Proposal: Patrick Laine trade?

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
What would it take to get him here?

I feel like him and dubi would be a amazing top line! We need some pure talent to help dubi out.

I would offer savard, benstrom, and one of our top Russian prospects.

Thoughts. I dont think benstrom will be more than a bottle 6 guy.
Savard contracts up soon
Prospects could turn out to be nothing.

Patrick Laine !!! Would be instant upgrade on our top line!!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
From the Jets perspective I wouldn't trade Laine unless I got both a top 4 RHD signed long term and a 2C option signed long term. So an extended Savard + Texier, and that might not be enough.

I'm not a big Laine fan to be honest. He's a beast who still might become a 50g superstar but I don't want the headaches that he has created with coaches and linemates. Would it be worth it? Maybe.

Reactions: Fro and lilfedor

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
What would it take to get him here?

I feel like him and dubi would be a amazing top line! We need some pure talent to help dubi out.

I would offer savard, benstrom, and one of our top Russian prospects.

Thoughts. I dont think benstrom will be more than a bottle 6 guy.
Savard contracts up soon
Prospects could turn out to be nothing.

Patrick Laine !!! Would be instant upgrade on our top line!!

Referring to PLD as Dubi is just wrong. There's only 1 and he's apparently done playing.

I also fear what Laine would cost. Someone i don't wanna lose like Tex or Bjorkstrand in addition to Savard or Gavrikov.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
Don't think a Savard, Tex deal would even remotely get it done. If Laine is put on the market, teams like Mtl would almost do a Lindros type deal to bring him in & get the fans fired up. Something like Domi, top 4 D, top prospect, & a 1st(2021)

Reactions: Benstheman and Ciao

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I'm not a big Laine fan to be honest. He's a beast who still might become a 50g superstar but I don't want the headaches that he has created with coaches and linemates. Would it be worth it? Maybe.

I am intrigued by what Torts could do with Laine. I think if he bought in, he's in the Hart trophy conversation often. If not, he's a headache that will turn a locker room.

Reactions: majormajor

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Don't think a Savard, Tex deal would even remotely get it done. If Laine is put on the market, teams like Mtl would almost do a Lindros type deal to bring him in & get the fans fired up. Something like Domi, top 4 D, top prospect, & a 1st(2021)
According to Lebrun, Montreal not in on Laine. They mentioned Carolina was interested but when they saw the price tag, they were like never mind and talks ended. The fact that talks didn't end with Columbus so far is interesting. Either Jarmo loves Laine so much he's willing to trade Jones or Werenski(I pray that he loves Jones and Z more than Laine). Got to give to get or Jets willing to take a package that doesn't include either of those 2. Maybe they like Texier as 1 of the pieces. Maybe Jarmo doesn't want to trade him but again have to give to get (like the Saad trade. Jarmo didn't want to trade Dano but had no choice if he wanted Saad). Awhile ago Portzline mentioned lots of teams interested in Marchenko. Would you give up a package that includes both Texier and Marchenko and another piece(Savard, Gavrikov, Murray although I doubt they would take Murray).

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Purely on their respective abilities I'd trade Savard & Tex for Laine in a NY minute. Now factoring in the potential head case issues which would probably be accentuated by him playing for Torts I don't know.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Im sure that Jarmo is trying to get Granlund and Laine. That doesnt make 2C problem go away. If Wenny is 2C and plays with Granlund and Laine those pass what Laine gets just huh what feeding he haves. But i would do

Tex+Savard+VV

For Laine

Reactions: Lumbus

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Im sure that Jarmo is trying to get Granlund and Laine. That doesnt make 2C problem go away. If Wenny is 2C and plays with Granlund and Laine those pass what Laine gets just huh what feeding he haves. But i would do

Tex+Savard+VV

For Laine

Especially because Jets want a 2C included for Laine according to TSN peeps

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I personally think any realistic Laine trade starts and ends with Werenski.

I love Weresnki and I'm not a huge Laine guy but I'd think long and hard about that one as we MUST add impact forwards. I realize it weakens our backend but we aren't getting a player like this for Savard and Texier. In Jarmo I'd trust if he pulled the trigger.

If we could then turn Anderson+ into a Domi-type now we are onto something offensively.

Spitballing:

Texier - Dubois - Laine
Foudy - Domi - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Wennberg - Atkinson
Foligno - Nash - Jenner

Murray - Jones
Gavrikov - Savard
Kukan - Peeke

Korpi/Elvis

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I personally think any realistic Laine trade starts and ends with Werenski.

Probably and I wouldn’t do it. I know Zach is back under the radar now because of all the young scoring d-men in these playoffs but he is special and yeah I’m a homer but I don’t know as I’d trade him for Laine.

Tex + Savard I mean... it’s probably just that I’ve never warmed to Laine and I wonder about his next payday and I’m also a Texier homer so my opinion is skewed.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I am also a Texier homer that doesn't really want to trade him in 99% of circumstances, this being one of them. That being said, I would be really interested in finding a way to get Laine, as that would be a great PP solution for us. His contract/demands worry me though.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'm very uneasy about a Laine trade. As others have said, it could go spectacularly but there's enough question marks about Laine's consistency to give pause when it comes to his steep price. To me, that risk/reward equation hopefully means that Werenski is off the table in this deal.

Reactions: rotsbu

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Werenski for Laine is what it will take , and appears to be what’s being discussed . I love ZW , and he’s made massive strides on defensive end , but I would do this deal all day long . Does little good to be structured like the Nashville Predators were , amazing defensive depth , and a ho hum offense . Jackets would be fine with Jones , Gavrikov, Murray, Savard , Kukan, Nutivaara , Peeke , Harrington

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Given my stance above on not trading Zach for Laine, take this with a grain of salt, that it may come with implicit bias...

But "discussed a trade involving" Werenski for Laine could be Jackets call and inquire about Laine and Jets say it'll cost Werenski.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Werenski for Laine is a swing for the fences trade - a huge trade not dissimilar talent-wise From the RyJo for Jones trade. But in this case, it’d be us getting the enigmatic player. It’d be a trade where both teams could be winners or one with only one winner - in which case it’d be not us. Thus it’s the kind of trades that can put a GM on the pedestal or in the unemployment line.

Reactions: rotsbu and thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Werenski for Laine is a swing for the fences trade - a huge trade not dissimilar talent-wise From the RyJo for Jones trade. But in this case, it’d be us getting the enigmatic player. It’d be a trade where both teams could be winners or one with only one winner - in which case it’d be not us. Thus it’s the kind of trades that can put a GM on the pedestal or in the unemployment line.
At some point , dumpster diving reclamation projects become not enough , jackets window is now . As they are currently structured they are a playoff team , but everything would have to go right to advance deep in playoffs . If the Jackets don’t get aggressive , and break the door down , it’s going to be a tough sell to convince Seth Jones to stay here .

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The question is are we lacking finishers or playmakers ? I think the correct answer is both, but if we don’t have great play makers to set Laine up, I don’t know how effective he will be here ?

Also, I don’t like Laine for Werenski trade. If Seth walks in 2 years, our defense is finished

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad