Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Refresh my memory what happened to her behind the scenes after season 1. Did she quit fired or go on maternity leave. I remember Polaski came in in season 2 and everyone hated her guts and then celebrated when Crusher came back in season 3.
According to Picard, she was too outspoken and the producers sacked her. The cast was angry. Apparently, Pulaski had been on the original Trek as well playing a nurse. I don't think McFadden ever took maternity leave. They just covered her up with a smock and she blew her box out in the off season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't want a "much different" Picard or a "very different" Spock. Subtle differences are OK, because they're at different stages of their careers than we're used to and new facets are expected, but the way that it seems like Kurtzman wants to change them to make them his own worries me and makes me wonder if he understands or even cares what fans want. He certainly didn't when it came to Discovery.

It sounds like Stewart was convinced to return because he expects another hopeful, positive vision of the future, which makes me wonder if he's watched Discovery, since it's the antithesis of TNG. Instead of mostly working in harmony to promote peace through the universe, the crew fights amongst themselves and finds ways to make things worse (like Burnham nearly single-handedly starting a war). I don't have faith that Kurtzman has any intention of producing the inspirational show that Stewarts seems to think that he's signing on for.
I think it's pretty clear the people running this franchise don't know or don't care about the characters. All they want to do is jam in names and references that market tests show will sell but don't care about being faithful to the source material.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I thought we did. He met her originally in Earth's past in one of the season finales. Can't remember which year or are you talking about something else. I liked her role as well.

Time's Arrow from season 5 episode 26 and Time's Arrow Part II from season 6 episode 1 is when they find Data's head and discover aliens effecting Earths past.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I don't want a "much different" Picard or a "very different" Spock. Subtle differences are OK, because they're at different stages of their careers than we're used to and new facets are expected, but the way that it seems like Kurtzman wants to change them to make them his own worries me and makes me wonder if he understands or even cares what fans want. He certainly didn't when it came to Discovery.

It sounds like Stewart was convinced to return because he expects another hopeful, positive vision of the future, which makes me wonder if he's watched Discovery, since it's the antithesis of TNG. Instead of mostly working in harmony to promote peace through the universe, the crew fights amongst themselves and finds ways to make things worse (like Burnham single-handedly starting a war). I don't have faith that Kurtzman has any intention of producing the hopeful, inspirational show that Stewart seems to think that he's signing on for.

The last thing stewart wants to do is rehash the same shit he did with the character for 7 seasons.

Bringing stewart back to the role means you need to take picard in a different place/direction.

Reactions: Mimsy

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
For those who want to know the entire early TNG story watch Chaos On The Bridge hosted by Shatner about the first two years of the show. Yaphet Kotto was considered for Picard as well as a longshot. But yeah, McFadden had a NY Broadway background and her outspokenness rubbed producers the wrong way.

Now onto this show: I'm really curious if it will even be a Starfleet show. Picard the character is supposed to be in his 70s by the time the Enterprise-E launches. So figure he got at least a decade out of that ship. Maybe it's going to be more archaeological based and he discovers something that triggers some intergalactic incident. Who knows. If Spiner doesn't want to do it, would they even consider bringing in Va'kel Shon from ST: Online and making the Enterprise-F cannon (doubt it)?

I think where Paramount really dropped the ball was with a Star Trek: Titan animated DVD movie. When actors get older, using only voices makes it a moot point. Batman 66 did it with West/Ward/etc. and even the Ghostbusters video game was essentially a 3rd movie (took place Thanksgiving 1991) and got all of those actors including Annie Potts and William Atherton back to reprise their roles. It would have also avoided any scheduling conflicts for Frakes/Sirtis/Russ and even Yasutake (if she wanted to do it) and Mulgrew who at times was their "boss" giving Riker the mission briefings in the series. They would have made their money back and more.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The last thing stewart wants to do is rehash the same **** he did with the character for 7 seasons.

Bringing stewart back to the role means you need to take picard in a different place/direction.

I didn't suggest re-hashing what he did for 7 seasons. I acknowledged that there would need to be subtle differences because he's older and in a later stage of his career. Doing something different than Picard being Captain of the Enterprise doesn't mean radically changing the character, though. Doing so would not be bringing him "back to the role" because the role would've been changed too much. That's what I'm afraid of: that Kurtzman plans to change the role too much to suit his own ideas for the franchise, rather than honor the character. You can make Picard an Admiral or an Ambassador with personal regrets and even demons--i.e. take him in a different direction--and still honor the character by giving him enough of the same character traits that we recognize him and are happy to see that he hasn't changed that much.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I think it should be a comedy where Picard is forced out of retirement when the other senior captains are killed when B-4 presses a wrong button and blows them all into space.

Have Picard take over the Enterprise-XX which has a young millenial style of crew, and Picard spends a half an hour of each episode lecturing these young snot nosed punks on how he did it in his day, and also that he once punched a Klingon in the nose.

And then when the Enterprise-XX goes to transwarp we hear his new line "I pooped myself"

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I didn't suggest re-hashing what he did for 7 seasons. I acknowledged that there would need to be subtle differences because he's older and in a later stage of his career. Doing something different than Picard being Captain of the Enterprise doesn't mean radically changing the character, though. Doing so would not be bringing him "back to the role" because the role would've been changed too much. That's what I'm afraid of: that Kurtzman plans to change the role too much to suit his own ideas for the franchise, rather than honor the character. You can make Picard an Admiral or an Ambassador with personal regrets and even demons--i.e. take him in a different direction--and still honor the character by giving him enough of the same character traits that we recognize him and are happy to see that he hasn't changed that much.
He's not going to be a completely different person.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He's not going to be a completely different person.

I wish that you'd try to understand what I'm saying, instead of arguing back with extremes. Re-hashing what Picard did for 7 seasons and making him a completely different person are not the only alternatives to what you're arguing for them to do. We both expect something in the middle, but seem to disagree on exactly where we want the balance to be and how much we trust Kurtzman to hit it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Picard ultimately arrived in a better place at the end of TNG than when he started.

That was the significance of the poker game at the end of the series.

He came to terms with his ambition and his family, and realized that he wasn’t compromising his authority and position by becoming friends with his crew.

It would be a bit weird if he were jaded and bitter.

Nothing that happened in the films would lead him there either.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wish that you'd try to understand what I'm saying, instead of arguing back with extremes. Re-hashing what Picard did for 7 seasons and making him a completely different person are not the only alternatives to what you're arguing for them to do. We both expect something in the middle, but seem to disagree on exactly where we want the balance to be and how much we trust Kurtzman to hit it.

We end up finding out he had an illegitimate son with Vash, who grew bitter at the absence of a father figure in his life and became leader of the resurgent Orion Pirate Syndicate. Basically, Kurtzman will rehash Nemesis.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Will Romulus still be gone after what happened in the 2009 Star Trek movie? As I recall, that didn't change the history we know from the original Star Trek, TNG, DS9, Voyager, etc. It just sent Spock and Nero back in time to an alternate universe while the original universe's past remain unaffected.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I suspect that we'll get a Picard who is being tormented by memories of what the Borg did to him, waking up in cold sweats and the like, when Starfleet detects their presence once again. He'll initially be reluctant, but eventually agrees to help because he needs closure. Hey, I just described the plot of Aliens. There's almost no way that Kurtzman brings back Picard without also bringing back the Borg, IMO, since it's Picard's personal nemesis and Kurtzman is all about re-using things that were popular in past Trek.

I don't want to see the Borg again, but what really worries me is that we're going to end up with a Picard like the one in First Contact, which was a "much different" Picard than we saw in TNG, and not in a good way. That was less Captain Picard and more Captain Ahab renamed. When I say that I'm afraid that he'll be too different, that's what I mean. I don't mind seeing Picard in a different light, even broken--Chain of Command is one of the best of all of the TNG episodes--but there's a difference between seeing that for one or two episodes before getting back the character that we know and having a whole series of one, long story arc where an unhappy Picard is more or less the new baseline.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I suspect that we'll get a Picard who is being tormented by memories of what the Borg did to him, waking up in cold sweats and the like, when Starfleet detects their presence once again. He'll initially be reluctant, but eventually agrees to help because he needs closure. Hey, I just described the plot of Aliens. There's almost no way that Kurtzman brings back Picard without also bringing back the Borg, IMO, since it's Picard's personal nemesis and Kurtzman is all about re-using things that were popular in past Trek.

I don't want to see the Borg again, but what really worries me is that we're going to end up with a Picard like the one in First Contact, which was a "much different" Picard than we saw in TNG, and not in a good way. That was less Captain Picard and Captain Ahab renamed. When I say that I'm afraid that he'll be too different, that's what I mean. I don't mind seeing Picard in a different light, even broken--Chain of Command is one of the best of all of the TNG episodes--but there's a difference between seeing that for one or two episodes before getting back the character that we know and having a whole series of one, long story arc where an unhappy Picard is more or less the new baseline.

You're giving Kurtzman too much credit. The "son is the leader of the Orion Pirates" thing that I predicted is much more likely and far worse.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I don't want to see the Borg again, but what really worries me is that we're going to end up with a Picard like the one in First Contact, which was a "much different" Picard than we saw in TNG, and not in a good way. That was less Captain Picard and more Captain Ahab renamed. When I say that I'm afraid that he'll be too different, that's what I mean. I don't mind seeing Picard in a different light, even broken--Chain of Command is one of the best of all of the TNG episodes--but there's a difference between seeing that for one or two episodes before getting back the character that we know and having a whole series of one, long story arc where an unhappy Picard is more or less the new baseline.
I can't see how the Borg work as a legitimate villain again after Voyager. Between Seven of Nine, all the technology they scavenged, and the help from future Janeway, Voyager came back with a ton of information on the Borg and how to fight them effectively.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I can't see how the Borg work as a legitimate villain again after Voyager. Between Seven of Nine, all the technology they scavenged, and the help from future Janeway, Voyager came back with a ton of information on the Borg and how to fight them effectively.

And also left the Borg in a complete state of chaos.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And also left the Borg in a complete state of chaos.
Yea, they really devastated the Borg. It wouldn't stop Kurtzman from forcing them back into the franchise though, probably in some really terrible way.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Voyager should be canon'ed out of existence.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yea, they really devastated the Borg. It wouldn't stop Kurtzman from forcing them back into the franchise though, probably in some really terrible way.

Kurtzman: "People love zombie movies and TV now. So we'll bring the borg back, but they'll eat people instead of assimilating them and run fast like that 28 days later movie. I'm sure everyone will love it!"

f63mNRH7SYgwepWye4Fkw6HJHbA=.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kurtzman: "People love zombie movies and TV now. So we'll bring the borg back, but they'll eat people instead of assimilating them and run fast like that 28 days later movie. I'm sure everyone will love it!"
Maybe Borg cubes will also now be able to change their shape into some other type of creature/vehicle like some kind of transformer and have a robot fight with the Enterprise?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad