Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Maurice said that's exactly what he's trying to do. He sees Laine as a Finnish Adam Lowry. He wants him playing "power forward" and using his "big body" to grind it out down low.
Just what I'd want my elite once or twice in a generation shooter, taking advice from a hack coach. Remember when Oates tried to f*** with Ovechkin? What happened to Oates?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Found the video. Starts at 0:25.

Except I don't know how to embed it :(

That line was dangerous off the rush though.... I wish we would see 29 used more in that fashion.

Did you... watch all the highlights until you found the right game? :D

Reactions: KB1971

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Laine has told to Finnish tabloid that his home is in Winnipeg and he wants to sign with Jets. Alarming news is that he apparently said that it might be a long summer and lets see when NHL games start again. So there might be some issues with the contract.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Laine has told to Finnish tabloid that his home is in Winnipeg and he wants to sign with Jets. Alarming news is that he apparently said that it might be a long summer and lets see when NHL games start again. So there might be some issues with the contract.
So apparently bridging Laine is out of queation. I hoped that he would trust himself more.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Source in Finnish: Patrik Laine kertoo Iltalehdelle - haluaa jatkaa uraansa Winnipegissä: ”Siellä on koti”

He also said that he has already been golfing and eating wings. Said that there's no rush to start training right now, but
"You have to take care of your fitness and weight, you can't just be and eat wings, but for a moment I will be getting used to being home."

Also:
"I have my agents and wise negotiators doing their jobs. They keep me updated, ask for opinions and then obviously the final approval."

And:
"The summer vacation may get extended, we'll see when the call comes. I'd like to keep playing in Winnipeg. That's my home and I've enjoyed being there."

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Pretty alarming for sure if it's quoted correctly, which I would assume. He's basically indicating quite directly that he's ready to sit out for the contract negotiations. Pretty early to start threatening with stuff like that. Ad to that his bit defensive end of the year interview where he insisted that he was a better player this season and it will be a very complicated summer. Definitely not winning any fans in Winnipeg while he's already on thin ice with a lot of them

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Source in Finnish: Patrik Laine kertoo Iltalehdelle - haluaa jatkaa uraansa Winnipegissä: ”Siellä on koti”

He also said that he has already been golfing and eating wings. Said that there's no rush to start training right now, but
"You have to take care of your fitness and weight, you can't just be and eat wings, but for a moment I will be getting used to being home."

Also:
"I have my agents and wise negotiators doing their jobs. They keep me updated, ask for opinions and then obviously the final approval."

And:
"The summer vacation may get extended, we'll see when the call comes. I'd like to keep playing in Winnipeg. That's my home and I've enjoyed being there."
Sometimes less is more, Laine.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
And:
Not sure why he felt the need to publicly say that but okay.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think holding out might become the new norm as it is their only leverage. We are starting to see it quite regularly these days. Trouba and JoMo have both used the tactic, no real surprise to see that Laine is prepared to do it if necessary. It is up to Chevy and his agent to work towards getting it done prior to it getting to that point.

Reactions: kanadalainen

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Bridging Laine would be a bad idea. Sign him long term now.

All depends on the amount. If the only long term amount Laine would be willing to accept is >$10MM per, than that could be a much worse idea than bridging him. Long term at $7MM-9MM fine.

Either way it's a lot of money for someone who's admitted to having back issues for the last 2 years, and has been playing well below the level a $10MM player should be playing at. But, that's Chevy's job...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Could that be taken to mean that the Jets were out early so it's going to be a long time before he gets to play hockey again?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Pretty alarming for sure if it's quoted correctly, which I would assume. He's basically indicating quite directly that he's ready to sit out for the contract negotiations. Pretty early to start threatening with stuff like that. Ad to that his bit defensive end of the year interview where he insisted that he was a better player this season and it will be a very complicated summer. Definitely not winning any fans in Winnipeg while he's already on thin ice with a lot of them

We should all remember that this is translated from another language, and Laine doesn't say the same hockey cliches as all other players do.

I wouldn't read anything into that.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think holding out might become the new norm as it is their only leverage. We are starting to see it quite regularly these days. Trouba and JoMo have both used the tactic, no real surprise to see that Laine is prepared to do it if necessary. It is up to Chevy and his agent to work towards getting it done prior to it getting to that point.

He has had similar treatment to Trouba in the first few years. Not exactly, but similar. He proved he can be an elite difference maker in the league and never was rewarded for it by the coach.

What would anyone do in that case?

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
All depends on the amount. If the only long term amount Laine would be willing to accept is >$10MM per, than that could be a much worse idea than bridging him. Long term at $7MM-9MM fine.

Either way it's a lot of money for someone who's admitted to having back issues for the last 2 years, and has been playing well below the level a $10MM player should be playing at. But, that's Chevy's job...
I agree about 10M but with 110 goals his contract will not start with 7.(if long term).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino