Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Hope he wins the Selke! That said, wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. I wouldn't be mad if Coutourier won it though. I like the kid.

Hell of it is, if Bergy wins it, you know the other 29 fanbases are going to be complaining about bias for weeks to come....

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I'm not mad. Feel bad for Coutourier maybe, but not mad for Bergy.

Heck he beat Datsyuk for the Selke his first time winning, and I think games played was largely a reason for that. If Bergy had been healthier this year I think he would've broken the record.

But he'll do that this next year.

Reactions: Chief Nine and JCRO

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Several hosts on Sirius XM, up until the injury had him both as Selke favorite and top3 in Hart. Maybe that means something, maybe it doesn’t. But I think we’ll continue to see more good things from Bergy.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
30be458b-93bb-4327-88cc-9126a2e80b42.jpg
IMG_20180319_114139-540x671.jpg
FST2017.jpg

Reactions: Dr Hook

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
he may have been crazy overpaid, but in retrospect Marty LaPointe earned his money by housing and mentoring an 18 yr old Bergeron

also, let us never forget the early 2000s cringe fest that is the Bergeron/Raycroft commercial...

That commercial is gold

When Bergy signed his previous contract in 2011, he thanked 2 guys, Marty Lapointe and Glen Murray.

I see bits of each of them in Bergy’s game.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I actually cringe at most of Bergy's commercials lol. The worst was the NHL15 poem. I need brain bleach for that one. :help:

Although I was amused by his World Cup commercial with that t-shirt (gold Gold GOLD) and the Visa one where he was sitting at his locker polishing the Selke. :laugh:

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From KPD. Interesting comments from Bergy about how much longer he might play, and concussion issues. Glad to hear him say he treats concussions different than a broken foot (although I would not have expected him to say otherwise).

How Nick Boynton’s words affected Patrice Bergeron - The Boston Globe

Patrice Bergeron is about to turn 33, is of good health and sound mind, and figures he will finish out the four years remaining on his eight-year, $55 million contract that he signed in July 2013.
The Bruins center even hinted this past week in Las Vegas, where he was part of the NHL Awards ceremony, that he could play later into his 30s.
“I think I do have the intention of finishing the contract,” he said, “and who knows, I could keep going forward. That being said, yeah, you do think about the future, and what unfolds ahead of it . . . I am feeling good . . . but you obviously don’t want to stretch it and . . . and . . . wish that you didn’t.”

“I mean, it’s one of those things where you . . . you know, I am trying to be up front and smart about it,” said Bergeron, asked if the memory of 2007 lingers and influences how he plays today. “I’ve got that incident or all the times I’ve had trauma or injuries, like concussion, I’ve tried to take as much time as possible — I treat it differently than a broken foot or anything else. I know that it’s really important for your health and your future to be smart. That being said, when I step on the ice, I’m . . . yeah, you protect yourself at all times, but when you step on the ice you try to use your instincts and not think.”

Reactions: Alicat and 00BW

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think its ridiculous he didn't win it this year. Kopitar isn't even close to him defensively.

This is like when the NHL gave every other D man in the league a Norris instead of Bourque out of pity when none were even close to him...Brian f***ing Leetch getting it over Ray? Absurd.

Bergeron was robbed.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think its ridiculous he didn't win it this year. Kopitar isn't even close to him defensively.

This is like when the NHL gave every other D man in the league a Norris instead of Bourque out of pity when none were even close to him...Brian ****ing Leetch getting it over Ray? Absurd.

Bergeron was robbed.
I can understand the missed games argument. He's far and away the best defensive player in the league when playing, but if you're not playing you're not playing. Couturier got robbed this year as well.

His 2 losses to Toews and Kopitar before this were brutal though.

Reactions: Alicat

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Mentioned it before; missed games is teh reason Bergy got his first one over Datsyuk. Up until that point good ol' Pavel had won what, three? It looked like the Selke was his to own until he started missing games due to injury.

It sucks, but less time on ice = less defensive shifts, PK duties, etc. It is what it is. I won't pretend I understand the lovefest the media has for Kopitar, but I get why he could get it over Bergy this year.

But not Coutourier. Unless the league just didn't feel like giving it to a Philly player, which....I mean, even if I put my own personal bias against the city of philladelphia aside, I still kinda get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad