Patrick Lauder out as official anthem singer, (Update: Now named "Anthem Singer Emeritus")

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Via his Facebook Page. The Coyotes ended his run as Official Anthem Singer and will be moving in a different direction. Man they’re just dropping napalm on tradition left and right. Idiots.

::edit::

Link to his FB post.

People from around the world are chiming in. The majority of feedback I’ve seen so far do not like this.

::edit::

Update from Lauder. The CEO calls, tells him how they messed up and....(read on)

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Oh no, not Patrick! Time to prepare for an endless parade of "local recording artist" pop stars.

Reactions: kbay

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Via his Facebook Page. The Coyotes ended his run as Official Anthem Singer and will be moving in a different direction. Man they’re just dropping napalm on tradition left and right. Idiots.
I think everything they’re going is fine and good and I don’t care about those traditions. The anthem singer I would have liked to keep but maybe it’ll be good to mix it up.

Reactions: CC96 and _Del_

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
One of my followers on Twitter reminded me that Oklahoma City made similar steps like the Coyotes are doing now before they moved the NBA Seattle SuperSonics to Oklahoma.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
One of my followers on Twitter reminded me that Oklahoma City made similar steps like the Coyotes are doing now before they moved the NBA Seattle SuperSonics to Oklahoma.
What other changes? So far it's just the anthem singer, right?

Even if there is a deliberate attempt to replace all of our traditions, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. We don't have many traditions anyway. Besides howling in the arena, "he shoots he scores hey goalie you suck", and the white out (which we carried over from Winnipeg and we haven't done in years anyway), what do we have? Didn't Carolina do a culture/tradition reset? No guarantee it would work nearly as well as it did there, but I'm no against the idea because I think the organizations are comparable (at least recently, we have no cups obviously).

Don't get me wrong, Lauder was fine and it sucks that he lost his job. But I don't see it as a huge deal, and even if it's a precursor to more moves to replace our traditions, I also don't see that as huge deal. And I think making the leap from this to the team moving is absolutely bonkers. This is the most confident I've been of stability in damn near a decade. Until a new arena and or long term deal is agreed upon, I'm still not 100% convinced, but we're in so much better shape than we have been recently.

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think everything they’re going is fine and good and I don’t care about those traditions. The anthem singer I would have liked to keep but maybe it’ll be good to mix it up.
It's not, nine times out of ten the alternatives are quite poor. Patrick was great and we were very fortunate to have him. It's not like his game fell of like Doan.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He seemed like a nice guy and like others have said, I sympathize with him losing employment. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But it's just the Anthem and I prefer that gets over with as quickly as possible so the game can start. Give me a fast recording of the marching band anthem every time. I particularly hate when they have someone sing that elongates every word or phrase so it takes forever to get through. But whatever. As long as we don't have morons doing protests during it like other sports, I care very little.

If we want to talk traditions, we have to talk about bringing back Kachinas full time, Curt Keilback, Macho Nachos and Pierre the Fanatic Hockey Snowman to just name a few, way before we worry about who is or isn't singing the National Anthem.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I particularly hate when they have someone sing that elongates every word or phrase so it takes forever to get through. But whatever. As long as we don't have morons doing protests during it like other sports, I care very little.
Well, be prepared for a lot more of that and those who quite frankly suck. Hope I eat my words on that, but absolutely nothing to date, other than Nils Lofgren many, many years ago has proven otherwise.
I think we can look forward to the crackling voice twelve year olds, those wanna be stars that drag it out (as you mention) and maybe we'll even have a mariachi band.... aye yi yi

Reactions: kbay

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It's not, nine times out of ten the alternatives are quite poor. Patrick was great and we were very fortunate to have him. It's not like his game fell of like Doan.

You know, one person on Facebook put it perfectly. He was the face of franchise stability when there was none. People love him and this is a sad day in Coyotes history.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Put it this way, I've been to all but maybe 1/2 a dozen of the Cardinal games and the best they've ever had is the few times that Patrick has performed - he's just so no-nonsense, solid and professional.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In case anyone hadn’t realized it.... the Coyotes had been moving away from having Patrick sing the national anthem for a couple of years now. It’s finally come to the point where they feel they can make the full break as cleanly as possible.

I like Patrick... I follow him on Twitter and he’s always been a pro about it and still is. But changes do happen for whatever reason.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I do like Patrick Lauder and would prefer that they'd keep him. However, that obviously depends on a lot of factors I know almost nothing about. How much does it cost to have him vs other options? What is the relationship they've had recently? Etc etc.

Also agree that I hope they don't have people that take forever singing it... or who butcher the anthem either. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Reactions: Kaizen

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I do like Patrick Lauder and would prefer that they'd keep him. However, that obviously depends on a lot of factors I know almost nothing about. How much does it cost to have him vs other options? What is the relationship they've had recently? Etc etc.

Also agree that I hope they don't have people that take forever singing it... or who butcher the anthem either. Guess we will find out soon enough.
Yep, time will tell, but I've always been of the mindset that the only time to have anyone else was when they have the kids sing prior to welcoming the Blackhawks. Only because it forced their fans to keep quiet out of respect for children. :laugh:

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I doubt Patrick being out as the official anthem singer is indicative of any pending relocation.

To be honest I thought having an official anthem singer was kind of weird in the first place, but I've always liked Patrick.

There must be something else they have in mind that didn't fit in the plans. Odd move for sure.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If they find a near guaranteed to win replacement ala Kate Smith, I'll be okay with this and no doubt Patrick would too!

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
20190921_095538.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad