Patrick Lauder out as official anthem singer, (Update: Now named "Anthem Singer Emeritus")

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I can’t even articulate how little I care. Unless you’re the guy from the Blackhawks or something, it’s a non factor. You have to really be bringing something to the table to have any affect whatsoever on the overall experience of going to a game

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I love Patrick, but this is really a non-story. He's been cutting back in recent years anyway, and it's not like they fired him - he's one of the judges for the anthem competition linked above, and they're going to have him back to sing a few times this season too.

The thing is, you can use the anthem as a marketing tool. If you think that's cynical, it is - but come on, we've had the Seats for Soldiers program going for years and that's just as cynical a cash grab as anything else.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I always liked Lauder. No nonsense. I remember one year - I think it was 2009-10 season opener, they brought in some legendary guitarist to play the anthem. He played a slow version and tried to show off at the end by playing behind his head, which had marginal results, at best. Just get someone consistent, which Lauder was. I will say that since I last lived there, I did feel like I would see Patrick less and less. More often, an Air Force member from Luke AFB would do so, if no need to sing "O Canada"

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Lauder does the best male renditions of the anthems I've ever heard, so good luck finding an upgrade.

Meh. These competitions will bring new people into the arena. Their friends, their families, who knows if any of them end up really enjoying their time and becoming lifelong fans. Not such an awful idea, and I'm sure they would welcome Patrick back every once in awhile

Reactions: rt and _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like Lauder a lot. One of the best, imo.

But I also don't particularly care if they go another direction. Like Feck said, there are cross promotion opportunities out there, and the potpourri approach nearly everyone uses is sort of fun, imo. Granted I have heard some brutal performances, but I've been occasionally blown away, too.
They can have local choirs, bands , small time celebrities, maybe hire headliners performing in town. There is no shortage of people, bands and groups who will line up for a chance to perform in front of a crowd.

Sidenote: I usually buy Dbacks tickets on the Roger Clyne nights. Been listening to/watching him since the era that the Refreshments, Dead Hot Work Shop, and Gin Blossoms were all working little bars in Tempe and none of them had ever gotten radio airtime. That little cross promotion seems to be paying dividends for them, as it's usually a good crowd who stays after, and he wrote them a jingle.

Reactions: CC96 and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You know, one person on Facebook put it perfectly. He was the face of franchise stability when there was none. People love him and this is a sad day in Coyotes history.
I think that was Shane Doan. Not the anthem singer. Serious question; is he a personal relation to you? Is this a personal thing? It seems like it.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I always felt they should just play the music and have the crowd sing it, much more moving. Canadian anthem might be a problem with that though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have zero issues with how this was handled.

“He explained that the decision made by upper management was strictly business, necessary to allow the team greater flexibility in utilizing National Anthem performances as a marketing tool, providing opportunities for more local singers and musicians to perform for Coyotes games, etc., which is how a majority of teams in most North American professional sports leagues handle the anthem for their games.”

^ this makes complete sense. I’m glad this happened. I think it’s good.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Meh. These competitions will bring new people into the arena. Their friends, their families, who knows if any of them end up really enjoying their time and becoming lifelong fans. Not such an awful idea, and I'm sure they would welcome Patrick back every once in awhile
One of my sons has done the anthem at the Dbacks multiple times, and we always end up with a dozen or more relatives and friends buying tickets.
My youngest has gotten very into baseball based on the few times he gets drug along each year. If you get people to a game and see it live, you'll get your share of fans out of it.

Reactions: RABBIT

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have zero issues with how this was handled.

“He explained that the decision made by upper management was strictly business, necessary to allow the team greater flexibility in utilizing National Anthem performances as a marketing tool, providing opportunities for more local singers and musicians to perform for Coyotes games, etc., which is how a majority of teams in most North American professional sports leagues handle the anthem for their games.”

^ this makes complete sense. I’m glad this happened. I think it’s good.

Hell, he got a better send off than Scott Allen.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A lot of the Canadian teams use anthem singers who intertwine the English lyrics of O Canada with the French lyrics.

I wonder if the above is possible with the Star Spangled Banner with English and Spanish. Just another layer of the new approach toward Hispanic outreach.

Reactions: Kaizen and Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Put the words up on the video screen.
The Canadian anthem only plays when a Canadian team plays. There is never a shortage of folks who know the words on those nights. I doubt that changes anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad