Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The trouble with this stretch is no one who has ever scored 44 goals has had a down stretch like this for 3 months going on 4 and completely forgotten how to play the way that made them successful.
3-4 months? It's been 2 and change.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
3-4 months? It's been 2 and change.

October then a lull then December, January, going into February with a giant jump in November where he shot 33%.

I suppose saying 3 month stretch is disingenuous. It is a 2 month stretch going on 3 with a really solid November.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
The few posts I've seen entertaining the thought of trading Laine are pretty embarrassing. Reminds me of what people thought of Scheifele.

The nickname Bambi for Scheifele didn't start out as an affectionate nickname like it is now. You'd think people would have learned to have more patience after watching Scheifs develop, but maybe some people never learn

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The few posts I've seen entertaining the thought of trading Laine are pretty embarrassing. Reminds me of what people thought of Scheifele.

The nickname Bambi for Scheifele didn't start out as an affectionate nickname like it is now. You'd think people would have learned to have more patience after watching Scheifs develop, but maybe some people never learn

False equivalence. Scheifs drive to be better is unmatched from any of the kids I've ever seen come through this team. Just because he has it doesn't mean every single player that comes through our system will.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Those people don't remember game days when people would post "Scheifele Down!" as a joke because he couldn't stand up if he got within 2 feet of the boards. He seems to have done pretty well over the past few years.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
False equivalence. Scheifs drive to be better is unmatched from any of the kids I've ever seen come through this team. Just because he has it doesn't mean every single player that comes through our system will.

I don't think there is any proof that Laine isn't working his butt off to get better. He wants to be the best in the world.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Absolutely nobody was saying this 5-7 years ago when he was just starting out and struggling. People were saying how we should have drafted couturier instead.

And when you've accomplished everything that Laine has accomplished at the age of 20, it's fairly silly to insinuate he has no drive

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I'm not going to bash Laine ... he's just a kid and is still learning but boy oh boy has he fallen from grace. The sport shows don't even mention his name now when talking about shooters and contracts.

Reactions: DuckyChuck

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Absolutely nobody was saying this 5-7 years ago when he was just starting out and struggling. People were saying how we should have drafted couturier instead.

And when you've accomplished everything that Laine has accomplished at the age of 20, it's fairly silly to insinuate he has no drive

I'm not saying he has none. I'm just not sure it's anywhere close to the drive Scheif has. Scehif eats sleeps and breathes hockey. Laine eats sleeps and breathes something... not sure it's hockey.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Yes, I remember the huge amount of angst over how Couturier was doing so much better than Scheif at some points in their development.

It's odd that Scheifele is held up as such an example when people talk about Laine, but the resemblance at that age is uncanny. Many people didn't want him in the NHL for a few years with lots of talk of sending him back to the AHL. Little of his development showed up for years after that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This thread is just degenerating into a bunch of conjecture. It would be a whole lot better if people stuck to actual facts and things they actually know.

What don't we know? Anything we are going off of is either said or done by Laine.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
What don't we know? Anything we are going off of is either said or done by Laine.
Oh c'mon, you honestly believe that? I think you take a lot of what is said in soundbites and extrapolate them to a large degree. He didn't skate or shoot all summer, therefore...

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I don't know much but I do know this, you don't give up on a 20 year old that scored 44 goals last year, yes he is scuttling this year but the team has to do everything in their power to get him back on track if not this year next year

Reactions: Ducky10 and Jedub

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I wouldn't worry to much about the current state of Laine's play. In every business situation , I always say - "what's the worse that could happen." ?? The absolute worst with Laine, is that he scores you 38 - 50 goals per year, and is just "a goal scorer" with a flawed game, that's incomplete at the moment. Not to bad at the worst situation. If he does score 50 goals, likely he'd only have 35 assists -total= 85 points. He's not that good a playmaker like Wheeler is, for example.

At the best he develops his game, gains strength as he ages, and becomes an all around player, who can score as well. This is what we all hope ideally to be the case.

In order to determine that, you need a lot of experience with people, and judging their characters, and also their physical potential and then make a decision. I believe it took Mckinnon from Colorado 4-5 years to come into his own, and same with Sceifele. This obviously means you need foresight and a whole lot of patience. I also think these big bodied players take longer to grow into their bodies.

This can be a very big advantage to the Jets right now for Laine, as he won't command the kind of money it's suggested that he wants --like $ 9-10 mil per year. Maybe because of his bad play, you can get him on a long term deal, at a great price, the same that was done with Scheifele ??

OR

The other option is you trade him for a guy like Duchene or Stone, or someone of that calibre, that will score close to what you "hope" that Laine will. Guys like Duchene will put up about 90 to 100 points per year -- so what would you lose with them ?? You "might" lose a little if Laine becomes a 120 point a year player, and I rather doubt that, and if he does --your only down 20 points or so. It's really a good problem to have, if you handle it right, and I think Chevy will.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What's wrong with Kraft dinner damnit . :laugh: The video gaming could help his hand eye coordination also .;) Laine will start scoring again , how many goals has he scored and even he probably said to himself , how the hell did that go in . To me it's more the law of averages , it will eventually turn back in his favor again .

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad