Patrick Lauder out as official anthem singer, (Update: Now named "Anthem Singer Emeritus")

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I haven’t gotten the impression that Dolemite is outraged. Not sure why so many here want some odd form of confession out of him.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Exactly what traditions are worthwhile about this cursed franchise? What pre-Meruelo tradition makes the Coyotes remarkable, outside of losing games and the entire hockey world wanting our team somewhere else?

Don't be overdramatic. Patrick isn't.

How about equipment manager Stan Wilson, with us since 1996? If they ever get rid of Stan, I swear I'm gonna... keep going to the same amount of games.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How about equipment manager Stan Wilson, with us since 1996? If they ever get rid of Stan, I swear I'm gonna... keep going to the same amount of games.

I mean, in a a vacuum it's not a big deal. But messing with what isn't broken when there's a laundry list of other stuff they should be addressing isn't ideal.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I take this as a good sign that changes are being made and Todd Walsh is in the cross-hairs. I wouldn't be surprised if the television broadcast got changed up a bit over the next season after Meruelo gets more established. Even if there's just expansion in that realm leading to a decrease of his on-screen time, that'd be great.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I take this as a good sign that changes are being made and Todd Walsh is in the cross-hairs. I wouldn't be surprised if the television broadcast got changed up a bit over the next season after Meruelo gets more established. Even if there's just expansion in that realm leading to a decrease of his on-screen time, that'd be great.

I would happily listen to a thousand anthems screeched by deluded high school girls brought up to believe they were Beyonce if Todd Walsh got the heave-ho from the game broadcasts.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Meruelo should get into the builders HOF if he throws Walsh out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Heeter should do PBP and Biz Color on both the radio and TV. Simulcast it. Nash can be host. When Biz is too busy, Nash can do color and Lapinski can fill in as host. Meanwhile, Lapsinski can be the new Vest. Done and Done.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
What I always think is funny about the anthem, and I didn't discover this until very recently, was the original lyrics to the songs were essentially an 18th century drinking song. The tune was quite catchy apparently, then as now, and people borrowed the tune for various patriotic songs over time...somewhere along the line someone set Francis Scott Key's poem to it, and here we are:To Anacreon in Heaven - Wikipedia

The other thing I think is funny is that I remember all of those patriotic songs we got taught at kids in the 70s (God Bless America, America the Beautiful, etc.) and later realizing how obvious it was that "My Country, Tis of Thee" was also "God Save the Queen/King". Cheeky buggers.

It also seems more likely we could have ended up with this as our anthem: Hail, Columbia - Wikipedia

Reactions: Tom Polakis

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
My beef is that “banner” is a quarter followed by 2 eighth notes, not 4 eight notes.

You don't like this rhythm?

9JQodIJ.png

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
What I always think is funny about the anthem, and I didn't discover this until very recently, was the original lyrics to the songs were essentially an 18th century drinking song. The tune was quite catchy apparently, then as now, and people borrowed the tune for various patriotic songs over time...somewhere along the line someone set Francis Scott Key's poem to it, and here we are:To Anacreon in Heaven - Wikipedia

The other thing I think is funny is that I remember all of those patriotic songs we got taught at kids in the 70s (God Bless America, America the Beautiful, etc.) and later realizing how obvious it was that "My Country, Tis of Thee" was also "God Save the Queen/King". Cheeky buggers.

It also seems more likely we could have ended up with this as our anthem: Hail, Columbia - Wikipedia

I only learned very recently that Sousa's "Liberty Bell March" is the theme song for "Monty Python's Flying Circus."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad