Part 2- 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Konecny literally has the same ppg as Debrusk up to this point, not sure why he's included with Barzal and Connor.

This draft went from possibly the best draft we've ever had to just a very good draft.

Complaining about it is like having $995k and being upset that you aren't a millionaire.
agree about Konecny. He's not one of the guys I pine after. Personally Boeser is one of the guys I'd want if we had a do over, but the easiest answer is just the Barzal/Connor/Chabot trio that were the next 3 picks after Boston whiffed with Senyshyn.

As for your analogy you're definitely understating the dropoff from what could have been to what was. It's more like being sad that you won a million bucks when you could have won a billion.

Basically, they could have drafted 3 guys in the first round that would have made up much of their core for the next 10 years AND still had the chance to draft Carlo and Lauzon. Instead they got a defenseman who I'd put at a 50/50 chance to stick with the team, a RW bust, and a complementary LW piece. The 2nd round really saved the draft for them, but again, you could have done much, much better in the first round and still had those 2nd round picks.

Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Carlo, Lauzon
vs
Debrusk, Zboril, Senyshyn, Carlo, Lauzon

that's a way bigger difference than the $5k that your analogy implies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Nice - though McDonagh never played for them.

The Bruins pulled Lindgren along with McAvoy too in 16 - could have had 5/6 of a defense from just two consecutive drafts...
Gryz-McAvoy
Chabot-Carlo
Lindgren-Lauzon

it's honestly a real bummer to think about what could have been if they had drafted better & managed their assets better. And that's not to say they drafted poorly. But it could have been sooooo much better and it's all on them.

Reactions: Estlin and Lo97

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
agree about Konecny. He's not one of the guys I pine after. Personally Boeser is one of the guys I'd want if we had a do over, but the easiest answer is just the Barzal/Connor/Chabot trio that were the next 3 picks after Boston whiffed with Senyshyn.

As for your analogy you're definitely understating the dropoff from what could have been to what was. It's more like being sad that you won a million bucks when you could have won a billion.

Basically, they could have drafted 3 guys in the first round that would have made up much of their core for the next 10 years AND still had the chance to draft Carlo and Lauzon. Instead they got a defenseman who I'd put at a 50/50 chance to stick with the team, a RW bust, and a complementary LW piece. The 2nd round really saved the draft for them, but again, you could have done much, much better in the first round and still had those 2nd round picks.

Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Carlo, Lauzon
vs
Debrusk, Zboril, Senyshyn, Carlo, Lauzon

that's a way bigger difference than the $5k that your analogy implies.
Yeah I get that the drop-off might be larger than $5k, but my point still stands at this boards inability to enjoy what they have and instead constantly think about what could have been.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
bruins had 3 picks in the top 15, no other team had more than 1. Bruins also had six picks in the top 52, one other team had 4 and a few teams had three.

by all accounts they should have the most NHL players.
Agreed. Anyone trying to spin this draft into being very good is just being disingenuous. Our 2nd round looks to be pretty good, but the 1st Round is nothing but an "F." Zboril was a blown evaluation (it happens), Senyshyn was an atrocious pick from the start, and although DeBrusk is a "hit," he was a reach and nowhere near the BPA and was taken over vastly superior players (both at the time and now), and thus was a mismanaged pick. We failed to take the BPA (let alone the 2-3 BPA) in every selection.

The Flyers and Isles each had 2 1st round picks and they hit on more players in the 1st round than we did, even though all 3 of our picks were higher than all but one (Philly's first pick) of theirs. Not only that, but you could make a strong argument that all 3 of their selections made after our picks (Barzal, Konecny, Beauvillier) are better than DeBrusk. Winnipeg and Ottawa also had 2 1sts and they hit on more players than we did, despite all of their selections coming after ours.

We're going on our 4th straight year of an incomplete 2nd line, and the consensus 2 BPA (Barzal and Connor) fell into our lap and would've solved that issue, and Sweeney and the staff failed. Given some of our key players aging and experiencing injuries, I expect us to be in a similar position over the next few years that Detroit was in over the last few years of Zetterberg and Datsyuk, where we get worse every year and either sneak into the playoffs or miss the playoffs entirely. When that happens, Sweeney will likely get canned, and that blown 2015 1st round will be a big reason why.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Keep whining about what if.

What is:

-one top-6 20-30 goal scoring winger who had big goals in playoffs

-50% of the top-6 on D and still improving

Could it have been better? Always. Just like other teams that wish to go back in time to take Pasta in 2014 or McAvoy in 2016.

But 2015 finally ain’t that bad for the worst draft in humanity.

Reactions: PB37 and Kegs

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I believe jakub will become a top pairing dman . I know only one game but there is lots to be excited about this kid . Carlo lauzon and zboril in one draft playing for years is ridiculous. Donny did it.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Felger has said that the 2015 1st round will be the albatross across the necks of Sweeney and Neely for the rest of their careers, or at least until they win a Cup, and that doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. It will also be a big reason why Sweeney gets canned (and deservedly so, and hopefully Neely as well) within the next few years. Barzal and Connor, two slam-dunk players at the time who have panned out as expected into top-end forwards, fell into their laps and instead they wound up with a guy who was put on waivers (Senyshyn) and a very inconsistent/frustrating winger who brings nothing to the table when he isn't scoring and isn't even a fit in the top 6 (DeBrusk). It's not the fault of DeBrusk and Senyshyn. They were big reaches and both of them never should've been with this organization. It's the fault of Sweeney, Neely, and the scouts.

Last edited by a moderator:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Felger has said that the 2015 1st round will be the albatross across the necks of Sweeney and Neely for the rest of their careers, or at least until they win a Cup, and that doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. It will also be a big reason why Sweeney gets canned (and deservedly so, and hopefully Neely as well) within the next few years. Barzal and Connor, two slam-dunk players at the time who have panned out as expected into top-end forwards, fell into their laps and instead they wound up with a guy who was put on waivers (Senyshyn) and a very inconsistent/frustrating winger who brings nothing to the table when he isn't scoring and isn't even a fit in the top 6 (DeBrusk). It's not the fault of DeBrusk and Senyshyn. They were big reaches and both of them never should've been with this organization. It's the fault of Sweeney, Neely, and the scouts.

This argument has been beaten to death. Felger has nothing else. No ****

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Still can't believe the went up to the podium and made 3 picks. After the first two picks the phones would have been ringing off the hook. Were they just too lazy to walk up and back a couple of times?
Why not give a little pause and at least let people think that they had a small clue? There's a good chance that another GM would have made an offer of some sort and saved them from themselves. Every other GM has to be laughing at those clowns to this day. :laugh:
Good point, Mr Bonvie.:nod:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Not that they shouldn't have still taken him, but they did have Bergeron and Krejci inked to long term deals and Ryan Spooner was 22 and looked like he might be something, and even Koko was 22 as well and looking like it was possible he would be a player. I think Donato was picked the year before as well.
I’m 98% positive that I recall Sweeney saying (around draft time) we are good at center and he mentioned the 3 guys. He went on to say we need wingers.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
they also draft max Paccioretti in 07. people complain about the 2015 but we shat the bed in 07. we took zach hamill and tommy cross with our 1st two picks. that draft could have changed our future more then 2015.
Well we can say that about almost any draft. I hated 07 because the first 6 guys all went. I was praying we trade the pick.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
They actually came out of that draft with more
Nhl players then any other team I believe.
I hope so they had the most picks in the first 2 rounds by a long shot. Wanna trade all our picks for Thomas and Barzal. I would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad