Value of: Patrick Kane & Duncan Keith

Bharzal Bhabie

Dec 27, 2017
Assuming isles can either LTIR Ladd or move Eberle.

NYI 2021 and 2022 1st, COL 2021 and 2022 2nd, Wahlstrom, Bolduc/Wilde

For

Kane @ 50% retained

Isles fill a massive hole in the top 6 and finally get an elite winger to play with Barzal. This trade depletes the isles prospect pool but they’ve had better luck drafting in later rounds with this scouting staff than they have with their first round picks. Patty Kane can finally get the isles in title consideration and be that missing piece that we’ve been looking for

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
It's pretty likely that the Hawks will not make the playoffs this season. It wasn't looking too good earlier and losing Toews and Dach was a huge blow. I really think they should trade them and start a proper rebuild. Kane has a 10,5m caphit so the major contenders would probably out of the question but i'm pretty sure there's gonna be a couple of surprise teams in the playoffs and teams like Florida, Arizona etc could deal with it.
DeBrusk, MacCovy and three first round picks.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Kane will fetch a ton, Keith not so much.

I don't see Kane playing his last elite years on a bottom feeder Blackhawks. Maybe it isn't this COVID year, but I can absolutely see him asking for a trade post COVID.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What are the Hawks’ biggest need?
Finding the next Patrick Kane and Corey Crawford. IMO they already have the next Toews in Dach.
Their forward depth is shallow and they need help there.

They're bad on D right now but they have 2 young studs in Mitchell and Boqvist (imo) and are loaded in the pipeline on D.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Nothing short of getting back a young lesser replacement star, top end prospect and a 1st in normal times, and even in these times it's Patrick Kane you're talking about. You're not getting him at a discount.

Put it this way, Erik Karlsson when he wanted out yielded Tierney (top 6/ fringe top 9 C), DeMelo (top 4 RHD), Josh Norris (top 6 C prospect), Balcers (idk him very well), 1st, 2nd and couple conditional picks. Pat Kane has to at least be in that echelon of generational talent and the yield will be similar (wouldn't it be interesting if a former Central division team e.g. Columbus or St Louis ponied up the assets to acquire a former rival).

The idea that someone is going to trade you young Kane plus 1st for old Kane is absurd. You get a bag of lesser futures back. That's just how it works. No one is trading you a cost controlled player who's on Kane's level and younger.

The Karlsson package in no way includes anything close to a #1 d-man, let alone a top 5 d-man, coming back. I'm not even sure why you brought that up. It only weakens your point.

If you don't want to move Kane fine. The owners may think differently, having to pay his salary even though the team is losing and the stadium isn't full. It also hurts your rebuild. All having him on the team for rebuild does is increase your place in the standings - without having any hope of actually wining a cup - and ruin your odds in the draft lotto. Good luck.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The idea that someone is going to trade you young Kane plus 1st for old Kane is absurd. You get a bag of lesser futures back. That's just how it works. No one is trading you a cost controlled player who's on Kane's level and younger.

The Karlsson package in no way includes anything close to a #1 d-man, let alone a top 5 d-man, coming back. I'm not even sure why you brought that up. It only weakens your point.

If you don't want to move Kane fine. The owners may think differently, having to pay his salary even though the team is losing and the stadium isn't full. It also hurts your rebuild. All having him on the team for rebuild does is increase your place in the standings - without having any hope of actually wining a cup - and ruin your odds in the draft lotto. Good luck.
Kane is older, but he's also not a rental. If he wants to leave, then whoever acquires him this year has him for 2.5 seasons.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It’s kind of difficult to estimate value but Kane retained down to the 5.25-6.5M range has to get a HAUL. That’s dirt cheap for the caliber of player he still is, three years remaining at that price, proven clutch player with tons of playoff experience. A contender could fit 5.5M into their salary structure by including a cap dump going back, so which genuine contenders would benefit the most from a better than point per game, play driving winger and playoff stud?

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
The only way Kane or Keith go anywhere is if they want to.
I truly believe that Kane and Toews(if he is healthy enough to continue his career) never want to play anywhere else. I do not believe that Kane would waive his NMC and I think he's going to want to re-sign with the Hawks for a lesser amount at the end of his deal. There is a rumor that he's eternally grateful for the Hawks sticking by him through all of his immature antics early in his career. The cabbie incident, the drunken partying, a whole bunch of other things. They stood by him when he was falsely accused of sexual assault, when public pressure was at the point that they suggested he should be traded in the aftermath, even though the allegations were proven false. At the time, because of his past behavior, There was a large segment of fans that did not believe he was innocent. Kane took off as a player afterward, even though his teammates best years were behind them.

Kane and his gf are starting a family now, and I think he truly believes Chicago is his home. The only way he goes anywhere else is if the Hawks don't want him, and that's a hard thing to do to a franchise legend like Kane, especially with the franchise history. If Rocky Wirtz wants to show that he's not like his father, he should respect Kane's wishes. #88 has earned that right. He should leave the Hawks on his terms. The Hawks have a long history of mistreating franchise legends, so it's imperative that they handle Kane differently. What's tough is the timing of this rebuild. Balancing keeping Kane around and building the next winner is going to be hard. The salary cap complicates things, but the Hawks should try their best to keep Kane around as long as he wants to be here.....I hope they don't have to make the tough decision to allow Kane to leave against his wishes.
but do you truly believe it

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kane is older, but he's also not a rental. If he wants to leave, then whoever acquires him this year has him for 2.5 seasons.

What's been the biggest return for a 32 year old?

Kane will bring a haul of futures for sure. But they will be much lesser pieces than Kane himself.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
P.Kane full salary for Jeff Skinner, Kyle Okposo, Dylan Cozens, Casey Mittelstad,, 1st 2021 and 1st 2022

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
P.Kane full salary for Jeff Skinner, Kyle Okposo, Dylan Cozens, Casey Mittelstad,, 1st 2021 and 1st 2022
How many years does Skinner have left? If it's more than a year or two longer than Kane, you have to have to retain on him and a lot. You better be giving something better than that for taking Skinner AND Okposo. is Seabrook's contract going to Buffalo as well?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah skinner has something like that.
I didn't notice that you snuck Okposo in there. You taking Seabrook bro? I don't think the Hawks could do that deal. I'm a huge Cozens fan, I realize salary has to go back but I want nothing to do with Skinner's deal unless it's like $5-6M. I think if both teams retain half it's doable.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I didn't notice that you snuck Okposo in there. You taking Seabrook bro?
The idea would to put in a all out push for a cup from a Buffalo POV they’d need the space to resign Hall. The Sabres would probably take Keith if the Black Hawks really needed to dump cap

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The idea would to put in a all out push for a cup from a Buffalo POV they’d need the space to resign Hall. The Sabres would probably take Keith if the Black Hawks really needed to dump cap
We can't take Skinner's deal because of its length without retention. Maybe if both teams retain half there's a deal to be had, the cap is an issue.

I think you're a good prospect short on the initial deal for just Kane, because Mittelstadt is an Alex Nylander like project at best.
If you want Keith to make cap work, eh.....that deal is light.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad