Confirmed with Link: Pat Maroon for Luke Toporowski and a Conditional 6th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm not a fan of this either

It took me quite awhile to get on board with numb nuts (Hathaway) from Washington last year, and now this move ...yuck

I agree. Hathaway at least provided tangible 4th line hockey skills as much as I detested him.

Maroon is strictly going to be a staged goon with some "playoff late hitting" on the forecheck if he catches up to the defender. Something I suppose but after watching Brazeau he does that and more with the puck. Time will tell.

Personally I hope he does not play a game in Round 1 if it's Toronto. Save the conditional draft pick. Should the Bruins play NYR with Rempe or Florida with Tkachuk then he can play.

Anyone who has a brain is a spot picker. The role of someone like Maroon is to be an intimidator that throws off the other team's game and rally the troops to play hard when the chips are down. Part of that role is knowing when to throw a hit and on who. Otherwise, you're talking about someone whose as brain dead as Raffi Torres who just takes dumb penalties and cost your team momentum. On top of that, this finally allows Marchand and Frederic to get away from being in that role which, as far as I'm concerned, is a blessing in disguise. Far too often Marchand has had to go back and be an intimidator and lose games because of past reputation due to a lack of guys who can do that job, which isn't what Marchand should be doing at this point in his career. And while Frederic can hit, he's more of a power forward than an intimidator that goes out there to stir shit with another team's top guy, at least from what I've seen. Maroon can now be the lightning rod and those two can finally play the roles they're meant to play.

I just find it odd that people, not you as you've been consistent, are upset with Maroon joining the team due to past misgivings when we all would've been hailing him in the same breath as Shawn Thornton had he been here.

Maroon intimidates no one. At least Reaves can intimidate other fighters.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
For all the people still bitter because of 2019 onward with regards to Maroon, I say the following: if he played the way he did in black and gold during that same time period, everyone would be singing his praises and he would be a cult hero and those who try and deny it are lying to themselves. Guy's a tough SOB and the Bruins need someone like that on this team, and the fact that they were able to get him for a conditional pick and a mid tier prospect is a bargain as far as I'm concerned. This team needed some sandpaper grit and now they finally have it again. Pat Maroon will be a tone setter for this team come playoff time when some scumbag like Matt Tkachuk tries to blindside one of the players in black and gold.

I have been calling out Maroon as a fake tough passenger since his Edmonton days. He was irrelevant by 2019 as well as a player.

Sheppy here can confirm most likely. It isn't a new opinion for me.

Fans rely on reputation. Some think Tom Wilson is a feared, tough player. He is not - a hitting machine who will headshot but hardly impressive as a fighter. Still has a reputation as a top fighter some how.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I have been calling out Maroon as a fake tough passenger since his Edmonton days. He was irrelevant by 2019 as well as a player.

Sheppy here can confirm most likely. It isn't a new opinion for me.

Fans rely on reputation. Some think Tom Wilson is a feared, tough player. He is not - a hitting machine who will headshot but hardly impressive as a fighter. Still has a reputation as a top fighter some how.

To each his own. All I ask for is consistency. Something that fans, myself included, aren't always willing to show. I think Maroon is a pretty tough SOB that can do the dirty work the Bruins need, but hey opinions are elbows. Everyone's got one. It didn't work out with Garnet Hathaway, a guy who I thought was going to be a raging bull that bashed guys into the boards, but I was sorely mistaken. I sincerely hope that it works out with Patty Maroon.

Also, I respectfully disagree with you about Tom Wilson. If he isn't an impressive force of nature, then there are no more power forwards in hockey anymore. He doesn't fight often because guys are afraid of getting swung at when they fight him. Only guy I ever saw manhandle Wilson was Chara and he wasn't a guy that dropped the gloves often for the same reason.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Some of us couldn't cheer for Chris Nilan or Steve Begin, either.
Nilan was the one guy in my lifetime I had a problem

Bob Beers on right now saying he likes

Maroon- Boqvist - Brazeau

Boqvist has speed and D awareness to fit well

I think Brazeau was playing center in Providence as well at times

Not just big wingers but they go to net which makes defenders work

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

Two guys that can not skate great might create a real liability no?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
~51 goals in ~151 playoff games is pretty impressive output, for a JAG 4th liner. You never know where clutch comes from. Some guys just rise to the occasion.

Edit: I misspoke, he scored 51pts, not goals.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
How effective will he be after a back surgery? Anything out there about his back and surgery?

According to Dylan Loucks, a beat writer and head of news for the Wild at The Hockey News, Maroon's already back on his skates and practicing as recent as two days ago. The timeline that the Wild set for Maroon was four to six weeks. He's now in week four of that timeline.

Reactions: TCB and Blowfish

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Winger down there.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
I've always felt 4th line should have an NHL veteran presence. I'm not comfortable with a 4th line of just kids with minimal playing experience, especially in the playoffs. I'm happy with this trade and he should fit right in. He is taking the role Lucic should have had.

Reactions: EvilDead and CDJ

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
~51 goals in ~151 playoff games is pretty impressive output, for a JAG 4th liner. You never know where clutch comes from. Some guys just rise to the occasion.

23 career playoff goals. Respectable but many came early in the career. 7 over his last 4 playoff runs (67 games I believe).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mad-Marcus

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
this is excellent. necessary move. although him and brazeau on the same line is probably not a good plan. would have to be
lauko opposite him.

I'm not crazy about Lauko. He sits, he comes in, he brings energy, then subsides. Rinse and repeat. I don't know what the answer is but I don't know if he's part of it.

I get that Maroon and Brazeau on the same line probably isn't a bright idea, but it would be fun to see for a bit.

Wotherspoon! The guy get is ass kicked by the heavy weight fighter Bertuzzi!

I like him but he lost for sure.

This. If the Bruins had had more spine Maroon would not have been able to do that. Or at least he would have paid a price for doing it.

And that was in 2019!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I hope the people that “can’t root for Maroon” understand that Brad Marchand would be one of the bruins biggest villains of all time if he happened to don a different logo on his sweater.

100%. Milan (like Howe, like Lindsay, like...) could certainly be a dirty player. We loved him. We love Brad. Everyone else hates their guts.

That's the way it goes.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad