Confirmed with Link: Pat Maroon for Luke Toporowski and a Conditional 6th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Maroon publicly humiliated the Bruins in 2019. I do not forgive.

I will never support this guy, never cheer a single thing he does. I sincerely hope he never actually pulls on the spoked B, he doesn't deserve it.

The trade itself is harmless and risk-free. But I refuse to get on board with this player simply because he's now on our roster. The sooner he's gone, the better.

I like this feisty side of you.

Lol.

No disrespect at all, as you’re usually the calming voice of reason that makes me wonder if I’m loony because my blood still boils every time I see or hear a reference to Nilan, Carbonneau, Roy, or Chelios.

Glad to see you have even a slight bit of this in you!

Last edited:

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

I will never support this guy, never cheer a single thing he does. I sincerely hope he never actually pulls on the spoked B, he doesn't deserve it.

The trade itself is harmless and risk-free. But I refuse to get on board with this player simply because he's now on our roster. The sooner he's gone, the better.
I'm not a fan of this either

It took me quite awhile to get on board with numb nuts (Hathaway) from Washington last year, and now this move ...yuck

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

This is exactly how I felt about Chris Nilan but I'm older now, don't know
how much time is left and want to see another Cup before my time is up.
I despised Chris Nilan to the core, and was there when he knocked Rick Middletons bridge into the third balcony.
Friends were celebrating his signing but again, I hated it. I grew to accept him but I don't know if I ever rooted for him.
Maroon fills a need, a niche that no other Bruin can fill. I hated him before today, but if in some strange way the B's go deep, I may have fond memories of him to replace the nasty ones that I've had for him up until now.

I’m more mad at the bruins for letting a plug publicly humiliate them than I am at the plug
^^^THIS!^^^

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I despised Chris Nilan to the core, and was there when he knocked Rick Middletons bridge into the third balcony.
Friends were celebrating his signing but again, I hated it. I grew to accept him but I don't know if I ever rooted for him.
You're not going to like this but.......Boston actually traded a player ( Greg Johnston ) to the Rangers to get that SOB. I was angry about that deal because like a lot of older fans here I could never forget all the crap he pulled while playing for Montreal and I truly didn't want that piece of crap Nilan on my beloved Bruins.

Here's a bit of trivia for you - Johnston was traded twice on the same day for 2 of the biggest pukes to ever play in the NHL. On June 28 - 1990 Boston traded Johnston to the Rangers for Nilan and then the Rangers traded him the same day to Toronto for Tie Domi and Mark Laforest. :amazed:

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You're not going to like this but.......Boston actually traded a player ( Greg Johnston ) to the Rangers to get that SOB. I was angry about that deal because like a lot of older fans here I could never forget all the crap he pulled while playing for Montreal and I truly didn't want that piece of crap Nilan on my beloved Bruins.

Here's a bit of trivia for you - Johnston was traded twice on the same day for 2 of the biggest pukes to ever play in the NHL. On June 28 - 1990 Boston traded Johnston to the Rangers for Nilan and then the Rangers traded him the same day to Toronto for Tie Domi and Mark Laforest. :amazed:
WOW, I completely forgot that they traded for him and (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of the story. Thanks for the memory (I think)!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I like this feisty side of you.

Lol.

No disrespect at all, as you’re usually the calming voice of reason that makes me wonder if I’m loony because my blood still boils every time I see or hear a reference to Nilan, Carbonneau, Roy, or Chelios.

Glad to see you have even a slight bit of this in you!

LOL. Oh that side is there, for sure. I don't think you can be a hockey fan otherwise!

Maroon is tied with Wilson as my two most disliked current players, aside from those few guys who also seem to be genuine asses in their private lives, which of course is worse. I'm fully on board with the argument that the Bruins need more size and nasty on their back end, and I get that Sweeney is just doing business in signing Pat to fill that need, although it's rather scraping the barrell if an old injured guy is the best you can get.

Regardless, the logic checks out. Just wish Maroon wasn't the selection. Not a fan, almost certainly never will be.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
For all the people still bitter because of 2019 onward with regards to Maroon, I say the following: if he played the way he did in black and gold during that same time period, everyone would be singing his praises and he would be a cult hero and those who try and deny it are lying to themselves. Guy's a tough SOB and the Bruins need someone like that on this team, and the fact that they were able to get him for a conditional pick and a mid tier prospect is a bargain as far as I'm concerned. This team needed some sandpaper grit and now they finally have it again. Pat Maroon will be a tone setter for this team come playoff time when some scumbag like Matt Tkachuk tries to blindside one of the players in black and gold.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
For all the people still bitter because of 2019 onward with regards to Maroon, I say the following: if he played the way he did in black and gold during that same time period, everyone would be singing his praises and he would be a cult hero and those who try and deny it are lying to themselves. Guy's a tough SOB and the Bruins need someone like that on this team, and the fact that they were able to get him for a conditional pick and a mid tier prospect is a bargain as far as I'm concerned. This team needed some sandpaper grit and now they finally have it again. Pat Maroon will be a tone setter for this team come playoff time when some scumbag like Matt Tkachuk tries to blindside one of the players in black and gold.

He did his job can't be salty about that. 2011 bruins easily handle maroon

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He’s got some hilarious highlights, he really is a bully out there

There’s videos of him smoking 3 leafs defensemen so that’s cool (crushed both Giordano and McCabe with hits, speed bagged Lyubushkin)

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
He did his job can't be salty about that. 2011 bruins easily handle maroon

Exactly. He's a guy playing his role the best he knows how. Too many times in the NHL nowadays people get upset over dumb things like a clean open ice hit from a power forward that's just simply doing his job. Maroon can also get down and dirty, I know, but he ain't Matt Cooke going knee on knee every night. He's not being stupid like Raffi Torres. Maroon is the kind of player you should want on a team, especially one that has been getting pushed around in the playoffs recently.

Reactions: Grimey

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I half agree with you here. If Maroon had played on the Bruins these last few years and played in his usual manner, he'd be popular with the fanbase. Can't dispute that. But not with me. I'm sure on that. I don't think he's tough either, not really. He's a big guy, knows how to lay a hit, can run his mouth. Will give him that. But he's a spot-picker, and whenever he gets in a fight with someone who actually knows what they're doing, all he does is use his size and reach to hold them off until the refs call it off. Sometimes if there's someone around he's hesitant about he goes missing altogether. Weak sauce.

He's still useful in his own way, definitely has things the Bruins need if he can actually get fit. Won't argue that. I get it. Doesn't change my opinion on the guy.

Last edited:

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Shades of:
81bHXl+CHXL.jpg
🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Damn, memories you didn't want to relive! And when I can finally look away, I see that Pat Maroon is a Bruin! Aaagh!

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I half agree with you here. If Maroon had played on the Bruins these last few years and played in his usual manner, he'd be popular with the fanbase. Can't dispute that. But not with me. I'm sure on that. I don't think he's tough either, not really. He's a big guy, knows how to lay a hit, can run his mouth. Will give him that. But he's a spot-picker, and whenever he gets in a fight with someone who actually knows what they're doing, all he does is use his size and reach to hold them off until the refs call it off. Sometimes if there's someone around he's hesitant about he goes missing altogether. Weak sauce.

He's still useful in his own way, definitely has things the Bruins need if he can actually get fit. Won't argue that. I get it. Doesn't change my opinion on the guy.

Anyone who has a brain is a spot picker. The role of someone like Maroon is to be an intimidator that throws off the other team's game and rally the troops to play hard when the chips are down. Part of that role is knowing when to throw a hit and on who. Otherwise, you're talking about someone whose as brain dead as Raffi Torres who just takes dumb penalties and cost your team momentum. On top of that, this finally allows Marchand and Frederic to get away from being in that role which, as far as I'm concerned, is a blessing in disguise. Far too often Marchand has had to go back and be an intimidator and lose games because of past reputation due to a lack of guys who can do that job, which isn't what Marchand should be doing at this point in his career. And while Frederic can hit, he's more of a power forward than an intimidator that goes out there to stir shit with another team's top guy, at least from what I've seen. Maroon can now be the lightning rod and those two can finally play the roles they're meant to play.

I just find it odd that people, not you as you've been consistent, are upset with Maroon joining the team due to past misgivings when we all would've been hailing him in the same breath as Shawn Thornton had he been here.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
We added some much-needed leadership and toughness without giving anything up. Granted, it is a decade too late, but I’m happy to add this guy. Every Bruin grew two inches and 15 lbs yesterday. The guys a winner. He might have been the difference maker on last years team. I hope Don brings him back next year.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Milan is much much more hate-able in my book. Disgrace that they traded for him. He was an epic doosh. Ask Middleton.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Milan is much much more hate-able in my book. Disgrace that they traded for him. He was an epic doosh. Ask Middleton.
I never hated him until the incident in November. I’m actually glad they didn’t bring him back after the hearing.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Anyone who has a brain is a spot picker. The role of someone like Maroon is to be an intimidator that throws off the other team's game and rally the troops to play hard when the chips are down. Part of that role is knowing when to throw a hit and on who. Otherwise, you're talking about someone whose as brain dead as Raffi Torres who just takes dumb penalties and cost your team momentum. On top of that, this finally allows Marchand and Frederic to get away from being in that role which, as far as I'm concerned, is a blessing in disguise. Far too often Marchand has had to go back and be an intimidator and lose games because of past reputation due to a lack of guys who can do that job, which isn't what Marchand should be doing at this point in his career. And while Frederic can hit, he's more of a power forward than an intimidator that goes out there to stir shit with another team's top guy, at least from what I've seen. Maroon can now be the lightning rod and those two can finally play the roles they're meant to play.

I just find it odd that people, not you as you've been consistent, are upset with Maroon joining the team due to past misgivings when we all would've been hailing him in the same breath as Shawn Thornton had he been here.

Yeah from a purely pragmatic point of view the reasoning for the acquisition checks out, fitness pending. Your point here around giving other guys greater freedom to go about their normal business is a valid one. On being a spot picker there are good and bad ones. Maroon's not the worst, and he's rarely dumb, but I do maintain that he's got a streak of what could most charitably be called avoidance that I don't care for, especially in someone with as big a mouth as he has.

One thing I will say I'm curious about is whether Maroon can overcome Boston's notorious 'neutering effect' of recent times. Other players who had reputations of being physical agitators have arrived in Boston and become mysteriously meek. Well Pat's as old school and unreformed as they come these days. Surely if anyone's going to stick to his guns, for better or worse, it's him.

Last edited:

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH

This is it for me. Can't stand spot pickers or a guy that hugs it out until the linesmen save them, hell we already have a couple who can do that. If they wanted someone big and slow they should have just gotten MacDermid, at least hes actually tough.

I get they were looking for a Lucic replacement but this isn't it to me. As I said in the Sweeney presser thread I'll probably come around the second he dummies somebody but until then....🤮

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad