Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Another clip for the next @Trap Jesus / @dafoomie collaboration tonight: 2nd period (I think), battle in the corner to Tuuks right, Bruins D and Leaf F are tied up and fighting for the puck. Bergy is cruising around between the slot and dot on that side. then cuts towards the boards behind the net. Not to join the battle, and not to mark a Leaf, just sort of on his own. Then, as soon as he gets there the puck pops out of the scrum right to him.

Didn't see a replay and haven't re-watched the game, so maybe the D man won the battle and made a pass, but i sure remember it as a "what is Patrice doi...nevermind" moment

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Involved in 5 of the 7 goals scored by the Bruins in the last 4 games, scoring 3 of them. In the ones he wasn't involved in, he won the draw and got the "3rd assist" on one of them and was playing the bumper position on the goal that Pasta waited to bat the puck into the net on the other one. I mean, I guess it's not completely surprising considering that the Bruins only scored on special teams after their first goal in Game 2, but it's tough to find a clearer example of one player pushing through with the rest of the team disintegrating around him.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Are you kidding me!!!!!!

Bergy played the entire year with a groin injury that may require surgery

I’m convinced he’s playing till 40 at a high level and too line center 3-5 more years

Great pick Scott Bradley
we are so incredibly fortunate to get to follow this guy's career and have him on our team. I know it's not realistic to expect him to play forever, but the dude would have had 80+ points if not for the broken foot. Somehow he just keeps getting better. I can see him going the distance like Recchi.

Reactions: Chief Nine

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
we are so incredibly fortunate to get to follow this guy's career and have him on our team. I know it's not realistic to expect him to play forever, but the dude would have had 80+ points if not for the broken foot. Somehow he just keeps getting better. I can see him going the distance like Recchi.
I think he plays with his kid some day.

I can see Bergeron taking a run at mid 40’s

I just hope the refs show him respect and stop tossing him out of the dot when he gets to be 40

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Not sure if it was posted anywhere. But was there still no explanation on getting tossed from the faceoff an absurd amount of times this playoffs? It’s kind of weird if he’s asking for an explanation and them not giving him one.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not sure if it was posted anywhere. But was there still no explanation on getting tossed from the faceoff an absurd amount of times this playoffs? It’s kind of weird if he’s asking for an explanation and them not giving him one.
Babcock. He complained. Toronto called down to ice level. Make it so.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I ended up on a Google rabbit trail and found this profile on Bergeron, posted right before he was drafted.

QMJHL: Profile of Patrice Bergeron - Hockey's Future

It's fun to read things like this with 15 years of hindsight :laugh:

Though his relatively poor performance late in the past season’s
playoffs may have
only been a minor hiccup in his play and not the norm, one has to
wonder whether
Bergeron is a big-game player or not
. While it may be too early to
tell either way,
and he still has several years of junior hockey left to prove himself,
his offensive
and face-off success nosedive in the final two games of the
Halifax-Bathurst series
undoubtedly had a negative effect on the potential for success for the
Titan.
Winning only ten draws in 38 attempts, coupled with just a single point
(and a -2 rating in game seven alone) in two must-win games does leave
questions open
in regards to his finishing drive
, especially given his previous
successes and
offensive production in the earlier games. Of course, it is possible
that he just
had a couple of off nights, and that this is nothing to be worried
about in the
least.
Read more at QMJHL: Profile of Patrice Bergeron - Hockey's Future

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
What has been interesting to me the past two rounds is how numerous times players have made the drawing motion pre-drop and not been tossed. We are not talking some little thing the ref perceived before a motion toward the puck was made. We are talking all out going for it while the puck is still in hand. They were tossing Bergy if he even breathed the wrong way at points. I was rewinding and playing back many of the instances in which Bergy got tossed and I'm not kidding when I say he was getting tossed for literally doing nothing some of the times. It's just plain odd how the standard completely changed after the Toronto series, and how the standard was different for different teams in the first around. There are still some instances of players being tossed, but overall the standard for the semis and so far the finals is night and day different from the Bos/Tor series. The sheer lack of consistency with NHL reffing is seriously circus level bad.

Reactions: Budddy

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The games played kills his chances. Not that it coincides with my opinion, but I am even a little bit surprised the voters had him in the top 3 considering all the games he missed. If he didn't get it over Kopitar in 15/16, I would be absolutely floored if he got it this year.

Couturier deserves it over Kopitar without even taking Bergeron into consideration IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad