?

are mr laine's personal stats worth more than the team?

or could it be that this teams format is to play fast and hard, with hitting and board battles a fundamental

something that mr laine has never been depended on to provide.

recent play by patrik in the physical side of the game, tells me he is taking it better than you are

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
From my experience, we actually had 2 millenial employees they think differently (its not bad but different).
I had to take a crash course to understand.

What if I told you that every player on the Jets other than Laine is a millennial and even Laine is borderline millennial?

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I'm now pretty sure the reason they're aren't breaking up the 1st line to incorporate Laine is that they've been planning on getting him outside help at the deadline the entire time. Sucks for both Laine and Little to have to wait that long, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me with pomo not bothering to even throw Perreault on their wing which has worked well in the past.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What if I told you that every player on the Jets other than Laine is a millennial and even Laine is borderline millennial?
You are talking about some of the genration x and 80's

Basically if we break it down to the cream of the crop on Jets team.

Its
Laine
Connor
Ehlers

At forward

Niku
At defense

Ehlers secured already

Connor , Wheeler had to talk to him to man up.

And Niku he did something 2 months ago.

Im not even gonna talk about roslo, lemiuex and appleton as they are different case.
Same at regular work. You have your best assetts and supporting assetts.

Example.
There are dishwashers who comes to work , they have pressure but not the same pressure as the sales agent who needs to bring in numbers.

So by my example there is already different physological scenario for Laine
Aswell.
He came straight to N.A. in the NHL at 18 and played a full season.
How many euro did that? A handfull.

But yeah you are correct also...:) if you put it the way i think you are implying.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Patrik Laine plays lazy and uninspired. His defence is a liability to the team. A sport psychologist could help him immensely.

I believe Laine needs to be skating and cycling at all times. When he doesn't have the puck, he ought to play physically against the opposing winger and if he gets bloodied, look at it as a badge of honor. Instead of parking himself at the usual spot in the offensive zone waiting for that patented one timer, he ought to skate to all possible open areas. Lastly, even when he's not producing, he needs to be a happy cheerleader for Wheeler, Connor and Scheifele. Be a team player!

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I'm not saying he has none. I'm just not sure it's anywhere close to the drive Scheif has. Scehif eats sleeps and breathes hockey. Laine eats sleeps and breathes something... not sure it's hockey.
We can credit Gary Roberts for training Mark Scheifele to be the 100% consummate player that he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad