Proposal: Patrick Laine trade?

Tulisuudelmasi

Sep 25, 2020
I'm a Jets fan too, I know the context here. I think you might be underestimating how bad this kind of drama would be in Columbus. Our team is very cohesive and prides itself on being better than the sum of its parts. Laine can't even set foot in this locker room if he isn't prepared to leave his personal pride aside and be fully committed to the team, even if that means playing on a second line if leadership asks him to.

What you're referencing is mostly 2018-19 stuff by the way. Jets had an elite top line of Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler while Laine was a huge drag to the team, not coincidentally while he was playing fortnite all of the time. It's not surprising that the leaders were upset with him and didn't want him on their line. This past year he played something like half the year on the top line, and though he was better than the year before, he wasn't any better than the Jets other top wingers. The Jackets won't be playing pouty wingers where they want to be played and in my view the Jets shouldn't either.

First of all, you are speaking of two organizations whose leadership favors climbing the tree ass first in every which way when it comes to the play. Ever since safe is death every attempt has been made to avoid scoring. Now actually would be a nice time to consider re-tooling. If you have plenty of mobile defencemen why not once again use them against the enemy and drop for example the Savard-led brake pair. Especially now when who knows how crazy of a deal Winnipeg would be willing to accept. Which could even be similar to the Rick Nash trade where they had to only give middling players in return. Not the second or third best Finnish forward.

Laine is of the seed of a proud family but highly determined and hard-working so the image created of him is ludicrous. Laine was notoriously one of the first who made big iron obey him in the summers. Not in his hometown of Tampere, a proud city of the Tavastians but in Turku, the first city of West Finns and home to people of absolute seriousness such as the Koivu family. There he trained under Hannu Rautala, a veteran sports and tracks trainer, in the same group with Mikko Rantanen.

The one reason Winnipeg would be willing to depart from Laine by a compromise is probably that he does not want to commit to playing in a Mickey Mouse organization. Since he has already succeeded under meidän peli- playbooks of Tappara and Jukka Jalonen. While Gold-Jukka Jalonen has been sending come and get me pleas for a few years now, one Jarmo Kekäläinen meanwhile has been waiting if some other NHL organization would like competitive advantage instead while he employs coaches laughed out of Finland in Eaves or Madden.

I don't know how Jampe lucked his way into Hartnell or could he do it with Granlund again. But is wise to remember that Jarmo Kekäläinen only believes in hard work. Laine fits that description but the more abstract qualities strong in Laine's character such as play and dynasty of winning are Hebrew to Jarmo Kekäläinen. Fellers, let's remember that this is a man who pushed the Blue Jackets as part of the global series despite the fact that his team did not have any names then or now. None of the Finnish stars people would actually want to see in Helsinki. I do not necessarily see why Laine would not Panarin-like follow the Eurasian ice hockey pyramid in that they favor to play for the advantageous big clubs over the long term. Granlund and Puljujärvi might give how they are now undervalued by larger imaginary despite being among the most potent Olympic-class forwards.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
First of all, you are speaking of two organizations whose leadership favors climbing the tree ass first in every which way when it comes to the play. Ever since safe is death every attempt has been made to avoid scoring. Now actually would be a nice time to consider re-tooling. If you have plenty of mobile defencemen why not once again use them against the enemy and drop for example the Savard-led brake pair. Especially now when who knows how crazy of a deal Winnipeg would be willing to accept. Which could even be similar to the Rick Nash trade where they had to only give middling players in return. Not the second or third best Finnish forward.

Laine is of the seed of a proud family but highly determined and hard-working so the image created of him is ludicrous. Laine was notoriously one of the first who made big iron obey him in the summers. Not in his hometown of Tampere, a proud city of the Tavastians but in Turku, the first city of West Finns and home to people of absolute seriousness such as the Koivu family. There he trained under Hannu Rautala, a veteran sports and tracks trainer, in the same group with Mikko Rantanen.

The one reason Winnipeg would be willing to depart from Laine by a compromise is probably that he does not want to commit to playing in a Mickey Mouse organization. Since he has already succeeded under meidän peli- playbooks of Tappara and Jukka Jalonen. While Gold-Jukka Jalonen has been sending come and get me pleas for a few years now, one Jarmo Kekäläinen meanwhile has been waiting if some other NHL organization would like competitive advantage instead while he employs coaches laughed out of Finland in Eaves or Madden.

I don't know how Jampe lucked his way into Hartnell or could he do it with Granlund again. But is wise to remember that Jarmo Kekäläinen only believes in hard work. Laine fits that description but the more abstract qualities strong in Laine's character such as play and dynasty of winning are Hebrew to Jarmo Kekäläinen. Fellers, let's remember that this is a man who pushed the Blue Jackets as part of the global series despite the fact that his team did not have any names then or now. None of the Finnish stars people would actually want to see in Helsinki. I do not necessarily see why Laine would not Panarin-like follow the Eurasian ice hockey pyramid in that they favor to play for the advantageous big clubs over the long term. Granlund and Puljujärvi might give how they are now undervalued by larger imaginary despite being among the most potent Olympic-class forwards.

Welcome back Tulip.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The problem to me is that you lose at least 15 goals because we have no one else who could come close to his offensive production. Thus when u start to add Laine yo do so from a position of 15 goals in the red.so Laine scores 30, it is really an increase for the team of only 15 goals.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I'm a big fan of Laine and I'd advise anyone to not trade for him. The price would be way too big - even if it would be of "fair value", the fans of the acquiring team would probably be screaming for their GM to be burned at the stake. And his next contract will be a pricey one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The problem to me is that you lose at least 15 goals because we have no one else who could come close to his offensive production. Thus when u start to add Laine yo do so from a position of 15 goals in the red.so Laine scores 30, it is really an increase for the team of only 15 goals.

I think that's absolutely the right way to think about what Werenski brings.

It might be tempting to think Werenski's 25 < Laine's 45, but what really matters is how much these guys exceed their replacements.

Werenski could plausibly score 25 in the same situations that Murray/Gavrikov only score 5. Laine could score 45 for us, it wouldn't be surprising, but you give another winger the same plum job with the best linemates and tee him up on the powerplay over and over again all year, and he'll probably get 25 or even 30 if it's a skilled triggerman like Atkinson or Bjorkstrand. I don't think you can improve in goal scoring by swapping Werenski for another player.

And Werenski's defense took a huge step forward. How many times in those insane minutes against Tampa and Toronto's lethal forwards did he look overmatched? I don't think much if at all. He's shaping up to be a total package elite D-man.

Reactions: rotsbu

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Jones could easily regularly pot an extra 5+ goals with increased offensive/PP opportunities and put up just as many goals as Werenski in a good year. Neither guy is going to score more than 15-20 goals a year. If u add 5 goals to Jones, which imo is more than realistic, could be 10 in certain years, you are looking at -10 when it comes to goals. Laine would more than likely score 30 at minimum, and for those all about “offensive skill” and “potential” the idea of 40+ goals shouldn’t be out of the question.

But, who cares if it only was +15 goals??

Why is that extra 15 goals so important in regards to replacing Jenner/Foligno, giving Bemstrom ice time or firing our PP coaches, and yet in this case it’s “just 15 extra goals”??

Reactions: Toe Pick

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The problem to me is that you lose at least 15 goals because we have no one else who could come close to his offensive production.
“His” is a reference to Werenski

I’m so confused. The whole point would be to acquire a guy that had more offensive production.

Werenski is good offensively. I understand the questions about dealing him for a more two way forward, or more of a question mark, but, isn’t the 1 thing we can’t take away from Laine the same reason that Werenski gets so much credit?

My point is, why does Werenski get things excused because of his offensive ability and not Laine?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m so confused. The whole point would be to acquire a guy that had more offensive production.

Werenski is good offensively. I understand the questions about dealing him for a more two way forward, or more of a question mark, but, isn’t the 1 thing we can’t take away from Laine the same reason that Werenski gets so much credit?

My point is, why does Werenski get things excused because of his offensive ability and not Laine?

For me its because Werenski not only brings you near elite level offensive ability from the defensive position, but he's also giving you good level defense (and improving massively as time has gone on.) When you think of up and coming elite D, Werenski is near the top of the list. If you think of elite young goal scorers, Laine will make the list, but not at the top of it.

I like Laine a lot. I would take him on my team anyday of the week. But I'm not trading Werenski for him. And the fact that Werenski was largely seen as available by this board this time a year ago due to not being "good enough defensively, and our depth on D makes him expendable", and a full year later Werenski was not only better offensively but also very good defensively, and I'm reading the same posts about how we should make him available. It didn't make sense to me last year, and it doesn't now.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I personally don’t want Laine at all. I feel he’s not only a difficult player to have in the Locker room but when his contract is up he’s going to want 10M+. Cbj won’t do it and we will lose him.

But, if I had to put an offer together for him it would be something of the following

Murray + Anderson + Carlson + Mid pick

Murray helps their defensive problems now. Anderson helps give them grit and some scoring back.
Carlson can get bottom 6 time and develop to a top 4.
Mid round pick as a sweetener.

obviously this is without there being an extension in place.

If a long term extension is in place...who knows

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For me its because Werenski not only brings you near elite level offensive ability from the defensive position, but he's also giving you good level defense (and improving massively as time has gone on.) When you think of up and coming elite D, Werenski is near the top of the list. If you think of elite young goal scorers, Laine will make the list, but not at the top of it.

I like Laine a lot. I would take him on my team anyday of the week. But I'm not trading Werenski for him. And the fact that Werenski was largely seen as available by this board this time a year ago due to not being "good enough defensively, and our depth on D makes him expendable", and a full year later Werenski was not only better offensively but also very good defensively, and I'm reading the same posts about how we should make him available. It didn't make sense to me last year, and it doesn't now.

Laine has 138 career goals and is 22 years old. Conner McDavid is 23 with 168 goals and 1 extra year in the league. Leon Draisaitl is 24 and also has 168 career goals.

Laine goes cold for 1/2 season where he still scores 30 goals and he's somehow fallen off out of the discussion on top young goal scorers? In a full season this year he would have broken 30 this year where he was basically used as a decoy on the powerplay and had 2nd line duty without a steady center to play with. Consistency of Laine and Dubois together could be very dangerous on the offensive end. If the CBJ then somehow acquire a 2nd line center Bjorkstrand could be a solid 2nd line option.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Laine has 138 career goals and is 22 years old. Conner McDavid is 23 with 168 goals and 1 extra year in the league. Leon Draisaitl is 24 and also has 168 career goals.

Laine goes cold for 1/2 season where he still scores 30 goals and he's somehow fallen off out of the discussion on top young goal scorers? In a full season this year he would have broken 30 this year where he was basically used as a decoy on the powerplay and had 2nd line duty without a steady center to play with. Consistency of Laine and Dubois together could be very dangerous on the offensive end. If the CBJ then somehow acquire a 2nd line center Bjorkstrand could be a solid 2nd line option.

You’re not wrong. But it’s still not worth Werenski and it’s not even a close call

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
For whatever this is worth from a site called NHLTraderumors.me:

According to sources connected to Winnipeg, Columbus is offering a deal centered around RHD David Savard, forward Boone Jenner and several draft picks and prospects.

Blue Jackets make a trade offer for the Jets' Patrik Laine
Lol, this can’t be real, even if we’re offering 1st. Horrible value. Unless of course we’re sending Foudy and Marchenko away. That’d be questionable

Reactions: Cowumbus

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
I would trade Jenner, and savard and 3rd and 5th with a prospect karlsson.

Savard contract up soon. Jenner is great grit guy but just a bottom 3 line guys.

Give me A 22year old 30+ goal scorer!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
For whatever this is worth from a site called NHLTraderumors.me:

According to sources connected to Winnipeg, Columbus is offering a deal centered around RHD David Savard, forward Boone Jenner and several draft picks and prospects.

Blue Jackets make a trade offer for the Jets' Patrik Laine

This is a horrible offer. Jets would be robbed if they take this kind of deal. Boone and Savard are great warriors but prospects need to be Marchenko and Foudy.

I think Laines price is way too high. Have to give overpay so Jets let him go.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm on the fence with Laine because of the cost. I would think Laine is considered a prime asset with a ton of value. He's not being traded for secondary assets like Savard and Jenner even with a first in the deal. I've been middle of the road with Jarmos moves as GM and thought his handling of the Panarin situation was a fail. But if he can pull off a Laine deal for that package...that would be highway robbery.

Some think a slow aging David Savard can still be a corner stone shut down guy for the next several years (I don't). His trade value at the deadline next year will never be higher. Unless he's willing to take a very team friendly, short term deal (he won't and shouldn't), I'd move him.

Trading Werenski for something other than an established or young potential 1C would be asset mismanagement. Yet some want to trade away a top pair 20 goal defender for a winger because of a lack of front end scoring. That in itself screams of desperation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad