Speculation: Patrick Kane and Seth Jones future with Hawks

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
They probably could have just banned him after some of his posts in the beach thread. Coulda saved us all...
Let's be honest, nobody here (including moderation) could even decipher any of his posts in those threads.

Probably a good thing.

ctheham

Feb 16, 2022
According to NHL stats: Seth Jones > Patrick Kane

:popcorn:

stats.JPG

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If Kane does want to move, could the islanders be the best spot from a cap dump perspective?

Hawks are going to need players to hit the cap floor next year without the Toews and Kane contracts. The Islanders have multiple guys signed to multi year deals in the 5-6 million range, and who are seemingly not big contributors to that team.

JG Pageau
Kyle Palmieri
Maybe Josh Bailey

If the Hawks are willing to take any of those guys as a cap dump in return, it could increase the price the Islanders are willing to pay for Kane at 50%.

Seems like a win-win for both sides. Islanders improve while clearing long term cap, Hawks add extra draft capital while getting help hitting next year’s cap floor.

Reactions: Naster Okan

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Kane does not look very impressive so far this year. I’m starting to think the return on a Kane trade could be underwhelming.

On the other hand, Toews could get more in a trade then what I was thinking. He has been surprisingly productive.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Kane does want to move, could the islanders be the best spot from a cap dump perspective?

Hawks are going to need players to hit the cap floor next year without the Toews and Kane contracts. The Islanders have multiple guys signed to multi year deals in the 5-6 million range, and who are seemingly not big contributors to that team.

JG Pageau
Kyle Palmieri
Maybe Josh Bailey

If the Hawks are willing to take any of those guys as a cap dump in return, it could increase the price the Islanders are willing to pay for Kane at 50%.

Seems like a win-win for both sides. Islanders improve while clearing long term cap, Hawks add extra draft capital while getting help hitting next year’s cap floor.
Pageau and Palmieri both have 16 team no trade lists. I doubt Chicago is on them, but still something to keep in mind.

I'd gladly take any of those 3 to make the cap work. Any of them can be flipped later for more assets. Though Pageau in particular would thrive in Richardson's system. I could lowkey see him having a career year in Chicago and upping his value.

As for assets, the 2023 1st is a given. William Dufour is the target imo. He's a true KD/LuRich type player.

To Chicago:
:hawks
-2023 1st round pick
-JG Pageau
-William Dufour

To Long Island:
:isles
-Patrick Kane (@50% retention)

That'd be pretty ideal if you ask me. Maybe throw in another pick that is conditional on winning the Cup or making it to the finals.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Kane does not look very impressive so far this year. I’m starting to think the return on a Kane trade could be underwhelming.

On the other hand, Toews could get more in a trade then what I was thinking. He has been surprisingly productive.
I'm not concerned with Kane's perceived value. I don't think any GM in the league would look at the start of this season and be worried about Patty. They know who he is. They've seen him sauce pucks through their defense. It's Patrick Kane. The guy. Return will exceed Giroux last year.

I am hornily hoping for a 2023 1st from NYR (either DAL or NYRs, whichever is later) and then Laf or Kakko and a cap dump, in exchange for Kaner. Long shot? Of course.

The reason I am hoping we can get one of them is that I think NYR knows they don't have room for Laf/Kakko past next season. Laf is already due a raise this offseason. Also, they've committed so heavily to Panarin, Kreider, Zibby, and Trochek. Laf/Kak may want a larger role than what they've been getting under Gallant. Free one of these souls and release them to Chicago! Kane could even take a friendly deal and stay in NY...

• Love
Reactions: Pez68

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I'm not concerned with Kane's perceived value. I don't think any GM in the league would look at the start of this season and be worried about Patty. They know who he is. They've seen him sauce pucks through their defense. It's Patrick Kane. The guy. Return will exceed Giroux last year.

I am hornily hoping for a 2023 1st from NYR (either DAL or NYRs, whichever is later) and then Laf or Kakko and a cap dump, in exchange for Kaner. Long shot? Of course.

The reason I am hoping we can get one of them is that I think NYR knows they don't have room for Laf/Kakko past next season. Laf is already due a raise this offseason. Also, they've committed so heavily to Panarin, Kreider, Zibby, and Trochek. Laf/Kak may want a larger role than what they've been getting under Gallant. Free one of these souls and release them to Chicago! Kane could even take a friendly deal and stay in NY...
They won’t give up Kakko or Laf. The guy you target is Othmann

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
They won’t give up Kakko or Laf. The guy you target is Othmann
Othmann is why I think they may give up Kakko or Laf. They have a three year window of ELC for Othmann to bring what one of those guys brought. Laf/Kak are going to want $$$ that NYR may not have.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Othmann is why I think they may give up Kakko or Laf. They have a three year window of ELC for Othmann to bring what one of those guys brought. Laf/Kak are going to want $$$ that NYR may not have.
The way they’re playing right now, neither of them deserve big raises.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

He's a notorious slow starter.

Reactions: Pez68

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Kak has 61 points in 168 games, and this season 3 in 11. I’d take him as a sweetener but not as a primary piece.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Kak has 61 points in 168 games, and this season 3 in 11. I’d take him as a sweetener but not as a primary piece.
Even more reason the Rangers would do it. I feel like Kakko could still break out with a bigger role, PP time, etc.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Even more reason the Rangers would do it. I feel like Kakko could still break out with a bigger role, PP time, etc.
You obviously subscribe to the Stan Bowman trade philosophy. Trade for other teams failing prospects because you're certain you can somehow turn them around.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
He's a notorious slow starter.
Who Kane?

First dozen games of each season

2021 - 17 points
2020- 15 points
2019- 10 points
2018- 18 points
2017- 12 points
2016- 15 points
2015- 16 points
2014- 8 points
2013- 11 points
2012-18 points
2011- 12 points
2010- 11 points
2009- 10 points
2008- 15 points
2007- 16 points

1.13ppg first 12
1.06ppg career

Toews on the other hand is for sure a slow starter.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Who Kane?

First dozen games of each season

2021 - 17 points
2020- 15 points
2019- 10 points
2018- 18 points
2017- 12 points
2016- 15 points
2015- 16 points
2014- 8 points
2013- 11 points
2012-18 points
2011- 12 points
2010- 11 points
2009- 10 points
2008- 15 points
2007- 16 points

1.13ppg first 12
1.06ppg career

Toews on the other hand is for sure a slow starter.

Eh, fair enough. But from my memory, he always starts relatively slowly, then ramps it up once they start getting into the season more. Even looking at your data above, he's got just as many seasons under 15 points in his first 12, as over. He has like 5 seasons where he has over 15, 3 seasons with exactly 15, and 7 seasons under 15 points in his first 12. He doesn't exactly light the world on fire in the beginning of every season. Hence why I said he starts relatively slowly. His best production seems to come mid-season and down the stretch towards the playoffs. Don't feel like going to find all the numbers right now, though. Just going off memory.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Eh, fair enough. But from my memory, he always starts relatively slowly, then ramps it up once they start getting into the season more. Even looking at your data above, he's got just as many seasons under 15 points in his first 12, as over. He has like 5 seasons where he has over 15, 3 seasons with exactly 15, and 7 seasons under 15 points in his first 12. He doesn't exactly light the world on fire in the beginning of every season. Hence why I said he starts relatively slowly. His best production seems to come mid-season and down the stretch towards the playoffs. Don't feel like going to find all the numbers right now, though. Just going off memory.
15 in 12 is a 103 point pace. What's setting the world on fire?

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
15 in 12 is a 103 point pace. What's setting the world on fire?

Wasn't arguing that 15 in 12 is a low number. I was just saying that he seems to have just as many seasons with lower point totals early on, as he does higher point totals. I was just using 15 as the middle ground based on his year-to-year points over his first dozen games.

I 100% could be wrong, but I've always thought he had kind of a reputation as being a slower starter, before he really starts to go off. Doesn't matter, though. Either way, my main point with that slow starter comment was that Kane is probably the last person to worry about on this team. He's got 10 in 10 right now, and someone was complaining about his production. He'll be fine.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Wasn't arguing that 15 in 12 is a low number. I was just saying that he seems to have just as many seasons with lower point totals early on, as he does higher point totals. I was just using 15 as the middle ground based on his year-to-year points over his first dozen games.

I 100% could be wrong, but I've always thought he had kind of a reputation as being a slower starter, before he really starts to go off.
I'd argue that if your middle ground is a 103 point pace calling him a notoriously slow starter is wrong.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'd argue that if your middle ground is a 103 point pace calling him a notoriously slow starter is wrong.
I admitted as much, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00