GDT: Around The League: 2024 Playoffs Edition Round 2- “Oh, You Didn’t Know? You’re Ass Better Call SOMEBODY!!!!!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Sorry, I thought that was obvious. ;)
It fooled me I am afraid to say so I deleted my post which was written while I was doing three things. I thought it was a shocking thing for a player to say of course, but my obvious bias against the player kicked in. This is exactly what such things play on. Scary world we are about to enter. Two years from now this stuff will be infinitely more challenging to detect. Nvidia's new Blackwell chip is going to be a game changer as far as AI and video is concerned from the sounds of it.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Putting their heads down and plowing forward, you go Kings

The Kings fans on these boards must be distraught. It seemed that the majority were hoping for an Oilers thrashing as the final straw for Blake.

It seems from the Kings board that Blake feels they were right there with the Oilers and they are on the right path and Robitaille is on the same page. Does this remind anyone of anything?

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I feel like the Kings are between a rock and a hard place.

1-3-1 can't beat the Oilers, so would have to change it obviously. However, they have shit goaltending and an overall mediocre blue line (IMO) weakening the stop gap that would support a more open neutral zone system. So if they go away from the 1-3-1, do they even get to the point of getting into the playoffs to inevitably lose to the Oilers?

The answer isn't the system, it's their shitty personnel on defense and in net. 1-3-1 is a red herring.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It fooled me I am afraid to say so I deleted my post which was written while I was doing three things. I thought it was a shocking thing for a player to say of course, but my obvious bias against the player kicked in. This is exactly what such things play on. Scary world we are about to enter. Two years from now this stuff will be infinitely more challenging to detect. Nvidia's new Blackwell chip is going to be a game changer as far as AI and video is concerned from the sounds of it.
I should have put a smilie face or something in my post, as you're right, it's hard to tell what is fake these days. Maybe we need to add an AI emoji to indicate what is fake.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yikes

And that one isn't AI...lol

To be fair, he's not wrong. That's part of the problem. Who do "gods" need to be accountable to?
He's become like a trained monkey. He does his little dance, the crowd screams, and he keeps on doing it everywhere he goes for the attention and adulation.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I should have put a smilie face or something in my post, as you're right, it's hard to tell what is fake these days. Maybe we need to add an AI emoji to indicate what is fake.
It's on me! The content should have made this pretty obvious. Being a little distracted as well made it less likely that I would tune into the fake. But as I said I have a significant pre-existing bias against the player. That is where the danger lies. We are all predisposed to believe things that fit our opinion even if they are as extreme as this one.

I have spent quite a bit of time over the last 18 months at conferences and in seminars discussing the use of AI in education and in general. The latest was a conference in NYC on Learning and the Brain The changes in the effectiveness of the tools over the last year has been quite remarkable. But what we have today is primitive in terms of what we are likely to have in two years. One of the keynote speakers at the NYC conference stated that in his opinion we will soon be at a place where it will be virtually impossible to detect AI generated written content and not that far from having the same issue with AI generated video.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Hiller was only interim and deserves to be fired. He was a McLellan clone at best.

Lets even consider his culpabilities:

Running with Talbot instead of Rittich. Latter was better by miles.

Running with diamond pk throughout series and even a punter like me recognized theres no way it work before series started.

Using same tired first unit PP throughout whole series when it was obvious Fiala wasn't going, and the PP wasn't going.

Line deployments that just weren't working.

Not calling up Brandt Clarke who would look like a stretch pass or skate puck out allstar compared to what the Kings had. the guy is good. Could help transform a breakout in LA. Did when he was up this season.

Didn't get the sense either that the team was even playing for Hiller. When your star D is talking about getting wrecked by the Oilers before the series even starts thats gonna reflect as well. The Kings I suspect had limited faith in the systems and the games went accordingly. The coaching reset got them in the playoffs but not more than that. Through two coaches the 1-3-1 doesn't work ideally for the Kings who would be better served by a pressure to pucks system.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel like the Kings are between a rock and a hard place.

1-3-1 can't beat the Oilers, so would have to change it obviously. However, they have shit goaltending and an overall mediocre blue line (IMO) weakening the stop gap that would support a more open neutral zone system. So if they go away from the 1-3-1, do they even get to the point of getting into the playoffs to inevitably lose to the Oilers?

The answer isn't the system, it's their shitty personnel on defense and in net. 1-3-1 is a red herring.
Not completely because the Kings are always better when they are playing more aggressive forecheck schemes. McLellan even had them playing that way intiially and ironically as they added D to the roster, and improved goaltending somewhat he got the bright idea that team could be a shutdown team. Without realizing its unsustainable given their goaltending and it stymies their own offense as well as the skating of their club. 1-3-1 is what teams should want the Kings to be playing. It completely takes the pace out of the KIngs play, which would otherwise be fast to pucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad