Value of: Patrick Kane & Duncan Keith

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I'd give up anyone not named Panarin or Lafrenière for Kane but it just doesn't make any sense for the Rangers unfortunately.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Kane would be a stupid target for Buffalo since we'd still wouldn't make the playoffs.
Of course they'd be in on it with Pegs hard on for the spectacular.

Quinn, 1st 2021, 1st 2022, Laaksonen, Mittelstadt and Miller@50% (gives him trade value).
For
Kane@50% makes the cap work for the duration of the contract.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Autocorrect. I meant to say "much less made an interesting offer." The package listed would get rid of Okposo and Skinner. It would not get Patrick f***ing Kane in return.
That would easily dump Skinner and Okposo lol you obviously don’t understand how good Cozens is. Cozens=Dach imo

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Reality check needed

Chicago will not get in a trade

1 a top 3 team prospect/young player under 23
2. A recent top 10 pick who is under 23
3.1sts traded will be lottery protected

kane’s cap hit means retention needed or cap hit coming back. Nobody has the space to take his salary and is a playoff likely team.

Keith is older and he is not a top oair Dman on a playoff team. I’m not saying he sucks but reality check is needed.

In terms of return

Keith at 50% would get a playoff team 1st, a non playoff team 2nd thst coukd become a 1st + decent but not top 5 prospect + current young secondary roster player. No irliwer retention the young roster players turns into a higher cost player to balance out salary

for Kane the return could be a decent player making $4M+ + 1st, 2nd, 2 good prospects + cap dump going back or retention. The quality sending back coukd affect the other stuff.
Lmao you thought Mediocrestat, Skinner and a protected first could get Kane in previous threads:joker:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
That would easily dump Skinner and Okposo lol you obviously don’t understand how good Cozens is. Cozens=Dach imo
Okposo is a pure dump his career is toast

skinners contract is even worse than Seabrooks 9 million at 6 more years left.

15 million in cap for 3 more seasons, 9 million in cap for 3 seasons after. That amount of space being tied up for useless players is franchise crippling.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I actually posted about Ottawa being a good team to target Keith a few days ago. IF Chicago is bad, IF Ottawa is good, IF Keith wants out and is willing to come to Canada, etc.. It could be a good fit.

Why it Works for Ottawa:

1. He's a LD with a lot of experience. A LD puck mover with some grit is probably one of Ottawa's biggest holes so far this season. Mike Rielly and Wolanin aren't cutting it right now behind Chabot and Ottawa has been surprising competitive so far this season.
2. Keith is only owed 2.6M this season, 2.1M next season, and 1.6M the season after. If Ottawa were to send a LD the other way, (Wolanin/Coburn/Reilly) it would only add like 1M-1.5M in salary this season. Budget-wise he is a great fit.
3. He is 37 and signed for three years. That might limit suitors who don't want to plan that far ahead, but for Ottawa's defense corps he wouldn't really be standing on the way of too many guys this season and next season. (Lots of guys are still 1-2 years away, Brannstrom plays right side, Reilly and Wolanin aren't long term pieces, etc..) By season three it might be an issue but by then he might retire. Also, he is never injured and never misses games despite his age.
4. He wouldn't be expected to play 20+ minutes a night.
5. He has a ridiculous cap hit which will limit suiters and the price tag. Ottawa isn't in a position to be big time buyers even if they were in a playoff spot around the deadline. A cheaper player who can still be impactful in multiple ways (rather than just on-ice performance) would be a good person to target.
6. Keith might be looking around for destinations. Even if he is looking for a contender, not a lot of contenders have the cap space for him. If Ottawa is a playoff team by the deadline they might be one of the few places that can take him AND take him to the playoffs.
7. He's from Canada (Winnipeg) so he might not object to coming to Ottawa.
8. Oozes leadership and mentorship opportunities.
9. Ottawa and Chicago like to trade and do so frequently.
10. Ottawa can't give up high picks because they're still rebuilding, so they need a team that might be alright with NHL ready young players, and mid-tier picks rather than one who digs their heels in for the highest possible draft choice.

Why is might work for Chicago:

1. Draft picks are nice, but Chicago still has a decent group of young players to build around. Picks might be too far away to be a good fit in the return they should be looking for. Ottawa has a lot mid-tier prospects that might be better options. The fit of the return Ottawa can provide might trump the type of return other teams can provide.
2. His cap hit might make getting a good return difficult. Ottawa might be a good option compared to some of the garbage contenders might ask them to take back to balance salaries. Not having to retain, not having to take back long bad contracts, etc.. can also help as much as whatever return they can get.
3. The length of his contract is difficult to find a suitor. Waiting two more seasons to make him a valuable deadline rental might make him easier to trade, but he might be injured by then, he might decline, etc.. so it is risky to wait.
4. Chicago has had some Ottawa players (not disgruntled ones) over the years so I doubt Keith has gotten a bad impression from them.
5. Allowing Keith to find a better opportunity might need to happen to avoid an ugly divorce for a franchise hero. That said, is Keith going to be able to find a team willing to take on a 37 yr old with a big cap hit who needs a LD?
6. Keith has his cups so he might not be as driven to going to a cup contender as some other older guys, that might work in Ottawa's favour. Just having a spot for him in the lineup might be enough for him.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Uh, yeah, that's what I said. But there's no value left over to get something of value.
I've been watching the Sabres, and I don't see that, exactly. But I'm glad you're happy to keep him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
37.5 yr. old. 3yrs @ $5.538 NMC. Worth=mid to late 1st w/50% retention.
upload_2021-1-20_22-3-39.png

4gp, 4A, -4 8pim.

Kane worth=?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The year before that season the hawks finished 1st place in the west. You are out of your f***ing mind if you think it was at all realistic a team was gonna trade it’s Conn Smythe/3x cup winning franchise player (who’s still in his 20s) after 1 bad season. I’m sure this worked great for your nhl 18 team where you can completely ignore the business aspect of team building.
Didn't CHI get swept in '16-'17, the year you're referring to? "Finishing 1st in the WC in the regular season"...needs perspective.

Swept! They only scored TWO goals, 2 Goals in 4 games iirc.

Correct me if my memory is wrong.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Didn't CHI get swept in '16-'17, the year you're referring to? "Finishing 1st in the WC in the regular season"...needs perspective.

Swept! They only scored TWO goals, 2 Goals in 4 games iirc.

Correct me if my memory is wrong.
Your argument is that the Hawks should have dumped Kane after 2017?

Subtleskater

Dec 31, 2020
If he wanted to come to the oilers, which he wouldn't, this would be my offer as an oiler fan .

Neal, Klefbom, 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd FOR Kane @ 50%

Reactions: Pertti

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You jumped into an argument about whether or not Kane should have been traded after 2017. Maybe read what you're replying to next time.
Nope. I saw it, so I'm aware. My point is, that CHI weren't world-beaters in 2017, despite their regular season record in WC. The writing was on the wall & when they were swept by NSH iirc, that was a huge red flag. They didn't trade Kane then, but it's not crazy to think that maybe they should have, as @SotasicA posted.

When teams start to struggle 5on5 vs. when they were Cup champs (with a similar roster) is usually a good indicator too. Though most cup champs "extend" their window by living off their PP, sometimes PK too. Not saying the Hawks did, but iirc I believe they did a bit.

It's moot now, as they're in for a fairly long rebuild imo, at least 5-7 yrs.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Eh, yeah....the more I think about it, that's one of the worst contracts in hockey. It's way too damn long, even at 50%.
14 goals and 23 pts in 63 games since signing that contract, with 7x$9 mil remaining. that's 18 goal, 29 pt pace over 82 games

for reference... brent seabrook has 16 pts in his last 63 games played, a mere 7 pts behind skinner, playing defense, and being a pylon...

Reactions: jaysoneil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad