Part 2- 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
You know he would , it was a really that simple for most, "unless your extra smart"
Ironically, the "smartest guys in the room" (Sweeney, Neely, and the scouts) were proven to be the dumbest guys in the room. You know what the scary thing is? There are still scouts employed on the team that had a say in those atrocious/mismanaged picks. On Behind The B, Dean Malkoc even said "we want these guys" referring to Zboril, Senyshyn, and DeBrusk. How these scouts haven't been canned is beyond me.

Reactions: Lo97 and Gordoff

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Barzal miss is absolutely atrocious. But getting carlo was Brilliant. Simply the best young dman 23 yrs old giant. Makes up the sting for the loss we can parlay him into a young sniper easily. Also getting lauzon was a big bonus cause hes ready for prime time and another warrior back there with a snarl.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I came across this. The stupidity in the video is amazing.

Sadly hilarious in that not one IIRC of them could do a pullup when they tested them in Boston post draft. My question is, don't they bring in guys to test their physical conditioning prior to a draft? If so WTF happened, if not why not?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Why bother hiring scouts? Just follow the consensus ratings lmao

I will do the drafting for the team and charge just 1/2 what they pay now lmfao

With the cost cutting measures that many teams are looking to have to make this season, why not save some salary? Why even pay you? They can just subscribe to McKeen's, Redline, etc and save a bundle and just take the consensus BPA.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
With the cost cutting measures that many teams are looking to have to make this season, why not save some salary? Why even pay you? They can just subscribe to McKeen's, Redline, etc and save a bundle and just take the consensus BPA.
why pay me you say ?!? :mad::fight:

where is the DONT LIKE option for these posts?
{for what its worth... ive been told alot of the college teams/and Euro pro teams do their recruiting largely based on independent scouting from sources like redline and the ISS or whatever they are called... but as i go through these consensus ratings i see things like elias petterson at number 9. I bet Vancouver fans are happy they reached for him}

Reactions: Dr Hook

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
why pay me you say ?!? :mad::fight:

where is the DONT LIKE option for these posts?
{for what its worth... ive been told alot of the college teams/and Euro pro teams do their recruiting largely based on independent scouting from sources like redline and the ISS or whatever they are called... but as i go through these consensus ratings i see things like elias petterson at number 9. I bet Vancouver fans are happy they reached for him}

Reaching is fine but if your reaching you need to right ?

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Reaching is fine in weak drafts or outside of the 1st round where there are a big group of players with little separation between them. Reaching is not fine in what the scouts and insiders said was a very, very deep draft AT THE TIME, which has proven to be a generational draft. Especially in a deep draft where there was a clear separation of the top 13-14 players (which Barzal and Connor were a part of) and you got lucky that 2 of them fell to you.

Last edited:

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Anyone else more upset with the Seguin return than the 2015 draft? I know I am. Drafts can be a crap shoot, with first rounders busting all the time. We had a bird in the hand, who is now playing in the Stanley Cup Finals, and we have nothing to show for him. That upsets me way more than botched picks.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Anyone else more upset with the Seguin return than the 2015 draft? I know I am. Drafts can be a crap shoot, with first rounders busting all the time. We had a bird in the hand, who is now playing in the Stanley Cup Finals, and we have nothing to show for him. That upsets me way more than botched picks.

The underrated awful deal is the Hamilton one for picks and who they drafted with them. Not sure why they had to rush with Dougie and deal him so soon. You still had four months to the regular season and you could have played hardball with him, or at least re evaluate where you are after the summer and swap him for some NHL ready talent or '16 picks.

Bruins were gifted two top ten picks, nailed both of them and then outsmarted themselves.

aguineapig

Right or wrong,if Barzal floated by a back check like he did on the Point tap in goal the other night during his Junior days, I can imagine the B's scouts getting up and leaving before the game was over.

Reactions: Lo97 and Gordoff

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

2015 draft was considered the best since 2003 and Boston had 3 top15 picks and left the draft with zero elite players.

Barzal was at the time seen as superior prospect with great potential, and has proven to be superior every year since.
Connor and his scoring ability is also big what the hell miss. It's what the Bruins lacked at the time and still lack.

Nobody would be looking at Hall/Hoffman with him on the roster. Nobody would have to worry about life after Bergeron with Barzal on the roster.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bruins were gifted two top ten picks, nailed both of them and then outsmarted themselves The underrated awful deal is the Hamilton one for picks and who they drafted with them. Not sure why they had to rush with Dougie and deal him so soon. You still had four months to the regular season and you could have played hardball with him, or at least re evaluate where you are after the summer and swap him for some NHL ready talent or '16 picks..[/QUOTE]

Well, as they say....."easy come, easy go."

Reactions: LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The year is 2040 and everyone from the 2015 draft is now retired....

This thread will still be active because of a handful of posters who can't let it go lol.

When you lose a cup because you can't score 5 v 5 and have no secondary scoring still, and there were a plethora of studs available that you passed not once, not twice but three times,, yeah that will have some staying power....

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
When you lose a cup because you can't score 5 v 5 and have no secondary scoring still, and there were a plethora of studs available that you passed not once, not twice but three times,, yeah that will have some staying power....

True, but everyone that hates what happened has vented their hearts out about it for at least two years if not longer. At some point you have to let it go, don't you? The Cups that might have got away still got away. I guess if you are on the "Fire Sweeney!" train, as some are, then you do need to keep harping because this is your best evidence that he needs a sacking. Otherwise, I'm not sure what it continues to do for people. But different strokes for different folks as they say

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I come back to 1 simple truth

Outside your top 5 picks, the chance to get an impact player is 50% or less at any spot

Go back and look at your last 10-15 years at #6 ot #7... its a flip of the coin the guy might be better than jake debrusk

So debrusk is 50% in our favor
Senyshyn is 50% against us
Zboril is 50% against us
Mcavoy is 50% in our favor
And federic is too soon to tell

In a 50-50 crap shoot we are at 50%

I wish it better... but its to be expected

Sucess rate in second round goes way below 33% for a regular.

Carlo check
Karlson fail
Lauzon check
Ryan lingren check
Studnicka check

4 out of 5 picks are players... maybe lingren wont be a top 4? Maybe lauzon wont? But we got studnicka and carlo out of second round in sweenys first 3 years. Who did better?

Our drafting in first round was average i guess but second round was elite

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille