Patrick Lauder out as official anthem singer, (Update: Now named "Anthem Singer Emeritus")

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Just sing the damn song. That's all I ask.

And we'll listen to it.

upload_2019-9-23_8-55-6.png

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I now have the Sex Pistols "God Save the Queen" running through my head now and I'm honestly[ happy about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC96

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Patrick posted an update tonight..... the Coyotes responded to the public reaction to Patrick's situation:

----------------------------
"I want to provide an update to the statement I issued last Friday, regarding my time as the Official Anthem Singer of the Arizona Coyotes coming to an end.

‪This past Monday evening I received a phone call from Coyotes President and CEO Ahron Cohen, and we had a very productive, positive, and downright pleasant conversation.‬

After receiving some messages from Coyotes fans voicing their opinions via Twitter last weekend regarding the team’s decision to end the Official Anthem Singer tradition, he read the statement that I posted. He did not think that I had portrayed the team in a negative light, nor that I had expressed animosity towards the organization, but he could tell that I had some strong emotions about the situation. So he felt it was important that he personally reach out to and provide additional clarity around the decision, and to discuss some ideas he had about how the partnership the Coyotes and I have built with each other over the past 23 year, could continue in a very positive way.

The first thing he did was sincerely apologize for how the decision was communicated to me. I explained to him that I felt the communication was done very professionally, and I that appreciated the candor and care with which it was delivered.

Ahron also reiterated the Coyotes appreciation for my commitment to the organization, our fans, and the community-at-large for the past 23 years, and how much the team and himself personally, enjoy my interpretation of the US and Canadian anthems.

The team’s decision makes logical sense, as most teams that participate in the NHL’s longstanding “Official Anthem Singer” tradition, utilize their singers for almost every home game, while over the past few years I have only been singing for between 25-40% of Coyotes home games.

Ahron clarified the intent of the Coyotes’ philosophy going forward with regard to the National Anthems, which will focus on honoring the Anthem by showcasing the diversity of musical talent in Arizona, an idea with which I wholeheartedly agree. Arizona has some amazing musicians and singers who deserve an opportunity to share their unique talents with our fans.

And in that spirit of fostering music education within our diverse community, Ahron informed me that Coyotes Charities would be creating a $2,500 yearly charitable endowment in my name, to be awarded each year to a different non-profit music education organization in Arizona that teaches, mentors, and provides musical experiences and opportunities for underserved youth.

It’s hard for me to put into words how stunned and grateful I am to Ahron and the Coyotes for doing this. I was blessed to have music teachers and mentors in my life that impacted me in so many inspirational ways, and it’s humbling to think that an endowment in my name will positively impact the lives of potential young musicians and vocalists that may otherwise never receive the enriching experience of musical education.

The other pertinent topic we discussed was my role with the organization going-forward. I had already committed to the team’s invitation to participate as a judge for the team’s Opening Night Anthem Singer contest next week, and to performing the anthems on occasion for Coyotes games in the future. Ahron made two great suggestions in this area that I agreed to immediately: First, reserving Fan Appreciation Night anthem at the end of each season for me to perform; and second, the team modifying my former title of “Official Anthem Singer” to an honorific title instead, to acknowledge the respect the organization has for my years of service. We tossed around a couple of potential titles, but the one we both landed on was “Anthem Singer Emeritus”, a title that is both apt, and kind of fun.

I look forward to many years of fulfilling my role as the “Anthem Singer Emeritus” of the Arizona Coyotes, and I am grateful to Ahron Cohen for taking the time to reach out personally, and for making me truly feel what I’ve always known: I have been, and always will be, part of the Coyotes organization and OUR PACK!"

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Patrick posted an update tonight..... the Coyotes responded to the public reaction to Patrick's situation:

----------------------------
"I want to provide an update to the statement I issued last Friday, regarding my time as the Official Anthem Singer of the Arizona Coyotes coming to an end.

‪This past Monday evening I received a phone call from Coyotes President and CEO Ahron Cohen, and we had a very productive, positive, and downright pleasant conversation.‬

After receiving some messages from Coyotes fans voicing their opinions via Twitter last weekend regarding the team’s decision to end the Official Anthem Singer tradition, he read the statement that I posted. He did not think that I had portrayed the team in a negative light, nor that I had expressed animosity towards the organization, but he could tell that I had some strong emotions about the situation. So he felt it was important that he personally reach out to and provide additional clarity around the decision, and to discuss some ideas he had about how the partnership the Coyotes and I have built with each other over the past 23 year, could continue in a very positive way.

The first thing he did was sincerely apologize for how the decision was communicated to me. I explained to him that I felt the communication was done very professionally, and I that appreciated the candor and care with which it was delivered.

Ahron also reiterated the Coyotes appreciation for my commitment to the organization, our fans, and the community-at-large for the past 23 years, and how much the team and himself personally, enjoy my interpretation of the US and Canadian anthems.

The team’s decision makes logical sense, as most teams that participate in the NHL’s longstanding “Official Anthem Singer” tradition, utilize their singers for almost every home game, while over the past few years I have only been singing for between 25-40% of Coyotes home games.

Ahron clarified the intent of the Coyotes’ philosophy going forward with regard to the National Anthems, which will focus on honoring the Anthem by showcasing the diversity of musical talent in Arizona, an idea with which I wholeheartedly agree. Arizona has some amazing musicians and singers who deserve an opportunity to share their unique talents with our fans.

And in that spirit of fostering music education within our diverse community, Ahron informed me that Coyotes Charities would be creating a $2,500 yearly charitable endowment in my name, to be awarded each year to a different non-profit music education organization in Arizona that teaches, mentors, and provides musical experiences and opportunities for underserved youth.

It’s hard for me to put into words how stunned and grateful I am to Ahron and the Coyotes for doing this. I was blessed to have music teachers and mentors in my life that impacted me in so many inspirational ways, and it’s humbling to think that an endowment in my name will positively impact the lives of potential young musicians and vocalists that may otherwise never receive the enriching experience of musical education.

The other pertinent topic we discussed was my role with the organization going-forward. I had already committed to the team’s invitation to participate as a judge for the team’s Opening Night Anthem Singer contest next week, and to performing the anthems on occasion for Coyotes games in the future. Ahron made two great suggestions in this area that I agreed to immediately: First, reserving Fan Appreciation Night anthem at the end of each season for me to perform; and second, the team modifying my former title of “Official Anthem Singer” to an honorific title instead, to acknowledge the respect the organization has for my years of service. We tossed around a couple of potential titles, but the one we both landed on was “Anthem Singer Emeritus”, a title that is both apt, and kind of fun.

I look forward to many years of fulfilling my role as the “Anthem Singer Emeritus” of the Arizona Coyotes, and I am grateful to Ahron Cohen for taking the time to reach out personally, and for making me truly feel what I’ve always known: I have been, and always will be, part of the Coyotes organization and OUR PACK!"
How the f*** did this organization luck themselves into Ahron Cohen?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Posted Lauder’s update to the first post of this thread.

Cohen is shaping up to be the front office version of Doan.

He still f***ed up big time with the NHL playoff blackout in Northern Arizona this past season. He needed to tell fans what was going on and didn’t.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
He needs to add "emeritus" to his second job title on Linkdin. Back when I used to listen to FM morning shows, I remember one of them having him sing the anthem in a back room at his Discount Tire office.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Isn't Northern Arizona considered Vegas' TV territory anyway?

No. FSNAZ

While this turn is honorable and kind, it doesn't change what our ears will be subjected to in the arena.

Exactly. The Coyotes are complete and utter idiots for doing this.

He needs to add "emeritus" to his second job title on Linkdin. Back when I used to listen to FM morning shows, I remember one of them having him sing the anthem in a back room at his Discount Tire office.

You do know Discount Tire’s HQ is in Scottsdale, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad