Patrick Lauder out as official anthem singer, (Update: Now named "Anthem Singer Emeritus")

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Nice. I don't keep up on the symphony schedule as I should. Missed out on a good program tonight. Luckily, I do have a wonderful Deutsche Grammophon collection of Beethoven's First-Ninth conducted by Karajan.
Nice. On a real 33 1/3 I hope. Still no matter how good the system, live is live. My uncle was a violinist with the Chicago Symphony under Fritz Reiner. Grew up with concert music

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Do you go to the games?

I go to anywhere between 2-5 a year usually....and during the anthem I’m usually thinking “why do I have to get up and take my hat off now, I just want to watch hockey.” I respect Amurica and all, just don’t really see what it has to do with a sporting event that isn’t some kind of international tournament. At least half the players on the ice usually aren’t American. It’s very weird.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Jesus Christ man, this is the damn anthem singer..feel bad for him but face of the franchise? TF is happening here?

It just goes to show you how some fans love his singing.

I go to anywhere between 2-5 a year usually....and during the anthem I’m usually thinking “why do I have to get up and take my hat off now, I just want to watch hockey.” I respect Amurica and all, just don’t really see what it has to do with a sporting event that isn’t some kind of international tournament. At least half the players on the ice usually aren’t American. It’s very weird.

An anthem singer is part of the fabric of tradition in the NHL. Since the team hasn’t had the stability or the winning traditions (yet) you all haven’t seen how valuable an anthem singer is to a team. Witnessing an anthem during the playoffs in Canada (Seen it in Vancouver during the playoffs and international competition) or a place like Chicago is an amazing thing to witness.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think that was Shane Doan. Not the anthem singer. Serious question; is he a personal relation to you? Is this a personal thing? It seems like it.

No. It’s the fact that the Coyotes are
Crapping all over franchise tradition left and right.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

An anthem singer is part of the fabric of tradition in the NHL. Since the team hasn’t had the stability or the winning traditions (yet) you all haven’t seen how valuable an anthem singer is to a team. Witnessing an anthem during the playoffs in Canada (Seen it in Vancouver during the playoffs and international competition) or a place like Chicago is an amazing thing to witness.
You have to recognize that you are in the extreme, extreme minority on this right?

I’ve never met or even heard of anyone who places this much value on the anthem singer. No one else is this outraged.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

I went to games in Chicago when the United Center was a dead zone. This was in the 21st century. Hawks games aren't the best example for "fabric of tradition" in this regard.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
The Coyotes could employ the worst possible anthem singer, and I'd still go to my dozen games per season. Having said that, Lauder has been one of the very few exceptionally good things about the entire organization. Nobody sings both anthems better. His replacement will invariably be a parade of insufferable "America's Got Talent" types, but whatever, I'll still go to the games.

rt

May 13, 2004
The Coyotes could employ the worst possible anthem singer, and I'd still go to my dozen games per season. Having said that, Lauder has been one of the very few exceptionally good things about the entire organization. Nobody sings both anthems better. His replacement will invariably be a parade of insufferable "America's Got Talent" types, but whatever, I'll still go to the games.
This is the reasonable anti stance. The statement Lauder himself shared in recapping the team stance is the reasonable pro statement in this argument. Anything more extreme than either of those positions, in either direction, is just a little...weird.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
My thoughts exactly. It's like being forced to go to church. Which is really how these extremists treat the anthem.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No. It’s the fact that the Coyotes are
Crapping all over franchise tradition left and right.

Exactly what traditions are worthwhile about this cursed franchise? What pre-Meruelo tradition makes the Coyotes remarkable, outside of losing games and the entire hockey world wanting our team somewhere else?

Don't be overdramatic. Patrick isn't.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I went to games in Chicago when the United Center was a dead zone. This was in the 21st century. Hawks games aren't the best example for "fabric of tradition" in this regard.

I went to Canucks and Ducks playoff games and the greatest World Cup game I’ve ever seen in Vancouver with this lineup in the middle of the summer:

http://es.pn/2clpMel

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Exactly what traditions are worthwhile about this cursed franchise? What pre-Meruelo tradition makes the Coyotes remarkable, outside of losing games and the entire hockey world wanting our team somewhere else?

Don't be overdramatic. Patrick isn't.

Not being overdramatic. Tradition has been built and now it’s being eradicated.

rt

May 13, 2004
Not being overdramatic. Tradition has been built and now it’s being eradicated.
Why are you being so evasive on answering your claim about the eradication of these traditions. You’ve been asked directly about half a dozen times now to support your claim and your refusal to even acknowledge the question is highly suspect, to say the least.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Please list these traditions so that we may join in the outrage.
Howling and the white out are all I can think of. The white out isn't really ours anyway, and many here have suggested replacing it. I doubt Maruelo wants to ban howling. Yeah, not seeing this eradication of traditions, partly because we have so few.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
O Canada is singable by the average fan. The Banner is not. Patrick has the range. Janie Hiphugger does not. She whispers the low tones and screeches out the high tones, all the while batting her left hand like the wing of a dying moth in an effort not to lose her rhythm.

It’s not even a huge range I don’t think (then again my vocal range is nearly three octaves so I’m biased). Star Spangled Banner has a range of an octave and a half. A lot of anthem singers pick a bad key. I Canada is just one octave though.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It’s not even a huge range I don’t think (then again my vocal range is nearly three octaves so I’m biased). Star Spangled Banner has a range of an octave and a half. A lot of anthem singers pick a bad key. I Canada is just one octave though.
Crap. You have an operatic range at 3 octaves. Can you really sing at the top and bottom of your range? And you know how rare 3 octave ranges are. That’s why common folk can’t sing the Banner. They either sacrifice the top or the bottom.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Crap. You have an operatic range at 3 octaves. Can you really sing at the top and bottom of your range? And you know how rare 3 octave ranges are. That’s why common folk can’t sing the Banner. They either sacrifice the top or the bottom.

The hormones (since I’m transgender) as well as a lot of practice really helped fortify my upper range but took away about two semitones out of the bottom of my range. Before I used to be a nice and rich bass (very resonant nearly down to two octaves below middle C). Now at the E or F I’m quiet but still fairly rich. Can’t dream of the deep C anymore. On the other hand, I used to struggle to get up to E above middle C and it was shrill and sounded bad. Now I can sing first tenor or even second alto parts with a nice, sweet resonance. Bb above middle C is around the top of my range that actually sounds okay but I can go two whole steps above it (it just sounds like crap so I don’t).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad