Speculation: Patrick Kane and Seth Jones future with Hawks

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
If you were Kane would you want to stay? He does have 1 year left on his contract. He said before he wanted to stay but with Cat and Dach gone, could he have changed his mind?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Whatever Kane and Toews wanna do, I'll be in full support for. If they wanna stay and finish out their contract (or get traded at the deadline), fine. If they wanna leave, fine. They've earned that. Kane obviously has by far the most value out of those 3 so his decision is the most critical for this franchise.

I can careless what Seth wants but it would be nice if he says get me out of here.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
I think our idiot GM knew that destroying the team for pennies on the dollar would induce Kane and Toews to ask for a trade. Seth Jones 100% needs to be traded. I may think our GM is an idiot with how poorly he did on these drafts and trades but Seth Jones has zero reason to be on this team.

If nothing else the idiot GM can threaten Kane and Toews with not even offering them a contract after this upcoming season to force them to waive their no trade clause. The team is now moribund so the Hawks can gladly retain as much as their salary as possible to get the maximum return for at least Kane and Toews.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Nope.

I think this is part of the plan. Try to chase out the vets.
He's talked about looking at the Miktia records and seeing that he could break them before. He has reasons for that.

But all this, nonsense of how it should be done to convince them to leave. Hockey players are well known to typically not liking to go elsewhere a lot, they don't like to move their stuff. Kane should be aware he will not be welcomed. He's not a liked person for some valid and invalid situations of his past. He has a kid and GF here. To just think it is easy to get these guys to move is weird to me.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I know I threw up this same type deal in the roster construction or another Kane thread but how about this "Getting the band back together" with bread deal?

Chicago out: Kane w/ 2.5M retained

NYR out: 2024 1st w/ no protection
Brennen Othmann

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I know I threw up this same type deal in the roster construction or another Kane thread but how about this "Getting the band back together" with bread deal?

Chicago out: Kane w/ 2.5M retained

NYR out: 2024 1st w/ no protection
Brennen Othmann
retain more than 2.5 and get a better return.

No point in tying up a retention spot for that little

Reactions: jaysoneil

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If the Sabres weren't such a shit team then I could see Kaner wanting to go there. But honestly he seems like the type that wants to end his career here and be motivated to take this next group to the top. Kane is going to do Kane things wherever he plays but becoming an all time franchise leader like he could here has to be on his mind. He has 3 Cups already so as competitive he is with wanting to win there are other motivating factors for him to stay.

He is my fav player all time and IMO greatest Hawks player as well so I am wishing he stays to finish his HOF career here.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain

Yeah maybe go to 5M & get their 2nd ranked prospect and another pick down the road? They have no draft capital in 2023 due to a lot of trades. They are in win now and Kaner might be the missing piece to take them to the SC finals.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Why would they want to stay to lead out an AHL team to slaughter every night? Time to go and happy trails. Kaner can go win a couple more cups and come home to see his jersey go to the rafters when he is done (and maybe we'll have turned the corner at that point). Jones can enjoy the money Stunley gifted him in the grand finale of running a 3 time cup dynasty into the ground and get lost (and take his AHL level brother with him).

Maybe we can recoup most of the stupidity of the Jones deal between moving both Kane & Jones. We can retain on Kane pretty painlessly as he is only owed 6.9 (4 In a bonus just paid) verses 10.5 in cap and he was a 100 point pace player last year that virtually every team would find a way to fit into their lineup at a cap of 5.25 and give decent assets to do it. Jones is more of a challange in that he is over paid by a millionish. Think most any team would like him on their team at 8-8.5 per and probably pay assets (Not what Stunley just did....but something decent). Trick with him is probably finding someone on a badish contract with term of 2-3 years (enough time for whatever team trades for him to sort out their cap, have inflation drive the cap up (so 9.5 isn't as bad relatively) and contracts expiring to absorb his full cap hit) down the road. I'm not talking a complete albatros big ticket contract, but something along the lines of Tyler Johnson (pre last years debacle with injury) where you look at tha cap of 5 and say....nahh, but if it were 3.5-4 I wouldn't mind the player. Find someone still decent at hockey over paid by a million or so and match that up with moving Jones might be the escape hatch on that abortion Stunley left in the punchbowl on his way out the door. Obvious any good team will need you to take another contract....but I would prefer that to be an actual decent contract.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Kane should be a career Blackhawk but he still in his prime why waste it here when he can still cash in on a big new contract somewhere else and compete?

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
If you were to ask me 10 years ago who I thought would be more likely to request out in a situation like this (between Kane and Toews), I would have said Kane with no hesitation.

But today? Kane has completely turned his career and image around, despite all the on-ice doubt early in his career and all the off-ice bullshit throughout. Toews looked to be the more mature, loyal and dedicated player to the Hawks organization, but it's clearly Kane. He has far surpassed all of my expectations, on and off the ice. He's still at the top of his game and IMO, brings more "intangibles" than Toews. This is Kane's team and my gut is telling me he's not quitting, regardless what the situation of Chicago is. I'm a believer that Kane enjoys playing with younger talent.

But, if he wants to go throw sauce back and forth with Breadman in NY, I'm totally down for that too. He's been a treat to watch through the years.

Toews can go.
Jones must go.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
If Kane wants to do the Hawks a solid he should give the Hawks a list of potential destinations including the Avalanche and see if he can induce a bidding war. Another Stanley Cup championship would differentiate him from the other core players because he did something that they did not. He's not an all-time greatest like TB, but it would be interesting if he could be a champion on another team.

I wonder when Sakic came sniffing around whether he offered Byram when Byram was struggling with concussion issues.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I don't think Kane or Toews want anything to do with a 20 win season(s). Nor should they. Jones as well. All 3 didn't sign up for this.

We should know fairly soon where they will be willing to move their NMC to go.

Reactions: Muffinalt

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011

This....the bandaide was ripped completely off yesterday and there is no reason not to go all in. Again Kane has a 4 million bonus that has or will be paid shortly and is only owed another 2.9 after for a total of 6.9 in real dollars verses the cap hit of 10.5. There is ZERO reason that the Hawks who will not be spending anywhere near the cap (especially with Keith's recapture now in the mix) should not eat half that cap (they have already paid more then half the actual salary with the bonus). Honestly, they should leverage the value of Kane by involving a third team if someone needs help with more cap and will pay up for him. At 5.25, I would imagine there are easily a dozen teams that Kane would consider (realistic roster to contend for a Cup) all of which would figure out a way to make him fit. Obviously someone that has cap space beyond this season and would contemplate an extention improves the potential return.

Florida paid a first and Owen Tippitt (former top 10 pick who granted had underperfromed his draft position at that point) for 18 regular season games and playoffs of Girioux. Kane is the better player and you would have him for the full season if you trade for him this Summer. The first is going to be late by virtue of Kane is going to want to go to a contender as the most basic requirement to waive his NMC, but the prospect should be more of an A/A+ then the B/B+ that Tippett was when that Girioux deal was made. But then what the hell do I know as the Cat trade is missing at least 1 premium piece compared to what I though he would return.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Once Kane's bonus gets paid ...look out folks teams will be salivating to land this dude for under $3 mil in actual money...$10.5 cap hit is there obviously but his value for just one year is immense. I still hope he stays but if he is to be traded even this GM can't f*** this return up...

Reactions: Muffinalt

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Kane is gone, Jones is going to learn about what its been like to have been Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Reactions: scorehawks

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Would Dallas be an option for Kane? Playoff team last year who has a solid defense and goalie already, but dying for offense. Kane and Robertson on the wing would be a really fun line regardless of who was in the middle.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I'm curious if this board will expect a kings ransom of picks/prospects for Kane, much like it did for DeBrincat. When that does not happen, watch the majority then try to rationalize the lack of return.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: giza and Pertti

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm curious if this board will expect a kings ransom of picks/prospects for Kane, much like it did for DeBrincat. When that does not happen, watch the majority then try to rationalize the lack of return.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
After Cat's return, I have zero expectations for Kane's return lol

But I do think we desperately need to get a 2023 1st out of him

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's like Davidson is doing it backwards lol. Guys that are not top line players (Hagel, Dach) he got quite a bit for. The guy who is a star player (DeBrincat) he got less.

So by this logic, it means he'll get more for Toews than he will for Kane. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad