Part 2- 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
When a consensus Top 10 pick falls to you at 15, "due diligence" is a garbage excuse. You take the kid, period. It's not rocket science.

Biggest organizational need? An elite C prospect. What was Barzal? An elite C prospect.

If Sweeney was that "lost" after failing to move up for Hanifin, then just go pick the 3 BPA and call it a day. Doing that would've gotten them Barzal, Connor and Zboril.

Not that they shouldn't have still taken him, but they did have Bergeron and Krejci inked to long term deals and Ryan Spooner was 22 and looked like he might be something, and even Koko was 22 as well and looking like it was possible he would be a player. I think Donato was picked the year before as well.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
5 years searching for depth scoring yet we passed up on a couple general consensus because the GM failed to have a backup plan when the Hanifin deal didn't work out. It will unfortunately be Sween-Dog's defining moment and the reasonable scapegoat to why we didn't get Bergeron another cup

They were never after Hanifin. Sorry guys. The guy they wanted was Werenski.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I’m ok with the fact we missed on all three. This isn’t the issue. We take Zboril,DeBrusk thenConnor or Barzal. This is acceptable. Missing on elite talent isn’t acceptable to a fan base who wants more cups.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Zboril wasn't a big reach. He was just a blown evaluation by Sweeney and the staff. The 2 reaches were DeBrusk and Senyshyn. Senyshyn's average ranking was around 40 and DeBrusk's average ranking was 25-26 (McKenzie had him at 28). Quality player, but nowhere near the BPA and was taken over players (Barzal, Connor, Konecny) who were superior at the time and have proven to still be superior players 5 years later. Thus, he was a mismanaged pick. Again, I'm not blaming DeBrusk and especially Senyshyn for being taken over 2 studs. They didn't hold a gun to Sweeney's head and demand that he select them. The blame is on Sweeney and his staff.
Konecny literally has the same ppg as Debrusk up to this point, not sure why he's included with Barzal and Connor.

This draft went from possibly the best draft we've ever had to just a very good draft.

Complaining about it is like having $995k and being upset that you aren't a millionaire.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
My theory remains that the whole Hamilton deal and the collection of the 3 firsts was built around the idea of moving up for Hanifan, which fell apart and left Sweeney in a situation where he had to pick three players that he didn't plan on picking and wasn't prepared to make the decision in advance. Add that to the fact that nobody thought Barzal would be on the board that late means he probably never put in the time to truly evaluate him, while they did put time in evaluating Senyshyn as a possible 2nd round pick, and he fell for the player and decided to pick him there at 15 rather than waiting and didn't feel comfortable choosing a guy like Barzal he hadn't done proper due diligence on.

I agree that's what happened, but a smart GM would prepare for a situation in which the deal fell apart and they'd have to made 3 picks, just in case. Also, you don't make 2 trades with the HOPE of using all 3 picks to move up. Because Sweeney and the staff were morons, they weren't prepared and likely settled for the guys they were targeting with picks 37 (DeBrusk) and 45 (Senyshyn). You better, at the very least, have Carolina draw up the paper work on a proposed trade before you acquire the picks.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Not that they shouldn't have still taken him, but they did have Bergeron and Krejci inked to long term deals and Ryan Spooner was 22 and looked like he might be something, and even Koko was 22 as well and looking like it was possible he would be a player. I think Donato was picked the year before as well.
By that logic, they should've passed on McDavid if they had the first overall pick. We also never should've drafted Seguin with Bergeron, Krejci, and Savard all under contract. You take the best player available every single time. When we were picking, there was a clear separation between Barzal (and Connor) from the rest of the pack.

Reactions: Lo97

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I’m thinking 3 (1/2 the starting six like it looks Carlo Lauzon zboril might be on Thursday night)

Ah, I misread the question. I saw 1/2 as a one and a two, rather than one half.

Looks like the Blue Jackets got Werenski, Gavrikov, and Nutivaara all in 2015 too.

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Konecny literally has the same ppg as Debrusk up to this point, not sure why he's included with Barzal and Connor.

This draft went from possibly the best draft we've ever had to just a very good draft.

Complaining about it is like having $995k and being upset that you aren't a millionaire.
Well I see at as having $995,000. To having 5 million

Reactions: Lo97

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
2015 draft issues will haunt this team for another 5 years or so. So much potential to be so much better for so much longer
So true. We gave up good players for picks. If we draft well in the first round we are contenders for 6-10 years and have at a minimum one more cup with the possibilities of more. We had the golden goose but we laid a rotten egg. Some events are critical for a team. This was our critical time. We failed, now we live with the consequences.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad