Speculation: Patrick Kane and Seth Jones future with Hawks

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Oh man i wasted all this time on capfriendly before seeing it be shot down.

Anyway just for fantasy land's sake (not that something like this would happen in the NHL anyway sadly):

:stars

- Patrick Kane at 50% (5.2M AAV)
- Seth Jones (9.4M)

:hawks

- Ryan Suter (3.6M for 3y)
- Radek Faksa (3.2M for 3y)
- Anton Khudobin (3.3M for 1y)
- Denis Gurianov (2.9M for 1y)
- Colin Miller (1.8M for 2y)

Cap works that way, and then we rob everything to make all this shit money worth it.

- 2023 1st
- 2024 1st
- Logan Stankoven
- Mavrik Bourque
- Wyat Johnston
- George Fegaras (or Harley/Bichel if the value is still lacking)

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Is it worth speculating what someone's agenda might be for making up that rumor (if false), or leaking that to the media (if true)?

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Being first >>> being correct.
I get the media is going to spew out whatever they hear, but they are hearing it from someone. The media are likely just puppets.

I guess to answer my own question: no, it probably isn't.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Kane and Toews agree to waive for trades, getting Hawks some more assets for the future...both go to teams competing for Cups...both resigned in the summer returning to Hawks for 2023-24 season and beyond

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Is it worth speculating what someone's agenda might be for making up that rumor (if false), or leaking that to the media (if true)?

I read in another thread (somewhere) that Pagnotta is close to Brisson so if his info is correct - it could be from Kane's agent. If that's true, then it would seem Brisson may be testing the water for his client totally apart from anything official with the Hawks - in other words both reports could be true - Dallas is interested in exploring a trade AND the Hawks are not involved in any trade talks for Kane (yet?).

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Kane and Toews agree to waive for trades, getting Hawks some more assets for the future...both go to teams competing for Cups...both resigned in the summer returning to Hawks for 2023-24 season and beyond
In order to get better you have to suck for a bit. Having players of that quality goes against the bigger picture. Basically what was hurting Montreal with Price keeping them good enough to just miss the playoffs.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I’m watching NHL network and Dave Pagnotta said trade talks with Kane are heating up. I’m not sure when it actually aired but I’d imagine it was last night or the night before since they were covering the Kessel signing.

I highly doubt anything happens though because the mentioned teams were the usual suspects in the Rangers, Oilers, and Avs.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
DeBrincat will cost Ottawa $9-10 million per

Korchinski will cost the Hawks under $1 million, plus Ludwinski and a yet drafted top 100 player in 2024

Dach will imbarassingly cost Montreal $3-4 million per

Nazar and Hayes...hah

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
I’m watching NHL network and Dave Pagnotta said trade talks with Kane are heating up. I’m not sure when it actually aired but I’d imagine it was last night or the night before since they were covering the Kessel signing.

I highly doubt anything happens though because the mentioned teams were the usual suspects in the Rangers, Oilers, and Avs.
I'd be surprised if he wasn't a TDL move.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Even If Jones is slightly overpaid crazy to trade Seth unless you are getting 2 / 1st rd picks plus a good prospect.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
This is probably common knowledge but Kane perfers to wait until the TDL to be moved or waive his NMC, no surprise there.

Screenshot_20220828-175449_Chrome.jpg

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Even If Jones is slightly overpaid crazy to trade Seth unless you are getting 2 / 1st rd picks plus a good prospect.

Talk of trading him now is nonsense - teams already have rosters and salary cap reconstructed and ready for the upcoming season, for the most part. It's not as if adding a $9.5M contract can be done willy nilly at this point in the offseason.

I think there's a much better chance to trade him between the Cup ending and free agency starting - either in 2023 or in a future year. It's not like Jones is a bad player - quite the contrary, he's a very good d-man and could be the anchor for most d-corps in the league. The fact he's a righty is frosting on the cake. I could see a team trading with the Hawks to acquire Jones but it would need to be at a time when the team can move the pieces around to make it all happen.

I'm not sure the Hawks will get back (2) 1st round picks and a good prospect - not unless the other team's new GM was one Stanley Bowman.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Talk of trading him now is nonsense - teams already have rosters and salary cap reconstructed and ready for the upcoming season, for the most part. It's not as if adding a $9.5M contract can be done willy nilly at this point in the offseason.

I think there's a much better chance to trade him between the Cup ending and free agency starting - either in 2023 or in a future year. It's not like Jones is a bad player - quite the contrary, he's a very good d-man and could be the anchor for most d-corps in the league. The fact he's a righty is frosting on the cake. I could see a team trading with the Hawks to acquire Jones but it would need to be at a time when the team can move the pieces around to make it all happen.

I'm not sure the Hawks will get back (2) 1st round picks and a good prospect - not unless the other team's new GM was one Stanley Bowman.
The contract will look reasonable in 3 years. Adam has all the talent in the world but he is so soft and the first rounders were reasonable but the timing was all wrong when you are or should be undertaking a rebuild. The fact he was a soon to be UFA doesn't help soften the blow either. Murphy/ and or McCabe should be moved during the season or at the deadline to create some space for some young D.

St Anley

Oct 25, 2018
NHL network did their top 20 defencemen. I don't think Seth Jones was on that list. Not good.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The contract will look reasonable in 3 years. Adam has all the talent in the world but he is so soft and the first rounders were reasonable but the timing was all wrong when you are or should be undertaking a rebuild. The fact he was a soon to be UFA doesn't help soften the blow either. Murphy/ and or McCabe should be moved during the season or at the deadline to create some space for some young D.

Yep - timing was all wrong. If the Hawks were in "win now" mode the Jones acquisition would have taken on whole other perspective and the price paid would not have been egregious. But that wasn't the case - by a long shot and several years past due - so the prospect of replacing Jones and Allan with Boqvist, Sillinger, and Jiricek AND not having an 8 year $9.5M commitment on the books makes the trade decision look horrendous. Timing and circumstances matter.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He's definitely top 20. That list has Pietrangelo ahead of him which is ridiculous.

Not a top 15 D-man tho.
If you plopped Seth Jones right at #15 and bumped everyone from 15-20 down a spot, that would be correct for me.

Also, Seider and Hughes are way too damn high for me. That is supposed to be a "right now" list and neither are there yet. 3 years from now, sure. Hughes has a lot of cleaning up to do in his own end.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: