Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We'll find out that Swedish tennis sensation Bjorn Borg was the first of that race.

Or....

multipraktik.jpg

(NOTE: that is a real thing. BORG APPLIANCES Mixer Grinders Juicer Mixer Grinders)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
We'll find out that Swedish tennis sensation Bjorn Borg was the first of that race.

I'm sure many of you have heard this theory but there's one school of thought that Decker/Ilia merging with V'Ger in TMP is the origin of the Borg.

I personally think it's more like a David Bowman in 2001 moment but to each their own.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Picard ultimately arrived in a better place at the end of TNG than when he started.

That was the significance of the poker game at the end of the series.

He came to terms with his ambition and his family, and realized that he wasn’t compromising his authority and position by becoming friends with his crew.

It would be a bit weird if he were jaded and bitter.

Nothing that happened in the films would lead him there either.

When we first meet Picard in Encounter At Farpoint, he's a grumpy old man who doesn't like children and has occasional temper outbursts throughout Season 1 (Shut Up Wesley anyone?) Some of it was due to the writing and general chaos (the documentary I spoke about in the earlier post sums it up), some because the way Stewart was initially playing it and being a serious classically trained actor who was a little uptight for Hollywood, and some was just not having a feel for the character which changed once Piller/Berman/Behr made it a more character driven show.

At the same time, in All Good Things... Picard has answered Q's question about humanity that we can evolve and are greater than the sum of our parts and not inherently evil and selfish so the species "trial" was over and Picard had changed and warmed up, an even seemed younger and more spirited than his season 1 version.

The movies were not like that at all. Too much action Picard and Data's chip made him into a gimmick. Also the crew was either closer to Jack Bauer (going rogue to go rogue and then going rogue again against evil Starfleet) or greatly minimized (other than Picard/Data/Worf the other four were largely ineffective or had too little to do in the films besides Troi's drunk scene and Riker with the joystick....ouch).

So what does this all mean? Making him bitter or rehashing with the Borg again would be a waste. He's also close to 80 and while Stewart is fit, we don't need to see him be a Rambo/Ripley hybrid every episode.

The best approach would be about balancing his post Starfleet life and balancing the relationships he currently has as either an Ambassador/Archeologist with his past relationships.

TNG had some really good action moments, but it worked best in episodes like the trial scene in The Measure Of A Man, Chain Of Command, Picard/Sarek, Picard/Q, etc.

Also if they are going to have some TNG cameos....De Lancie must come back as Q. He can explain aging and slight weight gain with a one liner like "that's how I choose to appear Picard." And I really do hope they do a sequel to the season one episode Conspiracy. Yes it's sort of an Aliens knock off but would have made a much movie than 3.5 of the 4 TNG films.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Picard ultimately arrived in a better place at the end of TNG than when he started.

That was the significance of the poker game at the end of the series.

He came to terms with his ambition and his family, and realized that he wasn’t compromising his authority and position by becoming friends with his crew.

It would be a bit weird if he were jaded and bitter.

Nothing that happened in the films would lead him there either.

They pulled that card with Luke and look at how well that worked out?

If they want to kill the star trek series and future star trek series , it's best to respect the character of picard and respect everything that has happened in the past. Keep Rian Johnsson as far away from star trek as you can.

I think the show is going to be lighter than discovery and more optimistic. But at the same time you need a new arc for picard...some sort of hurdle for his character to get over.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
We end up finding out he had an illegitimate son with Vash, who grew bitter at the absence of a father figure in his life and became leader of the resurgent Orion Pirate Syndicate. Basically, Kurtzman will rehash Nemesis.

Why does it have to be set in space? He's going to be 80 going on 90 living with his wife errrr Vash, sure that's it. He has a bitter teenage son who does everything ironically even though he doesn't know what the word means. He's grown his hair long and driven a spike through his nose, and he started up a Ska band named "My dad sucks" and he plays to crowds of two or three of his friends.

Jean Luc at his wits end forces his loser son into the academy and the kid comes home even more resentful.

So one day Picard goes to the holodeck and loads up his favorite program which is that Dix private detective one, but because he's old and senile he forgets how to get out or there's a malfunction and he's trapped.

All of his friends keep popping up in his new life (Wait until the Wesley cameo, it'll be awesome) mainly because they're outside trying to rescue him. In one ironic episode Dix is in the future as a Space Ship Captain.

Anyway the last episode has his son revealed as the main series antagonist, he tells his father he hates him and that this has to end and the screen goes blank. Did he pull the plug and rescue Picard or kill him?

Oh and the Borg make an appearance returning to Nicki the Nose's bar where they get hired as dancing girls and waiters and become the comedy characters as they try to assimilate to their new lives.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm sure many of you have heard this theory but there's one school of thought that Decker/Ilia merging with V'Ger in TMP is the origin of the Borg.

I personally think it's more like a David Bowman in 2001 moment but to each their own.

One of the Star Trek books I read, I believe Shatner collaborated on it told this story. It had both Picard and Kirk in it and was really good. I have to look for the title.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Trademark "reveals" Star Trek series name, T-ARA denied, and PewDiePie responds to “fake” sponsorship: news round-up - Blog - World Trademark Review

New Star Trek series name “revealed” in trademark application – According to the popular Trademark Ninja blog, the name of Patrick Stewart’s new Star Trek series may have been revealed in a recent trademark application. TV network CBS filed a STAR TREK RELIANT trademark application on the same day that Patrick Stewart announced he was reprising his role as Jean-Luc Picard.

Star Trek Reliant would be an awfully strange name for the Picard series considering Reliant's association with The Wrath of Khan.

The alleged Nicholas Meyer Khan mini-series is a prequel that takes place before the Reliant, so I don't see how it makes sense for that either.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Trademark "reveals" Star Trek series name, T-ARA denied, and PewDiePie responds to “fake” sponsorship: news round-up - Blog - World Trademark Review

Star Trek Reliant would be an awfully strange name for the Picard series considering Reliant's association with The Wrath of Khan.

The alleged Nicholas Meyer Khan mini-series is a prequel that takes place before the Reliant, so I don't see how it makes sense for that either.
Who cares if it doesn't make sense? It's the reference the marketing department's algorithm says will sell. :sarcasm:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

What if it's completely different Reliant?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Capt Picard is thrown back in time and now must survive by pretending to be a weary, old ally of Kahn while surviving on Ceti Alpha V, ultimately leading up to a season/series finale where he participates in the events of Star Trek II and, at the last minute, beams over to the Enterprise to take Spock's place in sacrificing himself to save the ship (and before he does he's able to mind-meld with Spock and share all the feelings he got from Sarek when Sarek mind-melded with him to stop his Crazy Vulcan Disease from stopping the negotiations or whatever he was doing at the time), all while dying of whatever space disease he had during the future flash-forward from the TNG finale.

Also that Q girl played by Olivia d'Abo in the one episode from the middle seasons is there too, acting as a sort of mentor/spirit guide to Picard. Only it turns out to be the John deLancie Q all along.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's not going to be a completely different person.

With the events from the recent Star Trek movies with Chris Pine, who knows the ripple effect that it had on the TNG series timeline.

But, I would think Picard has to be the same guy in his core. Otherwise, what's the purpose of bringing him back.

As for the rest of the crew?
Riker - last we saw of him, he was Captain of the USS Titan and Troi was his wife.
Rest of the Crew like LaForge and Dr. Crusher would be nearing the end of their active service in space if they are Captains or whatever and/or Admirals themselves or have left Star Fleet.
Worf - Expect him to be active, within the Klingon Empire unless he has a following out with them.
B4? Not sure.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Reliant was one of those ships like Excalibur or Defiant where every era seems to have one. I think Picard served on board one as an Ensign or Lt. in one of those Memory Alpha articles I read.

I read some the Khan book series. It was a prequel to Star Trek V where basically when Scotty has to repair the suddenly damaged ship (that was such a dumb angle in ST V lol) Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Sulu go to Ceti Alpha V to see what happened there. They find Khan's journals and the entire book is them reading it from the time they get there to right before Reliant finds them.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Reliant was one of those ships like Excalibur or Defiant where every era seems to have one. I think Picard served on board one as an Ensign or Lt. in one of those Memory Alpha articles I read.

It's a Navy tradition to name new ships after old ones and Roddenberry brought that to Star Trek, so it's perfectly natural for there to be another Reliant. What I think makes most of us frown, though, is that Kurtzman would choose that name, since it's one of the more famous ship names in the franchise and he's all about using recognizable names to squeeze every last drop of nostalgia out of fans. He could've picked a new name or even an old name with a history, like the Saratoga, but the Reliant was in the most beloved Star Trek film and Kurtzman just couldn't resist, it seems.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
With the events from the recent Star Trek movies with Chris Pine, who knows the ripple effect that it had on the TNG series timeline.

But, I would think Picard has to be the same guy in his core. Otherwise, what's the purpose of bringing him back.

As for the rest of the crew?
Riker - last we saw of him, he was Captain of the USS Titan and Troi was his wife.
Rest of the Crew like LaForge and Dr. Crusher would be nearing the end of their active service in space if they are Captains or whatever and/or Admirals themselves or have left Star Fleet.
Worf - Expect him to be active, within the Klingon Empire unless he has a following out with them.
B4? Not sure.

Looking into the legality of the situation, cbs owns prime timeline and this show isnt cbs so this isnt going to be prime timeline picard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad