Proposal: Patrick Laine trade?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
What about Nuti, Bemmstrom, Boone for Ehlers? I've also wondered if something around Cam for Backlund (2C) could work to shore up the 2C position (I'm only doing this if Anderson is re-signed for 4-5 years). Could then consider buyout of Wennberg to play Tex at 3C to learn. Or possibly even hold on to Wennberg as defensive 3C, although the savings in this time may be a little more important for CBJ?

Personally I don't want to move Boone if we can do something without but I would like him back at a 3LW type position. With Robinson coming on and the likes of Foudy adding more speed to the lineup we might also be in a position to take a cap dump and add picks for future stock. Just some thoughts. All that to say, I prefer we don't chase Laine if Ehlers is actually available.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What about Nuti, Bemmstrom, Boone for Ehlers? I've also wondered if something around Cam for Backlund (2C) could work to shore up the 2C position (I'm only doing this if Anderson is re-signed for 4-5 years). Could then consider buyout of Wennberg to play Tex at 3C to learn. Or possibly even hold on to Wennberg as defensive 3C, although the savings in this time may be a little more important for CBJ?

Personally I don't want to move Boone if we can do something without but I would like him back at a 3LW type position. With Robinson coming on and the likes of Foudy adding more speed to the lineup we might also be in a position to take a cap dump and add picks for future stock. Just some thoughts. All that to say, I prefer we don't chase Laine if Ehlers is actually available.

I'd agree but he isn't available. They're dangling his name to see if they can get big upgrades at 2C and D. Nuti/Bem/Boone doesn't do any of that. Cam for Backlund, it doesn't seem like there's much chance of that, but I'd be all over it.

Reactions: hn777

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
In my opinion, I think we need to keep Zack Werenski because he and Jones are our core. We need a guy like Patrick Laine and he is likely as close a Bread like player as we will find - giving him the reins of the PP and feeding him on the first line may allow him to compete for the Rocket.. and he is very much what the Dr. ordered for our anemic offense / PP. How can Jarmo do it? I haven't a clue.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
In my opinion, I think we need to keep Zack Werenski because he and Jones are our core. We need a guy like Patrick Laine and he is likely as close a Bread like player as we will find - giving him the reins of the PP and feeding him on the first line may allow him to compete for the Rocket.. and he is very much what the Dr. ordered for our anemic offense / PP. How can Jarmo do it? I haven't a clue.
I don’t see Jarmo being able to do it without moving PLD, Werenski or Jones. There’s a few teams that can offer decent returns for Laine. I hope we don’t go for broke sending our best prospects and 1st rounders.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I know it's yet another rumor tweet but there is a lot of smoke around Laine to the CBJ:

While he hasn't been linked to the CBJ there is also a ton of smoke around Gaudreau:

For those that don't know French (like me) he says according the trade board translation that the "Flames are actively shopping him and will accept any decent trade before Oct 9."

While I think Gaudreau is the better fit in terms of line driving/playmaking the fact he only has 2 years left before UFA (ala Panarin) is a big red flag against him. If you're gonna dump valuable assets into one you have to go with the guy who you think can be here long term which is why I think Jarmo is going big Fin fishing.

I'm still not convinced Jarmo can land the big Fin without Werenski but I hope he can!

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know it's yet another rumor tweet but there is a lot of smoke around Laine to the CBJ:

While he hasn't been linked to the CBJ there is also a ton of smoke around Gaudreau:

For those that don't know French (like me) he says according the trade board translation that the "Flames are actively shopping him and will accept any decent trade before Oct 9."

While I think Gaudreau is the better fit in terms of line driving/playmaking the fact he only has 2 years left before UFA (ala Panarin) is a big red flag against him. If you're gonna dump valuable assets into one you have to go with the guy who you think can be here long term which is why I think Jarmo is going big Fin fishing.

I'm still not convinced Jarmo can land the big Fin without Werenski but I hope he can!

Those sources aren't remotely comparable. The CBJ still haven't been linked to Laine by any good source that I know of, that twitter account should be 100% ignored. Renaud Lavoie on the other hand is like the French Mckenzie/Friedman. He has a lot of sources around the league. So I'd bet we're closer to Gaudreau.

I'd rather have a younger guy with more RFA years too but Gaudreau would come cheaper and be a much better lineup fit, and bring less risk of blowing up the locker room. There's also a good chance you can get him to stay long term, I wouldn't assume that everyone wants to stay or that everyone wants to go. In terms of fit, Gaudreau provides so much of what Panarin did. Gaudreau has been carrying Monahan's corpse for years, we can give him a better center in Dubois than he ever had in Calgary.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Those sources aren't remotely comparable. The CBJ still haven't been linked to Laine by any good source that I know of, that twitter account should be 100% ignored. Renaud Lavoie on the other hand is like the French Mckenzie/Friedman. He has a lot of sources around the league. So I'd bet we're closer to Gaudreau.

I'd rather have a younger guy with more RFA years too but Gaudreau would come cheaper and be a much better lineup fit, and bring less risk of blowing up the locker room. There's also a good chance you can get him to stay long term, I wouldn't assume that everyone wants to stay or that everyone wants to go. In terms of fit, Gaudreau provides so much of what Panarin did. Gaudreau has been carrying Monahan's corpse for years, we can give him a better center in Dubois than he ever had in Calgary.

Ehlers is the guy but he might not actually be obtainable and Johnny Hockey is a reasonable backup plan and a more-than-reasonable roster upgrade.

I'm going on record right now (I've basically said my opinion of the topic but) and say if Jarmo trades ZW for Laine I will not react well to the news.

Reactions: hn777 and cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Try to keep up, Major.

Sorry to offend you, I'd rather we post reputable sources is all. I'll take Lebrun over "Hockey 24/7" anonymous twitter BS account.

Listening to Lebrun now I'm not sure what "some interest on some level" means. It's an open secret that Jarmo really wanted Laine in their draft year, and obviously we could use him now. Lebrun confirms that Carolina has contacted Jets FO about Laine but doesn't report that for Columbus.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The quote from LeBrun doesn’t sound like there’s active trade talks going on, to be honest.

I still don’t believe we have assets to acquire Laine unless we trade one of the big three

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The quote from LeBrun doesn’t sound like there’s active trade talks going on, to be honest.

I still don’t believe we have assets to acquire Laine unless we trade one of the big three

If I'm the Jets and I get an offer of Texier+Gavrikov+Foudy+1st I take it and run. Columbus has the assets, it would just be a bad deal for the Jackets.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Quite frankly nobody should need TSN or some Twitter rumor to connect the dots here. How about just using your own brains!

If Jarmo, GM of the 28th ranked offense and 27th ranked PP last season, is not having active trade talks regarding Patrick Laine, a 22 year old who is the 8th leading goal scorer in the ENTIRE league the last four years, I would question his ability to GM.

Thankfully I don't question Jarmo's GM ability and fully believe he's engaged in trade talks about Laine and many other players. Doesn't mean any of them will get done but I'm certainly not going to dismiss it because Lebrun didn't spell out in big bright bold letters that Jarmo is actively engaged in trade talks for Patrick Laine.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If Jarmo, GM of the 28th ranked offense and 27th ranked PP last season, is not having active trade talks regarding Patrick Laine, a 22 year old who is the 8th leading goal scorer in the ENTIRE league the last four years, I would question his ability to GM.

Irrespective of the nature of the reporting, this is the heart of the matter. I’ve long been a “kick every tire” advocate, and certainly this is an easy enough conversation to have if the Jets are indeed fielding offers for Laine.

Reactions: Viqsi and EspenK

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
If I'm the Jets and I get an offer of Texier+Gavrikov+Foudy+1st I take it and run. Columbus has the assets, it would just be a bad deal for the Jackets.

If im in Jarmos shoes i would never do that trade Tex+Andy/Korpi/Bem+1st is max. If thats the price its horrible for the Jackets.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I’m not sure where my post went but...

I don’t think we are ideal trade partners regarding the 2C, but we could completely reshape their D and leave ours in a decent spot.

I keep thinking a package of Big Piece + Middle 6 C + Top 4-capable D would be something that could really help Winnipeg.

big piece: Anderson/Bjork/Tex/Savard
middle 6 C: Jenner/Wennberg(33% retained)
top 4-capable D: Nuti/Kukan/Murray

I think Wennberg and Jenner aren’t ideally what they are looking for, but they would at least compete with Little for icetime. Jenner can log big icetime, we know, but is not a real top 6 scoring option.

If they acquired Savard and Nuti, for example, I think both of those players would be playing in a completely transformed top 4 for Winnipeg. That is what I would be aiming for if I were them. Fix their entire D depth in one swoop, since that D group is extremely thin and lacking top end options.

The result to our defense would be a much more thin D that we are relying heavily on a more rushed development from Kukan and Peeke and Carlsson. Risky, but doable.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
One thing to keep in mind about trading a D is that Murray & Savard could walk as UFA's & Seattle could snag Kukan or Nuti. So trading one of Savard or Murray could be helpful or it could lead to a really depleted D corps.
If that gets us an elite young sniper, I am not worried, but most of these proposals will be laughed at by Jets fans, so hopefully their GM is not as demanding

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'd like to bring Laine on board. Here's what I would offer-

Vladislav Gavrikov
Alexandre Texier or Liam Foudy
Dean Kukan
3rd round pick in 2021.

Patrik Laine

I would consider this my attempt at Laine. If this isn't good enough, I'd probably just move along.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m not sure where my post went but...

I don’t think we are ideal trade partners regarding the 2C, but we could completely reshape their D and leave ours in a decent spot.

I keep thinking a package of Big Piece + Middle 6 C + Top 4-capable D would be something that could really help Winnipeg.

big piece: Anderson/Bjork/Tex/Savard
middle 6 C: Jenner/Wennberg(33% retained)
top 4-capable D: Nuti/Kukan/Murray

I think Wennberg and Jenner aren’t ideally what they are looking for, but they would at least compete with Little for icetime. Jenner can log big icetime, we know, but is not a real top 6 scoring option.

If they acquired Savard and Nuti, for example, I think both of those players would be playing in a completely transformed top 4 for Winnipeg. That is what I would be aiming for if I were them. Fix their entire D depth in one swoop, since that D group is extremely thin and lacking top end options.

The result to our defense would be a much more thin D that we are relying heavily on a more rushed development from Kukan and Peeke and Carlsson. Risky, but doable.
I think your trade package offer is plausible and would see it as Andy/Tex plus Jenner (but would love it of Wennberg) and one of the DMen you mention (I’d push Nuti or Savard). The “balance” for the Jets is they get a top 6 winger, a 2/3C and (for them) a top 3 DMan - thus 3 very useful players in exchange for one player, albeit one of their star players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad