Prospect Info: Part 3: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
39468B4E-80C8-4327-84CE-296250B0B8BE.jpeg
Of all the goals in his NHL career, maybe 2 have been him beating a goalie with a good shot.

The majority of his goals are from right in front of the net. Why does it matter that he doesn’t tend to beat goalies clean when he scores? If he scores 20 goals next season and 19 are right in front of the net and only one is from far out and beats the goalie clean....does it really matter? 20 goals is 20 goals.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As a goalie myself, I have no problem admitting any time you score a goal you've beat me. Doesnt matter if it's from 2 feet or two hundred. The only difference is how many additional people you've beaten.

Also, they all count the same on the scoreboard, so it ultimately doesnt matter if they are low or high scoring chances.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
View attachment 230765

The majority of his goals are from right in front of the net. Why does it matter that he doesn’t tend to beat goalies clean when he scores? If he scores 20 goals next season and 19 are right in front of the net and only one is from far out and beats the goalie clean....does it really matter? 20 goals is 20 goals.

Uh, Ted, I think they were talking about Patrick.

Lindblom will get his goals in front of the net, that's what he does, gets the puck, feeds a linemate with playmaking skills, then goes to the net and creates havoc.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
View attachment 230765

I was responding to the claim that Patrick has a "great shot," which is baseless.

EDIT: Oh, also I was talking about Patrick, not Lindblom.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I was responding to the claim that Patrick has a "great shot," which is baseless.

I gotcha. Yeah, when the GM says publicly that your shot needs work....it needs work. Would be nice if he trained like Laine with his shot. Dude used to work on his shot until his hands bled.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I gotcha. Yeah, when the GM says publicly that your shot needs work....it needs work. Would be nice if he trained like Laine with his shot. Dude used to work on his shot until his hands bled.

Uh, Laine might not be the influence we want with Patrick, he may practice his shot, but he's neglected the rest of his game.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Uh, Laine might not be the influence we want with Patrick, he may practice his shot, but he's neglected the rest of his game.
That's fine if he is a lock for 30+ goals with 40-50 goal potential. Not every player has to be complete. It isn't like he is Zherdev who just tries when feels like it. Even if he's the worst defensive forward and can't pass and whatever else you want to ding him for, a guy that is a threat to score every time he has the puck is invaluable. We don't have anyone like that and haven't probably since maybe early Lindros?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laine IS a bad defensive forward, so bad he got demoted to 4th line for a few games to try and light a fire.
Laine had 30 goals, but was overall below replacement value at ES, his only worth was on the PP.
I'd prefer Boeser on Van.

JVR is a pretty good scoring threat, and he at least can pass and tries at times on defense.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I think Patrick has a good shot, and particularly a good release. However, he does need to use it more, specifically he needs to get areas of the ice where he can use it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think Patrick has a good shot, and particularly a good release. However, he does need to use it more, specifically he needs to get areas of the ice where he can use it.

The idea he needs to “work on his shot,” echoed by Fletcher even, is such a gross oversimplification. The shot itself is fine. Plus even for his snapper.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Think it's just the same as we saw with Lindblom, you can have the tools, but the windows are smaller in the NHL, you have to anticipate the action and react faster - that's why most players tend to peak at 24-26 after a few years of experience when the game slows down for them.
Patrick will be 21 next year, Lindblom 23, it's not like they're at the career stage where "what you see is probably all you're gonna get."

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve been disappointed in Patrick’s shot at the NHL level.

I thought it was going to be one of his strengths. It hasn’t been.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
While scoring is nice, Lindblom's overall game is underrated, he's the best at retrieving pucks, winning board battles, and is a plus defensive player. His only real flaw is his open ice skating, which gets exposed on the PK.

When you can score and do almost everything else well, you're a special player.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not to be a Debbie downer, but where does that rank against peers in the league, or league average/median?

Since he entered the NHL:

0.83 ExGF/60: 42/347 fwds

His actual scoring rate of 0.74 GF/60 is ~125th in the NHL over that time... IE 2nd line level. But the positions he gets himself in to shoot are right up there with the best 5v5 scorers in the league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
His scoring rate should go up, you could see him pressing when he first came up and the first half of last season, second half the game slowed down and he stopped rushing scoring chances and starting lighting it up.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
His scoring rate should go up, you could see him pressing when he first came up and the first half of last season, second half the game slowed down and he stopped rushing scoring chances and starting lighting it up.
Funny thing what playing with confidence (not playing 8mins a game with 4th liners and getting benced) does.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Funny thing what playing with confidence (not playing 8mins a game with 4th liners and getting benced) does.
Fletcher laughed about that in an early interview. Joked something to the effect of, “The old ‘if you play better, I’ll give you more time’ ‘if you give me more time I’ll play better’ debate.”

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Lindblom had a passive stretch where he didn’t assert himself on the wall, & also was consistently behind the play. There were reasons he lost ice time. But he also had good stretches & was good late. I think he’s a perfect 3rd line wing. Lindblom-Patrick-Farabee would be a hellacious 3rd line to deal with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad