Prospect Info: Part 3: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Wow. I believe everything HCs say.
They kept 2 200+ lb 21 year olds and sent down the 19 year old. For a stretch that included 3 loooong road games. Connect the dots.

I don't think hitting posts hurts a player's confidence (might frustrate them a bit . . .), missing wide open shots, etc., that will hurt your confidence.
Farabee wasn't squeezing his stick, he was just having bad puck luck, as we've seen with TK, post fever is usually followed by a stretch of goal scoring.
You live in your own world and you wonder why people argue with you.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You live in your own world and you wonder why people argue with you.

Gee, Farabee says today that going down gave him a chance to work on his puck handling in tight spaces, but didn't mention a thing about "confidence."

Meanwhile, Fletcher said players would be moved up and down for different matchups weeks ago, and guess what, they keep the two big young forwards for the road trip, then when they get home send them down and bring up the skill players. Coincidence?

Why did Gordon play Lindblom on the 4th line?
Didn't he coach him in LHV?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He’s going to make the expansion draft even more painful for us, isn’t he?
We are going 7-3 anyways and he is being protected.

G, Couts, Hayes, TK, Lindblom, Patrick, Jake

The big question will be what we do with the D. Let them take the D we expose?Bribe them to leave that D alone? Make a trade of one of those D?

Hopefully we have replacement option ready in. York, Friedman, Kalynuk, Zamula, Hogberg.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Lot of time between now and then, but I really feel like a d- man will be going.

You'll have to expose one of Myers, Provy, Ghost, Sanheim. That is, unless one is traded (not advocating for that).

Wouldnt surprise me if they traded Ghost with the anticipation of York being ready. As you said, certainly not advocating it, but woudnt be a surprise. They'd ideally need to start letting Sanheim ease into some of those offensive responsibilities of his, though.

Love Ghost as a player, but sometimes its just business and im not sure i want to pay him a multi year deal at ag 29. But like you said, lot of time between now and then.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Unless something happens, or he can't put on weight, Zamula is almost a lock for a starting spot in two years.

Can't imagine he'll spend more than a year in the AHL, he's more fundamentally sound than Sanheim or Myers at the same age, just watching him in camp, if he had filled out, he might have made the team this year. He just has "it," in his case, the kind of composure where he looked comfortable playing against veterans with no hint of panic in his play. Isn't going to be as dynamic as the other two, but should be very reliable.

At 19, Zamula is outplaying 1st rd picks in the WHL.
Even if his hot start is a fluke, last 81 games: 14-62 76 +22

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wouldnt surprise me if they traded Ghost with the anticipation of York being ready. As you said, certainly not advocating it, but woudnt be a surprise. They'd ideally need to start letting Sanheim ease into some of those offensive responsibilities of his, though.

Love Ghost as a player, but sometimes its just business and im not sure i want to pay him a multi year deal at ag 29. But like you said, lot of time between now and then.
The good thing is, Ghost won't be a rental with 2 years left on his cheap deal. So he will have lots of value to teams with extra D spots.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

We've seen Ghost's usage so far and that tells me this management group doesn't really like what he brings to the table. So if a d-man is to go, my money would be on Ghost.

From an asset management point of view only, I think one could make a competent argument that it makes sense to trade Ghost the most out of all d-men.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We've seen Ghost's usage so far and that tells me this management group doesn't really like what he brings to the table. So if a d-man is to go, my money would be on Ghost.

From an asset management point of view only, I think one could make a competent argument that it makes sense to trade Ghost the most out of all d-men.

I think the organization is silly for feeling this way, but I dont disagree. This constant use of Provrov on the PP makes me think they're committed to him being there long term, even if we probably have better options.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

TBH, a deal where another team has too many forwards to be exposed could make sense. If we could get a young but ED eligible forward (plus maybe something) in exchange that would allow us to expose Jake as well as JVR. Given Jake's salary, it is unlikely that he gets taken, but even if so, the cap reduction could be helpful.

Just spit-balling.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They have two years to gauge the progress of the young defensemen.

I expect a lot of deals before the ED, because teams learned from the last one not to let Seattle extort them like Vegas did to protect players.
Ghost, unless he totally falters, will have value to a number of teams that would be able to justify protecting him from the ED.
Given the depth the Flyers will have in two years in NHL ready players, I wouldn't be surprised for a trade for ED exempt "futures" (prospects and draft picks).

Of course, if Myers doesn't put it together between now and then, he'd be exposed (at that point he'd be 25 and probably is never going to live up to his potential). But I think the odds are long that he won't emerge by the end of this season.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
TBH, a deal where another team has too many forwards to be exposed could make sense. If we could get a young but ED eligible forward (plus maybe something) in exchange that would allow us to expose Jake as well as JVR. Given Jake's salary, it is unlikely that he gets taken, but even if so, the cap reduction could be helpful.

Just spit-balling.

Im not in love with the idea offering up all our 'veteran' wingers, sans giroux, as sacrifice. That said, if we can find a reasonable deal, I'm open to that. I'd much prefer the idea of trying to get futures instead, though teams have been a little more stingy with 1st rounders lately, and especially in relation to the expansion draft. My hope here is that our picks should be mostly late round at this point, and being able to grab a recently drafted, high potential but maybe struggling F for a team looking for 'now' help, or a 1st from a bubble team, would be ideal, imo.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Im not in love with the idea offering up all our 'veteran' wingers, sans giroux, as sacrifice. That said, if we can find a reasonable deal, I'm open to that. I'd much prefer the idea of trying to get futures instead, though teams have been a little more stingy with 1st rounders lately, and especially in relation to the expansion draft. My hope here is that our picks should be mostly late round at this point, and being able to grab a recently drafted, high potential but maybe struggling F for a team looking for 'now' help, or a 1st from a bubble team, would be ideal, imo.

That's a different scenario - Ghost for young/struggling vs Ghost for veteran/established - but I could certainly see that as a possibility as well. If young/struggling were the return, I would expect picks as well, especially from a contender who Ghost would theoretically be either putting over the top, extending their window, or both.

Now, the other thing to remember is that the cost of keeping Ghost may well be paying Seattle to take someone else. So in effect it would be a trade of:
- to Seattle: our #1 (based on LVK examples) and JVR or someone lesser
- to PHL: Ghost.

The alternative I proposed would allow both the Flyers and the 3rd team to keep the picks they would trade to not lose their better players while exchanging these better players. Assuming equal value exchanged, both teams are ahead by the value of their #1 pick, a not insignificant consideration. So for us:
- to Seattle: JVR or Jake (or a "lesser player") & "lesser player" from team 3
- team 3: Ghost and team 3's #1
- To PHL: Trade value of Ghost (their #1+, protected player, or unprotected player & picks) and our #1.

Assuming our young d trend the way we expect, this could be a very attractive way to keep young talent coming through the system.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

The Gordon/Wagner staff also had an issue with him. I think once Myers is up and producing they might explore what is offered for Ghost. Last years 1st rounder looks like a Ghost replacement to me. He will be here at some point. I would say this about most of our team but if the right deal came along I would trade Ghost without hesitation. Hagg as well but they probably know they won't get much.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Along with Farabee.

Calling anyone a lock for anything in this organization is just silly.
Calling anybody a lock who isn't a superstar in any organization is silly. Myers only has himself to blame. He didn't play well and based based on usage in preseason probably did something behind the scenes to get himself sent down. Also there was a comment by AV in BTG where he says that a player acts like he has already made the team but has played poorly. There are only a few players that could have been. Just guessing it was Myers but either way he will be here soon and we will see how he does and how short his leash is.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
It's good for us that we haven't to protect Frost or Farabee.

My thought: G, Hayes, TK, Couts, Oskar, Patrick, Jake
Provy, Sanheim, Myers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->