Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
It will be eye-opening if we get a rental 2C for Laine and he goes for a tear like with Stastny. Starting the next season with Little and Laine stapled together again would then drive me crazy :)

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I think last game there were good signs again from Laine. His hand-eye coordination was better (knocking the puck down mid air) and trying to engage physically. But that chemistry issue wont be solved that way. It's really sad that Laine is not the only one who could benefit having a line mate palying a different game. Little must be frustrated as h*ll too and I'd guess Roslo is a bit confused out there too. We'll see what Chevy can pull off and what it'll bring.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'll just leave this year to remind everyone about who Laine is... this is his 18-year old rookie season.

He's slumped badly in the past 3 months, but let's not forget his phenomenal skill and potential.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Wheeler hates the left side too. If Stone is with the Jets you can basically guarantee that him and Wheeler will be our top 6 RWers.

Maurice could play both Wheeler and Stone on the top line RW and Scheif would play off-Center to balance things out. It's a bold gambit, but that's the sort of innovative thinking we've come to expect from Maurice. :sarcasm:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Maurice could play both Wheeler and Stone on the top line RW and Scheif would play off-Center to balance things out. It's a bold gambit, but that's the sort of innovative thinking we've come to expect from Maurice. :sarcasm:

haha Mo is a typical NHL coach. Imagine if Babcock was outr coach, Laine would already be on the 4th line. Or Quennville who likely would have scratched Laine already by now. The almighty Trotz wont play guys if they can't hold their own defensively. We think the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence but it's the exact same really.

Reactions: Gotaf7 and Jimby

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think last game there were good signs again from Laine. His hand-eye coordination was better (knocking the puck down mid air) and trying to engage physically. But that chemistry issue wont be solved that way. It's really sad that Laine is not the only one who could benefit having a line mate palying a different game. Little must be frustrated as h*ll too and I'd guess Roslo is a bit confused out there too. We'll see what Chevy can pull off and what it'll bring.
I still think that Roslovic has the skill and capability to be a really good linemate for Laine. He creates space with his great speed in the offensive zone and has very good vision. My concern is that the line needs more offensive zone time. For that, I would put a new C with them, with Copp being at the top of my list. He is great in his own zone, and is very powerful on the forecheck to generate offensive zone time.

For now...

Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler (face tough competition)
Connor-Little-Appleton (feast on lower opposition)
Laine-Copp-Roslovic (can score, with Copp providing strong D)
Lemieux-Lowry-Tanev (grinding line)

When Ehlers is back...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Appleton
Laine-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

When the Jets acquire Stone... :naughty:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Copp-Stone
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

Reactions: Jmiller1

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still think that Roslovic has the skill and capability to be a really good linemate for Laine. He creates space with his great speed in the offensive zone and has very good vision. My concern is that the line needs more offensive zone time. For that, I would put a new C with them, with Copp being at the top of my list. He is great in his own zone, and is very powerful on the forecheck to generate offensive zone time.

For now...

When Ehlers is back...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Appleton
Laine-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Copp-Stone
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

I'm still not convinced Copp is going to be any different then Little. Looking at how they move the puck, enter the zone and cycle they play a very similar game. In fact I think Copp would actually work better WITH Little then with Laine. On top of that Copp is actually among the worst Jet forwards at passing to dangerous areas of the ice. And much like Little he likes to defer entries and if he doesn't defer, he dumps it in and we all know that Laine is basically useless on the cycle right now. For the one millionth time I'll say it again Laine causes most of his damage in two ways. On the PP and off the rush. Get him a center that can enter the zone and make passes to dangerous scoring areas and he will thrive. Give him someone like Little, Copp or Lowry and he will not. They are much more about the cycle and maintaining possession and driving the net. Hell Tanev might be a better winger for Laine just based on how he generates offence and enters and exits the zone.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

For now...

When Ehlers is back...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Appleton
Laine-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Copp-Stone
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev
Come on man copp as a 2nd line centre. He' s been on this team for years. He practises every day with the team. They know what they have cause they've seen him practice. He is a bottom 6 player as a winger or a 4th line centre on this team. If they thought he had any offense he would at least play on the pp some times.

Reactions: thegr8one66

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Simple test to see if Laine would benefit from a better centre: play him on the first line with Schiefele and Wheeler and see if he goes on a tear. Of course, he's spent a lot of time with our best offensive players on the power play and nothing has happened for quite some time.

In other words, I really don't think a different number 2 centre will make much difference. I'd love to see Duchene on the Jets, more for what he can do on his own rather than him igniting Laine. As for Laine, he's a one-trick pony who needs to develop different ways to score... primarily from different positions on the ice. Up close. In the slot. On the opposite side. Everybody has figured out his one-timer from the circle.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Simple test to see if Laine would benefit from a better centre: play him on the first line with Schiefele and Wheeler and see if he goes on a tear. Of course, he's spent a lot of time with our best offensive players on the power play and nothing has happened for quite some time.

In other words, I really don't think a different number 2 centre will make much difference. I'd love to see Duchene on the Jets, more for what he can do on his own rather than him igniting Laine. As for Laine, he's a one-trick pony who needs to develop different ways to score... primarily from different positions on the ice. Up close. In the slot. On the opposite side. Everybody has figured out his one-timer from the circle.
The lack of pp production is an issue with the pp itself though.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Unless Ehlers comes back I would move Laine down in an effort to find a workable 2nd line combo. Then if / when we get some trade deadline acquisition, we can have 2a/2b sitution like (roslo/little/perreault and laine/duchene/ehlers).

I think the pressure on Laine is starting to ease up as ‘wrong’ as that may sound. This thing has gone on long enough that people are moving on to talk about other things and perhaps he can have a better perspective to measure his performance on work and effort rather than results.

Obviously he’ll need results to come in eventually, but wherher it’s next game or in 15 games from now is not such a big deal.. if it happens this season.

Reactions: JetsUK

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, according to Maurice Laine has been taking it easy on his teammates in practice by not shooting it the way he can. But today he's back to shooting it the way he can in practice. According to Maurice and McIntyre, it's a fearsome sight. Let's hope it translates into upcoming games.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Simple test to see if Laine would benefit from a better centre: play him on the first line with Schiefele and Wheeler and see if he goes on a tear.

Laine has played his NHL career so far as a RW, and I have never really liked that "EA Sports NHL line", Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler. I don't think it's a good idea to try that line anymore. Yes, they are the three best forwards, but chemistry and role matching doesn't go like that.

Instead, why don't they just swap Laine and Wheeler for a couple of games? That has not happened for more than 2 years now!

Ps. I am all in for letting Laine to play LW, but it's really not something you would like to do in the middle of a slump and after 3 straight years forcing him to play as a RW.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So, according to Maurice Laine has been taking it easy on his teammates in practice by not shooting it the way he can. But today he's back to shooting it the way he can in practice. According to Maurice and McIntyre, it's a fearsome sight. Let's hope it translates into upcoming games.

I think this is a good sign. Sometimes you gotta give it all in practice to make it translate.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
From WFP:

And it had been nearly three weeks since he met with the media to discuss the longest slump of his career.

"I think it's getting better. Obviously I'm not scoring, but overall it's OK. Creating chances, playing OK defence. Not allowing that many goals anymore, as a line. So that's obviously good. There's always room to improve. But I think it's decent right now," Laine said about the state of his game.

"I'm not worrying about that too much. It's just hockey. It's not the end of the world. Just try to do my best this year as well as I can, and always leave it here and just be like a normal person off the ice," said Laine

"Just work hard every day, try to improve myself as a player during practice. Always try to play hard every night. That's the way to handle it."

"So this is all new for all of us. It’s new for Patty, he’s never gone through this before, I’ve never coached a player this extreme before, that can shoot the way he does and then it doesn’t go for him. But we’re learning together. I know that he’s done the things we’ve asked him to do after practice. He’s worked at it. He’s 20. This is not an easy situation," said Maurice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From WFP:

And it had been nearly three weeks since he met with the media to discuss the longest slump of his career.

"I think it's getting better. Obviously I'm not scoring, but overall it's OK. Creating chances, playing OK defence. Not allowing that many goals anymore, as a line. So that's obviously good. There's always room to improve. But I think it's decent right now," Laine said about the state of his game.

"I'm not worrying about that too much. It's just hockey. It's not the end of the world. Just try to do my best this year as well as I can, and always leave it here and just be like a normal person off the ice," said Laine

"Just work hard every day, try to improve myself as a player during practice. Always try to play hard every night. That's the way to handle it."

"So this is all new for all of us. It’s new for Patty, he’s never gone through this before, I’ve never coached a player this extreme before, that can shoot the way he does and then it doesn’t go for him. But we’re learning together. I know that he’s done the things we’ve asked him to do after practice. He’s worked at it. He’s 20. This is not an easy situation," said Maurice.
I like how Laine responded. Doesn't seem surly or moping, but saying the right, generic things.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Laine has played his NHL career so far as a RW, and I have never really liked that "EA Sports NHL line", Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler. I don't think it's a good idea to try that line anymore. Yes, they are the three best forwards, but chemistry and role matching doesn't go like that.

Instead, why don't they just swap Laine and Wheeler for a couple of games? That has not happened for more than 2 years now!

Ps. I am all in for letting Laine to play LW, but it's really not something you would like to do in the middle of a slump and after 3 straight years forcing him to play as a RW.
I only thought of putting Laine and Wheeler together for the fact that if Scheifele AND Wheeler can't set a guy up for a few goals, nobody can.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

Haha just kidding. Hope he puts it together soon and does his thing. :)

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Practice reports fail to excite me as much as they do PomPom PoMo.

Always amazed how quick he is to praise his players, specially for practice.

Reactions: thegr8one66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad