Proposal: Patrick Laine trade?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Werenski for Laine is what it will take , and appears to be what’s being discussed . I love ZW , and he’s made massive strides on defensive end , but I would do this deal all day long . Does little good to be structured like the Nashville Predators were , amazing defensive depth , and a ho hum offense . Jackets would be fine with Jones , Gavrikov, Murray, Savard , Kukan, Nutivaara , Peeke , Harrington

This is almost certainly clickbait/fake and I sure hope it is.

Werenski might be the best player on our team, I'd probably sooner trade Jones than him.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
theScore suggests:

Signed David Savard
Josh Anderson
2021 3rd rounder

I would do that deal, no way the Jets do though right?

5 potential trade destinations for Laine

I don't see it but would certainly love it if we could.

Listening to the Athletic podcast on the subject -- Allison makes some strong points about Laine being a one trick pony. It's a tremendous trick (goal scoring) but that's about it with him. Doesn't drive play, not great defensively, etc.

If Jarmo sees it the same way, then yeah, no way he'll move Werenski for him. Not sure we have much else to entice Winnipeg.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Werenski for Laine. Definitely not.

Zach is only Dman who can be motor for PP. Laine is elitewinger but no i wouldnt break top3 pair in the league for him. Jones,Zach and PLD are untouchable. Anyone or anything else dont care so much.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine is not a Diva asking for too much money, the problem IMHO is Scheiffele's refusal to play with him and Maurice going along with it.

I'm a Jets fan too, I know the context here. I think you might be underestimating how bad this kind of drama would be in Columbus. Our team is very cohesive and prides itself on being better than the sum of its parts. Laine can't even set foot in this locker room if he isn't prepared to leave his personal pride aside and be fully committed to the team, even if that means playing on a second line if leadership asks him to.

What you're referencing is mostly 2018-19 stuff by the way. Jets had an elite top line of Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler while Laine was a huge drag to the team, not coincidentally while he was playing fortnite all of the time. It's not surprising that the leaders were upset with him and didn't want him on their line. This past year he played something like half the year on the top line, and though he was better than the year before, he wasn't any better than the Jets other top wingers. The Jackets won't be playing pouty wingers where they want to be played and in my view the Jets shouldn't either.

Reactions: rotsbu

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Elite defensive goal scorers are more valuable than a disgruntled goal scoring winger.

Z is special. Whenever I think cbj trades hes in my untouchables.

Maybe at the draft give them the 1st, any dman that's not Jones or Z. Any forward that's not PLD, Bjorkstrand.

Tex seems to be the most next valuable piece.

I think a 1 for 1 trade with Laine and Z is a loss for the Jackets. Just my opinion

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
No f***ing way do you trade Z, unless you want to piss off Seth and watch him walk.
The chemistry between those 2 is incalculable now, you don't break that up.

Savard I would consider, plus Josh.

Reactions: lilfedor

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
No f***ing way do you trade Z, unless you want to piss off Seth and watch him walk.
The chemistry between those 2 is incalculable now, you don't break that up.

Savard I would consider, plus Josh.
Seth Jones is the driving force of that line though. We’ve seen Zach struggle when Jones was injured. But certainly we don’t have anyone comparable to Werenski when it comes to puck moving and shooting at defense

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Trading Texier could be a dumb move. I don't make the trade if it involves PLD, Tex, Z, Jones. Anybody else I would, but I think trading Tex and additional assets might not be the smartest move as Texier himself appears to be a very special player.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This is almost certainly clickbait/fake and I sure hope it is.

Werenski might be the best player on our team, I'd probably sooner trade Jones than him.

WHAT!? Talk about clickbait.

Werenski is good, but, he has just as many “warts” as Laine does and makes nowhere near the impact that Jones makes. Not to mention Dubois exists when talking about our “best player”...

Being a #1 defenseman is way different than being a #2 defenseman BEHIND Seth Jones.

I can’t claim to watch Laine on a daily basis, and don’t know the true issues between him, and his teammates/coach or the “work ethic”/video game stuff, but, I think it’s ridiculous all the people trying to dismiss him and his potential impact on the CBJ, especially in relation to somebody who’s been given excuses for anything negative because of his offensive ability, in Werenski.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I'm a Jets fan too, I know the context here. I think you might be underestimating how bad this kind of drama would be in Columbus. Our team is very cohesive and prides itself on being better than the sum of its parts. Laine can't even set foot in this locker room if he isn't prepared to leave his personal pride aside and be fully committed to the team, even if that means playing on a second line if leadership asks him to.

What you're referencing is mostly 2018-19 stuff by the way. Jets had an elite top line of Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler while Laine was a huge drag to the team, not coincidentally while he was playing fortnite all of the time. It's not surprising that the leaders were upset with him and didn't want him on their line. This past year he played something like half the year on the top line, and though he was better than the year before, he wasn't any better than the Jets other top wingers. The Jackets won't be playing pouty wingers where they want to be played and in my view the Jets shouldn't either.

This is complete BS! Laine outplayed and passed Blake Wheeler this season even pro hockey analysts like Ken Weibe agree with this.

Despite last seasons improvements come playoff camp, Blake Wheeler is still on the first line and first PP unit instead of Laine and Ehlers resepectively!!

If you value Laine this low then you cant demand an elite player in return.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Trading Texier could be a dumb move. I don't make the trade if it involves PLD, Tex, Z, Jones. Anybody else I would, but I think trading Tex and additional assets might not be the smartest move as Texier himself appears to be a very special player.
I would most certainly move Texier for Laine if he’s the center piece of the trade

Reactions: We Want Ten

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
A month ago I would have done Werenski for Laine under the rationale that Jones can carry the top pairing with another top-4 guy (Murray, Kukan, Peeke, etc.) and Gavrikov - Savard is one of the best second pairings in the league.

But I have since gone back and rewatched many of the games from this season. In doing so, I no longer believe that Werenski is expendable. At least not if he is willing to play here past his current contract.

Werenski led the league in goals for defensemen, is among the league leaders in points for a defenseman the past 3 years, and is actually quite good defensively (he is still growing in that regard). There is a reason why he got a few more Norris votes than Jones this season- and it wasn't entirely unwarranted.

I consider moving anyone outside of PLD, Jones, and Werenski for Laine. Bjorkstrand is a move that could come back to bite us, but he wouldn't be strictly off limits.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A month ago I would have done Werenski for Laine under the rationale that Jones can carry the top pairing with another top-4 guy (Murray, Kukan, Peeke, etc.) and Gavrikov - Savard is one of the best second pairings in the league.

But I have since gone back and rewatched many of the games from this season. In doing so, I no longer believe that Werenski is expendable. At least not if he is willing to play here past his current contract.

Werenski led the league in goals for defensemen, is among the league leaders in points for a defenseman the past 3 years, and is actually quite good defensively (he is still growing in that regard). There is a reason why he got a few more Norris votes than Jones this season- and it wasn't entirely unwarranted.

I consider moving anyone outside of PLD, Jones, and Werenski for Laine. Bjorkstrand is a move that could come back to bite us, but he wouldn't be strictly off limits.

It wasn't unwarranted in the slightest. He had the better year.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Elite defensive goal scorers are more valuable than a disgruntled goal scoring winger.

I think a 1 for 1 trade with Laine and Z is a loss for the Jackets. Just my opinion

Which is more valuable to the 2022 and on CBJ?? How many people felt the same way about Johansen and Jones??

Those ridiculous player descriptions remind me of the people calling Jones “3rd pairing” and anybody wanting to trade Jojo a “hater”.

That said, it’s clear Laine isn’t in a situation that he necessarily enjoys or is best for his potential overall on ice impact. So “growth” and “potential” is there. He’s easily the closest thing to Panarin when it comes to offensive impact, that is most likely going to be available to add to the offense in the near future.

Most people seem ok dumping Savard and yet many also feel WPG takes him as a main piece for Laine??

Sincerely, known Werenski hater.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If we're trading Werenski, Barkov better be the guy coming back. You don't trade elite defensemen for top-line wingers that aren't play drivers
I like guys who can drive play, too, but are you saying wouldn’t traded Werenski for a prime years Ovi?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
But not in the final voting.
Which is exactly what I pointed out.

Everyone during the season was talking about Jones rather than Werenski. But in the end, Werenski got more votes. And going back to rewatch the games, the reason behind that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad