Player Discussion: Patrik Laine (mod warning in post #150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If we are talking 8 years 7.5M is awfully low.

There hasn't been Laine level winger signed in ages from ELC.
Doesn't sound low to me. It's more than the other wingers with PPG seasons on PPG potential seem to get straight from ELC. I think he'll get something like 7.5-8 mil aav. Dunno about the term, hope it's 8 years.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
And of course if Laine gets 7.5 mil it's only because he was generous enough to leave the 2.5 on the table, yeah?

I base my guess on what other RFA wingers get. And so will the Jets.

He would be extremely generous (which I hope to happen) if he signed under 10 mil per for long term.

You are suggesting he gets E. Kane money while outscoring Kanes peak numbers. As a teen.

There is no rationality in that. Laine has much more to show than Eichel did when he signed for 10.

We all hope he will play for peanuts but lets be realistic about the real value. There hasn't been a 20 year old winger with a better resume. And if he signs up after a healthy next season, you will be looking at much more than 10 million.

It's important to lock him up now, so they can allow his production to explode. That's going to help them in their cup run. Artificially tying his hands is not good for the team. Leaving a lot of wins on the bench on purpose.

You can't use Kucherov etc as comparables. He played in the Q at 19. Can't ignore the age factor.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He would be extremely generous (which I hope to happen) if he signed under 10 mil per for long term.

You are suggesting he gets E. Kane money while outscoring Kanes peak numbers. As a teen.

There is no rationality in that. Laine has much more to show than Eichel did when he signed for 10.

We all hope he will play for peanuts but lets be realistic about the real value. There hasn't been a 20 year old winger with a better resume. And if he signs up after a healthy next season, you will be looking at much more than 10 million.

It's important to lock him up now, so they can allow his production to explode. That's going to help them in their cup run. Artificially tying his hands is not good for the team. Leaving a lot of wins on the bench on purpose.
UFA's get overpaid. Not a very good deal to begin with, so that's a pretty terrible example.

This is all the time I'll spend arguing with you two, good night friends.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's a pretty good example. Another one is Kucherov, although it's not straight from ELC. Taylor Hall is making 6 mil aav. Gaudreau 6,75 mil.

Pasta is a terrible comparison, and I'm a huge Pasta fan.

2017 vs 2019,
6 years vs 8 years.

Pasta
+1 season, 27 points in 46 NHL games,
Laine,
+1 season, 36 goals, 64 points in 73 games.

Pasta
+2 season, 26 points in 51 NHL games,
Laine
+2 season 44 goals, 70 points.

Their CV's aren't even close. Pastas contract was based on 1 elite u23 season+ potential, Laines could be build on 3+ potential, and Laines ceiling is clearly higher than Pastas. Then add the 2 years term difference(hopefully), then add the signing year difference.

Hall signed his contract in 2012, Gaudreau 2016. There's a massive difference in cap and what they had done in their +1 and +2 seasons.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Pasta is a terrible comparison, and I'm a huge Pasta fan.

2017 vs 2019,
6 years vs 8 years.

Pasta
+1 season, 27 points in 46 NHL games,
Laine,
+1 season, 36 goals, 64 points in 73 games.

Pasta
+2 season, 26 points in 51 NHL games,
Laine
+2 season 44 goals, 70 points.

Their CV's aren't even close. Pastas contract was based on 1 elite u23 season+ potential, Laines could be build on 3+ potential, and Laines ceiling is clearly higher than Pastas. Then add the 2 years term difference(hopefully), then add the signing year difference.

Hall signed his contract in 2012, Gaudreau 2016. There's a massive difference in cap and what they had done in their +1 and +2 seasons.
No, it's not a massive difference, it's a difference that makes 7.5-8 mil sound pretty sensible.

I'll gladly admit i was wrong if Laine gets his 10 mil.

Now i'm actually done.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No, it's not a massive difference, it's a difference that makes 7.5-8 mil sound pretty sensible.

I'll gladly admit i was wrong if Laine gets his 10 mil.

Now i'm actually done.

None of them competed for Rocket at 19y and Laine will sign years later than both of the 2.

7.5 is awfully low for Laine, especially with Drai getting his 8.5M contract.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
None of them competed for Rocket at 19y and Laine will sign years later than both of the 2.

7.5 is awfully low for Laine, especially with Drai getting his 8.5M contract.

Or Eichel 10. But I think he’s overpaid.

Laine is not in it for the money, he will sign for far less than 10. He’ll give a Scheif deal.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He can ask anything, but he's not getting 10 as an RFA.

He definitely would be able to get that, if he pushed it to the limits. I just think 10 million is ridiculous number given the cap space and that Oilers made a mistake (or two if you include Draisaitl), and Toronto is expected to do mistake with Matthews salary.

I hope he settles with 8.5 million so that the Jets would stay top cup contenders.

If salary cap goes north a lot, then pay him everything he wants.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Laine is not in it for the money, he will sign for far less than 10. He’ll give a Scheif deal.

There is absolutely no way he gets Scheifele deal. Or then Chevy is a genious and the all time greatest GM.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He is smart, and would probably settle for less because he wouldn't want to cripple the teams finances.

But agents always try to get the most, so they can make the most themselves. Also, it would set a precedent if Laine gave a major discount. Other organizations could then lowball their young stars using Laine as a yard stick.

That's why it's hard to see a sweetheart deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I'd be happy as hell at 8.5M with him, Laine has the CV to ask a lot of money, especially if he has another Rocket contending season. Drai/Eichel/McDavid set the new bar for high end kids from ELC.

To get Laine at the same money as Drai is a win to me.

Reactions: Halberdier

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He's a pretty good example. Another one is Kucherov, although it's not straight from ELC. Taylor Hall is making 6 mil aav. Gaudreau 6,75 mil.
You should be accounting for what the cap was when these guys signed and looking at their percentages.
Kucherov = 11.75%
Hall = 10%
Gaudreau = 9.25%
Pastrnak = 8.89%

If Laine signs this summer, the range is $7M - $9.5M AAV. If he signs next summer, the equivalent range will probably be $7.4M - $10M.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Feels like the majority of the main board underrates Laine now, feels like they're meme-ing on him -- "dur he can't skate/play defense/etc." Like there's a thread about the top 5 wingers and somehow the consensus is that he's not one of them?? Dude's a bet to put up 45-50 per year, every year for the immediate future, and it's just ignored.

Maybe people just get seduced by point totals and don't put the proper weight on goal scoring. Matthews at 19/20 has led the league in ES goals since he came in, people lose their minds if you put him in the top 20 players. Young guys getting so much disrespect.

Could be due to where he is playing and the Jets have only had one deep playoff run. For much of the NHL Winnipeg is still a bit of an unknown. Another deep run or two plus a couple more 40 plus maybe 50 goal seasons and he will win over a few more East coast posters. How long did it take Ovi to get the same type of love that Sid got?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I'd be happy as hell at 8.5M with him, Laine has the CV to ask a lot of money, especially if he has another Rocket contending season. Drai/Eichel/McDavid set the new bar for high end kids from ELC.

To get Laine at the same money as Drai is a win to me.

8.5M would be a frigging bargain, and I think it’ll end up in that range.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Scheifele deal=team friendly deal. Ie far less than 10M.

OK, in that sense I agree. I thought you did mean literally Scheifele deal with something like 6 million AAV.

If Laine signs with 8.5M that is a nice discount and really a team friendly deal.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
I was watching Laine stuff on Youtube and stumbled on some of his gaming/training buddy sream of they playing Fortnite. There were questions for Laine and he answered live (in Finnish). Some stuff I picked up:
Q what is the flex of Your stick?
A 120
Q How it felt like to be on draft and listen WPG to draft You?
A very good. Almost erotic!
Q why aren’t You training right now?
A I already trained today
Q opinion on Chara?
A very big guy!
Q how much would it cost that You would accept a friend request (on Fortnite)?
A I don’t need money (they were kind of joking about the massive amount of friend requests)
Q opinion on Sebastian Aho?
A very good
Q worst goalie in NHL?
A there are no bad goalies in NHL
Q best goalie in NHL?
A seemed to br MAF.

They were joking a lot while playing. Pate seemed to be pretty good gamer (no surprise there)

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Laine sure does not seem like the guy valuing his performance and level by dollars. Here is my best guess. I believe Cheveldayoff will crap his pants out of relief once he starts haggling and Laine says ok and signs way sooner than Chevy expected. The Jets fans will go crazy of the bargain they get and the mainboards will use that cheap deal to downplay Laine and say ” see, I told you he is not that good and worth the big dollars”.

Laine wants to win the cup and those Rocket Richards more than anything or anybody and he knows in order to do that he simply cannot be the one blocking that with a massive caphit.
He won’t sign for free, but I am sure that it will be way below what people here have been afraid of.
If this scenario plays out I sure hope the other Jets will follow suit and the Jets can afford to get those missing pieces, such as an elite center to go with Scheiffele.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine sure does not seem like the guy valuing his performance and level by dollars. Here is my best guess. I believe Cheveldayoff will crap his pants out of relief once he starts haggling and Laine says ok and signs way sooner than Chevy expected. The Jets fans will go crazy of the bargain they get and the mainboards will use that cheap deal to downplay Laine and say ” see, I told you he is not that good and worth the big dollars”.

Laine wants to win the cup and those Rocket Richards more than anything or anybody and he knows in order to do that he simply cannot be the one blocking that with a massive caphit.
He won’t sign for free, but I am sure that it will be way below what people here have been afraid of.
If this scenario plays out I sure hope the other Jets will follow suit and the Jets can afford to get those missing pieces, such as an elite center to go with Scheiffele.

I want this scenario to happen. I don't have faith in it, but I want it.

Let's hope you are right!

Insthofen

Dec 2, 2016
Cant wait for the season to start. Laine will again score 40+ goals, most of them beautiful rockets. Whenever I'm down, I check some Laine goals from YouTube and all is good in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad