Part 2- 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
All I know is what I got from someone here (an very reputable source) who knew the inside story of what happened. Whatever these guys say publicly is just that- fit for the public which typically involves downplaying unpleasantness and controversy. I don't disagree that a player like Hamilton should have brought back more, but as I understand it, there were things going on behind the scenes that steered things into what finally went down.

Yea I remember Dom and co. stating that they knew from the moment Hamilton was drafted that he would never sign a second contract with Boston.

Odd that they knew but the Bruins braintrust drafted him anyway. To be fair there aren't many if any players drafted after Hamilton in the 1st round that I would have taken over him.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yea I remember Dom and co. stating that they knew from the moment Hamilton was drafted that he would never sign a second contract with Boston.

Odd that they knew but the Bruins braintrust drafted him anyway. To be fair there aren't many if any players drafted after Hamilton in the 1st round that I would have taken over him.
this one is total hindsight, but JT Miller would look great on the 2nd line right about 2 weeks ago

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
There will always have some whining about missed draft pick.

Could whine about almost every pick.

2015 is the biggest forum for the whiners cause three consecutive 1st rounders and players that got drafted afterwards will have much greater career.

When you play what if, you can’t just add.

What if Bruins got Barzal instead of Senyshyn but someone takes Pasta and McAvoy before the Bruins in 14 and 16?

I like this team as it is and while I would gladly add Barzal, I wouldn’t substract either of them for him.

I rather reality than what if.

Whining about 2015 draft or any missed pick is like whining about the 1993 swept loss against May Day. Get over it.
Your way too reasonable and rational to even participate in this thread

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You're comparing controllable vs. uncontrollable.

They aren't equal.

Don can't control who others pick therefore he wouldn't receive criticism for something he couldn't control.

Its not about criticism for the GM.

The point is if every GM, in retrospect, made the right pick in the draft, the Bruins would probably be a mediocre team at best right now.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Its not about criticism for the GM.

The point is if every GM, in retrospect, made the right pick in the draft, the Bruins would probably be a mediocre team at best right now.

Completely unrealistic. That fantasyland will never exist and is pointless to bring up. However being prepared and taking advantage of a situation is completely within reason hence the criticism.

I came across this. The stupidity in the video is amazing.

I'm curious who Gretzky was talking about when he said he loved him and should have drafted him?

He says he learned his lesson then proceeded to **** up again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Completely unrealistic. That fantasyland will never exist and is pointless to bring up. However being prepared and taking advantage of a situation is completely within reason hence the criticism.

I'm curious who Gretzky was talking about when he said he loved him and should have drafted him?

Of course it is!

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Giroux?

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Smartest guy in the room syndrome.

Imagine if they had shopped Hamilton harder and got a top 10 if not the Hanifin pick. Calgary was the third of the 3. You get Provorov or Werenski. And then maybe don't blow the 2 in a row.
That’s what should have happened. Good call

Reactions: Gordoff

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Interesting. I went on record as losing my shit when Barzal was passed over for Senyshyn and DeBrusk (I liked Zboril pick).

For years here I was told how great "Seny" was as he scored lots in OHL etc. Now, everyone was upset about Barzal on draft day. There are about 20 former Sweeney apologists in this thread who are full of shit. Don't know which ones you are and don't care, but you know... so shut up.

On a side note: I even went on the Islanders board and told them they were idiots for ranking HoSang above Barzy in their prospect rankings... but now they all instantly knew he was the greatest pick as well. You bet.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
If Senyshyn had worked out to even JDB level we wouldn't be having this conversation and few would really be complaining and certainly not to this level, so yeah, it is definitely some 20/20 hindsight. By the way, I am not defending the pick- it has turned out suck so far for the Bruins and will almost certainly never be what it could have been. But there was a reason they picked Senyshyn there, and it wasn't because "oh let's prove how smart we are" like some say. That is as indefensible as the pick because I don't imagine there is any evidence that was ever the case. It was just a bad pick based on some kind of faulty reasoning about the team needs and the player himself. Why can't it just be that, and you all can complain about it for the next ten years. Why does it have to be personal attacks on Sweeney or Keith Gretzky or whoever banged the table for ZS?

The problem was it was a terrible value pick. Senyshyn would have been a great value as a 3rd or 4th rounder, not as a mid-1st. He was a 4th liner on a stacked team with limited minutes that showed promise. That's not a mid-1st pick. There are wildly varying opinions & success after about the top 20 ranked players. But you shouldn't gamble on a project at pick 15. It's terrible value. Danton Heinen was a great, under the radar value pick, IN THE 4TH ROUND. ZS was a horrible horrible pick which I would argue has cost the franchise 1 Stanley Cup.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Ok now let’s just be honest here. If we take Zaboril DeBrusk and either Connor or Barzal we are great. I would even give in to a Senny Zaboril Barzal and be ok. But what we did in the first round in just incompetent.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The problem was it was a terrible value pick. Senyshyn would have been a great value as a 3rd or 4th rounder, not as a mid-1st. He was a 4th liner on a stacked team with limited minutes that showed promise. That's not a mid-1st pick. There are wildly varying opinions & success after about the top 20 ranked players. But you shouldn't gamble on a project at pick 15. It's terrible value. Danton Heinen was a great, under the radar value pick, IN THE 4TH ROUND. ZS was a horrible horrible pick which I would argue has cost the franchise 1 Stanley Cup.

Not arguing that at all, if you read my post. It was a suck pick based on a terrible reasoning. No question. It's all about the motive assigned to Sweeney and team in making it.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That’s what should have happened. Good call

IIRC Boston thought they had a deal in place to move up using their 3 picks (which was their plan) so they could draft one of the top d-men, but at the last minute the other team backed out.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
do you want to know who the consensus 13/14/15 prospects were in 2015 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings

if we went with the consensus picks we would have timo meier, nick merkley and evgeny svechnikov.

now you might tell me that meier wasnt available and that kyle connor would be the higest rated kid {remember we are being told that the team thought barzal wasnt available}

honestly... going with consensus picks isnt everything its cracked up to be

so then we got carlo at 37 and lauzon at 52... other than anthony cirelli is there a single player drafted better than carlo? and id put lauzon in the top 5 too... thats 2 amazingly good picks

3rd round we went with vladar... i dont think there was a better goalie we missed on
----------------------------------------
in 2016 the consensus was 2016 NHL Draft Consensus Rankings

we picked 14 and 29... the consenus picks were dante fabbro and william bitten... fabbro hasnt barely cracked nashville yet... and bitten fell all the way to the third round before busting... shows us what consensus picks equal :)

we grabbed lingren at 49... a guess adam fox is the only player taken later that was better? or do you all like victor mete?

----------------------------------
in 2017 https://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-draft-final-consensus-rankings/ the consensus 18 pick was klim kostin. we did miss out on robert thomas... but I feel Vaakainen will still develop. our 52 pick in second round jack studnicka was the best player available

its early to be grading the 2017 draft or more recent drafts.... 11 picks in the top 2 rounds in the first 3 years of sweeneys drafting... 5 of our 6 second round picks are aces... in the first round we might have been better off going with thomas than vaakainen and we all regret not gettting a bigger impact player in 2015 but thats just 4 out of the 6 picks we didnt get the best player available

heres what we got to show for our 11 picks in these 3 years

jack studnicka/jake debrusk {couple bonafide second liners}
Zach Senyshyn/Trent Federic/Jacob Forbaska {jury is out}

Vaikainen/McAvoy {potentially a top pair defense}
Lauzon/Carlo {potentially a second pair defense}
Lindgren/Zboril {I think these guys are going to play too}

this is actually very good drafting record.. outstanding second round success...

1 impact player
3 top 10 players
2 guys already in NHL
2 prospects we think have potential to be top 10 players
and then just 3 guys we are worried are busts

id like to see any other team that has 8 of their top 11 picks looking this solid

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
do you want to know who the consensus 13/14/15 prospects were in 2015 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings

if we went with the consensus picks we would have timo meier, nick merkley and evgeny svechnikov.

now you might tell me that meier wasnt available and that kyle connor would be the higest rated kid {remember we are being told that the team thought barzal wasnt available}

honestly... going with consensus picks isnt everything its cracked up to be

That's a little disingenuous framing, since obviously people mean picking the highest rated player left when they say go by consensus. In this case it would've been Barzal (9th), Connor (12th) and Meier (13th). Considering the scoring issues the Bruins have, those three would be a pretty decent addition to the current crop.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I remember reading at the time on this thread that Connor told the B's he wouldn't sign with them but finish out his college career and do a Vesey.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I remember reading at the time on this thread that Connor told the B's he wouldn't sign with them but finish out his college career and do a Vesey.
I've seen that too, but I think that's complete BS. We've seen it time and time again that when the Bruins screw up, they leak some "information" to the bobos in the media who carry their water to make them not look as stupid. "Seguin needed a guard outside of his room! He's a maniac!" "Hamilton demanded a trade (*cough* even though Sweeney denied that he did *cough*)!" "They thought they had the deal for Iginla!" "We thought we had the deal lined up for Edler to replace Seidenberg!"

So, we're supposed to believe that Connor only told one team (the Bruins) he didn't want to play with them? The same team that went to the SCF just 2 years before? The same team that won the President's Trophy just 1 year before? The same team that just missed the playoffs on the last day of the season when they were decimated by injuries to Krejci and the blueline, and would've clinched a playoff spot at least a week earlier had they had a fraction of those injuries (namely, Krejci)? The same team that had Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand and Rask all in their primes at ages 30 or under? The same team that had 3 young, exciting players in Hamilton, Pastrnak and Spooner (the Lucic-Spooner-Pastrnak line was magic in the 2nd half of the season)? But yet, he wanted to play in freaking Winnipeg? HA! I don't buy it for a second. It smells like Bruins PR BS to deflect from the fact that Sweeney, Neely and the scouting staff were complete and utter morons that night (and frankly, that entire weekend). To deflect from the fact that they missed on 2 studs (Barzal and Connor) who fell to them in a GENERATIONAL DRAFT in order to take 2 reaches (DeBrusk and Senyshyn) who were not only vastly inferior players to Connor and Barzal at THE TIME of the draft, but have proven to be vastly inferior players just 5 years later.

member 96824

That's a little disingenuous framing, since obviously people mean picking the highest rated player left when they say go by consensus. In this case it would've been Barzal (9th), Connor (12th) and Meier (13th). Considering the scoring issues the Bruins have, those three would be a pretty decent addition to the current crop.

Not to mention 2016 is all messed up too. How is Will Bitten (29) the top ranked consensus pick over Alex DeBrincat(22) or Fabbro (14) over Chychrun(9).

Haven’t gone through the rest but I’m sure they follow the same flawed logic.

Reactions: Lo97

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
These were posted in the original thread, but I'll post them here as well. These are the draft rankings from 2015.

When the Bruins were picking 13-15, here were the best players available (average ranking) of all 11 lists:

Mathew Barzal (8.5)
Kyle Connor (11.5)
Nick Merkley (16.1)
Evgeny Svechnikov (16.9)
Travis Konecny (18.0)
Colin White (20.7)
Thomas Chabot (21.7)
Joel Eriksson Ek (22.3)
Jakub Zboril (22.5)
Brock Boeser (23.7)
Jake DeBrusk (25.1)

Senyshyn's highest ranking on any list was...wait for it...39

Now, when factoring in just the lists that many on the main board find to be the most reputable (McKenzie, ISS, McKeen's, FC, THN, THW), here were the best players available at picks 13-15:

Mathew Barzal (8.5)
Kyle Connor (12.3)
Travis Konecny (14.8)
Nick Merkley (16.8)
Colin White (17.2)
Evgeny Svechnikov (17.8)
Jakub Zboril (20.7)
Thomas Chabot (20.8)
Joel Eriksson Ek (21.8)
Brock Boeser (26.0)
Jake DeBrusk (26.8)
Zach Senyshyn (45.0)