Player Discussion: Patrik Laine (mod warning in post #150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hope they make his shot better. The one game I played with him in NHL 18 was disappointing.

Although I readily admit that the problem may have been who was holding the controller.

Reactions: ps241

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Hope they make his shot better. The one game I played with him in NHL 18 was disappointing.

Although I readily admit that the problem may have been who was holding the controller.

They did. It's 93-94 now. 88 Overall, Wheeler and Chef are 89.

I'm currently 19-0-0 in the online vs. I play Laine 60 minutes in a game and I hold the puck with him around 40 mins a game. Just circling around trying to find shooting slots.

So much for the reality :D

paragon

May 5, 2010
I watch some quality defensive forwards in Boston, like Bergeron& Marchand, the best in the business in their positions and Laine isn't at that level or anywhere close to it.
Wheeler plays a different role than Laine and for a reason. Just standing still and trying to flip pucks to neutral zone isn't high end defensive play.

Laine line isn't the line you put on the ice when you want to shutdown opponents best, and this shouldn't have to be even argued.
I agree. Laine is my favorite player, but it almost painful to watch him try and often fail to flip the pucks to neutral zone. When the best defensive players have the puck in the defensive zone they carry the puck with poise and even stickhandle with confidence. And while Laine makes attempts to stickhandle in the offensive zone he never tries to carry the puck in the defensive zone. It's almost like he's handling a grenade and is in a hurry to just flip it away. I think there has to be conscious effort on his part to not stickhandle in the defensive zone, but it just looks sad.

There's a long thread on Laine's off-season training, but I don't think his issue is with his fitness. If he wants to reach the next level he just needs to float less and skate more, because I think he's caught flat-footed too often.

He has good stats and he's still young and is going to improve, but to me he just doesn't pass the eye test in the defensive zone.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Eye test is completely useless when it gives information that stats do not show. It's subjective, so it depends on the brain connected to the eyes.

It's only a complimentary tool for proper analysis.

If a car looks slow on the track but is beating records, it's your eyes failing, not the stop watch.

Laine keeps it simple in D zone and doesn't wander off position. It's the smart thing to do when you are still learning and growing.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Eh, better than Subban.

PK is the perfect heel. The joy I got when we sent him packing last year in the playoffs will be something I always remember.

I have allot of respect for what PK does off the ice with his charity work and how he connects to his fans but on the ice its the polar opposite. Agitating, euro soccer diving, drama major, who probably only pisses off his teammates off more than me. Dude has that I’m the centre of the universe vibe that one either loves or hates.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
In the now closed training thread, the last thing posted was "Laine might be a national hero in Finland, but here he’s just one guy on a team".

I hope the Jets do not share such an egalitarian POV. Treat your superstars in the making in that manner, they will soon be "just one guy" on another team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In the now closed training thread, the last thing posted was "Laine might be a national hero in Finland, but here he’s just one guy on a team".

I hope the Jets do not share such an egalitarian POV. Treat your superstars in the making in that manner, they will soon be "just one guy" on another team.
What NHL superstar believes he is above the rest of the team? Laine has never come off as this type of person, so why would the organization put him on a pedestal above their other star players?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What NHL superstar believes he is above the rest of the team? Laine has never come off as this type of person, so why would the organization put him on a pedestal above their other star players?

Couldn't agree more - in fact, this should go without saying

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

If any player thought or wanted to be treated like he was above the team......I couldn't trade him fast enough. The greatest players in history always placed the team above themselves that's partly why them are so great & admired by so many. Laine has never acted like he's above the team thankfully.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
They did. It's 93-94 now. 88 Overall, Wheeler and Chef are 89.

I'm currently 19-0-0 in the online vs. I play Laine 60 minutes in a game and I hold the puck with him around 40 mins a game. Just circling around trying to find shooting slots.

So much for the reality :D

So his summer training is finally paying off!!11

Expect to see following lineup:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Perreault
Laine-Roslovic-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

I hear you thinking about what's up with the 4th line, but you know, he needs to drink Pepsi once in a while á la Radulov...

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

It’s typical EA. He’s cast as a 2-way forward with his shot as his worst stat. The ratings are randomized.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Almost OT, but:

Laine will play game in President Niinistö´s team Finland against President Putins team Russia in Sochi, Russia at 22 august. :D

The game is part of Bilateral meeting of Niinistö and Putin and game name is "Friends Finland and Russia"

I wonder if there will be alot of Memes if Laine takes puck from Putin or something..

Edit: Not 100% sure if Niinistö and Putin will actually play in the game, or only watch, but Laine will for sho. Selanne and Kurri also playing at least and russian NHL stars ect.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Almost OT, but:

Laine will play game in President Niinistö´s team Finland against President Putins team Russia in Sochi, Russia at 22 august. :D

The game is part of Bilateral meeting of Niinistö and Putin and game name is "Friends Finland and Russia"

I wonder if there will be alot of Memes if Laine takes puck from Putin or something..

Edit: Not 100% sure if Niinistö and Putin will actually play in the game, or only watch, but Laine will for sho. Selanne and Kurri also playing at least and russian NHL stars ect.

Laine's agent says this is false, he is training and will not travel to Sochi.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This is pretty interesting.

NHL Player Ratings, NHL Player Rankings

Seems like a bit more credible advanced stats that are more related with real results. I can’t say that it makes me really believe more in any kind of advanced stats, than how much I believe in the actual end results like goals, points and 5 on 5 goal difference, but anyway this matches pretty well with how efficient Laine has really been as a player.

Sorry, if this has been already posted here lately. I probably missed it then or just don’t remember it.

Laine at number 16. with his rating from the whole league, and only barely behind Scheifele. Ahead of players like Panarin, Wheeler, Matthews, Kopitar, Seguin and Barkov. He is also in fact the 3rd best ranked of all the right wingers.

I’m not exactly though claiming that Patty is necessarily better yet as a player than any of them, but at least he is in pretty much the same class with them with how much he has a positive effect on his team’s play. What is really impressive though, is that he is so darn effective already as an only 20 year old physically raw sophomore player with pretty non-optimal usage. What will he really be when he develops every season for a few years from now on?

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Seems like a bit more credible advanced stats that are more related with real results. I can’t say that it makes me really believe more in any kind of advanced stats, than how much I believe in the actual end results like goals, points and 5 on 5 goal difference, but anyway this matches pretty well with how efficient Laine has really been as a player.

Sorry, if this has been lately already posted here. I probably missed it then or just don’t remember it..

Laine at number 16. from the whole league, and only barely behind Scheifele. Ahead of players like Panarin, Wheeler, Matthews, Kopitar, Seguin and Barkov.

I’m not exactly though claiming that Patty is really better yet as a player than any of them, but at least he is in pretty much the same class with them with how much he has a positive effect on his team’s play. What is really impressive though, is that he is so darn effective already as an only 20 year old physically raw sophomore player with pretty non-optimal usage. What will he really be when he develops every season for a few years from now on?

Yes, exciting times ahead for Winnipeg fans!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Sorry, if this has been already posted here lately. I probably missed it then or just don’t remember it.

Laine at number 16. from the whole league, and only barely behind Scheifele. Ahead of players like Panarin, Wheeler, Matthews, Kopitar, Seguin and Barkov.

I’m not exactly though claiming that Patty is really better yet as a player than any of them, but at least he is in pretty much the same class with them with how much he has a positive effect on his team’s play. What is really impressive though, is that he is so darn effective already as an only 20 year old physically raw sophomore player with pretty non-optimal usage. What will he really be when he develops every season for a few years from now on?

I see Petan has almost the same rating as the much maligned Hendricks. Hmmmm....

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Laine at number 16. with his rating from the whole league, and only barely behind Scheifele. Ahead of players like Panarin, Wheeler, Matthews, Kopitar, Seguin and Barkov. He is also in fact the 3rd best ranked of all the right wingers.

I’m not exactly though claiming that Patty is necessarily better yet as a player than any of them, but at least he is in pretty much the same class with them with how much he has a positive effect on his team’s play. What is really impressive though, is that he is so darn effective already as an only 20 year old physically raw sophomore player with pretty non-optimal usage. What will he really be when he develops every season for a few years from now on?

I think those are the same rankings I posted earlier that have Little as #90 best center.

Ie Team Line Combinations

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So what does that tell you?

Hard to say. Maybe Hendricks is better than people think. Maybe Petan is worse than people think. Or maybe, if Corsica can't really differentiate between them, it might not be a very good system? :dunno:

Stats just confuse me. I'm kind of with the guy that thought that one graphic looked like a hard drive in need of defragging. :laugh:

Reactions: Howard Chuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad