Rumor: Parayko to the Leafs

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He did have a tough playoffs and was clearly missing Bouwmeester, but he is still definitely a #2 guy that can carry a defensive workload. He also is a RHD that can give Toronto a ton of options.

Pair him with Rielly to give Rielly a longer leash, or with Muzzin in the dying minutes of a game with a lead and this team is instantly a much better team.

Would love to see Boston and their douchie dirty forwards try to crash the net with him guarding Andy ...

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Parayko is signed for 2 more years before hes a UFA

AJ is a 2nd line type of forward, albeit coming off a tough injury filled year.

Lili still has a decent ceiling.

The 15th in a deep draft is always valuable.

Just last year Trouba got the 21st and Pionk... and remember Pionk wasnt nearly what he is now when they acquired him. He was basically a 3rd pair dman.

Blues save cap space, which is an asset.

I think a lot of ppl are vastly underating this package. If Parayko was signed for like 5-6 yrs then sure, it's not gonna get it done but given a comparable last yr, I'm really not so sure it's as laughable as y'all are making it out to be.

Yeah, when you step away and take a look at it from both team's respective perspectives, it's not so crazy and there is definitely enough meat to the parts to at least have a conversation. Not saying that this is even being discussed or if a deal would look just like this but to say that these 2 teams don't line up as good trade partners is just being ignorant to what has been done in the past.

This is the Phenuef trade albeit I'd say the Blues would be getting a better package than the Flames did, as they should.

Last edited:

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
So when the Leafs acquired Jake Muzzin
we gave up a 1st (22nd overall)
Grundstrom
Durzi
Both 2nd round picks.

I would say Colton is a slightly better D plus a premium required for RHD
So Muzzin was 22nd overall plus 2-2nd round prospects

This trade rumour is 15th overall in a strong draft, a 20 goal winger Johnsson who is better than Grundstrom, and Lily who is a 1st round RHD prospect rather than a 2nd round prospect.

A decidedly better package than the Muzzin deal.

Great call! I didn't even think to compare this to the Muzzin deal. It's not as crazy as people think. That's pretty darn close to fair for the Blues if the rumours are true.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander for Parayko might be the start of a trade, if I was looking at it from Blues perspective, and I would also want a young Dman in Sandin/Dermott included in that to replace Colton.

From a Leafs perspective I would bundle all the AJ/Kerfoot , 1st, and young dman I could to make this happen but that is more wishful thinking I believe.

Blues however might be inclined to take as little contract back as possible so that after this trade they could resign their captain Pietrangelo.

So Robertson + Sandin + 1st (15thOA) = is the equivalent of 2 X 1sts and 2nd.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander for Parayko might be the start of a trade, if I was looking at it from Blues perspective, and I would also want a young Dman in Sandin/Dermott included in that to replace Colton.

From a Leafs perspective I would bundle all the AJ/Kerfoot , 1st, and young dman I could to make this happen but that is more wishful thinking I believe.

Blues however might be inclined to take as little contract back as possible so that after this trade they could resign their captain Pietrangelo.

I don't think Blues have the leverage to shoot for the moon on a salary shedding trade. Time isn't on their side, as Pietrangelo hits the open market in a little over a month, and once he's on the UFA market, all bets are off.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I don't think Blues have the leverage to shoot for the moon on a salary shedding trade. Time isn't on their side, as Pietrangelo hits the open market in a little over a month, and once he's on the UFA market, all bets are off.

Precisely. In fact, if Alex goes to the open market, he is as good as gone. They wouldn't burn 7 weeks of discussions (plus how many smaller, "feeler" preliminary discussions throughout the year I'm sure) to allow him to get to the free market. If he does, it's because they decided they can't afford him.

A trade with the Leafs is them making a clear decision and finding a team that offers them quite a decent return. If Leafs don't make this type of deal, I'd like them to aim high and get AP. He's the better player and a clear shift in Leaf fortunes on their back end.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Agreed but just because Pie might hit the market doesn't mean he is leaving either, he could allow his team to create space and that space doesn't need to be Parayko necessarily either. I bet Blues would like to keep both as option #1. I'm sure they would prefer to move Brayden Schenn or Jaden Schwartz for futures instead of Parayko for futures. IMO

Just like if Leafs wanted to add Pietrangelo as UFA , we wouldn't want them to trade Reilly to free up the cap space either and prefer to clear out the middle forwards to make space.

So from that perspective that is where I see Blues having the leverage to demand a strong return for Colton as ideally they really don't want to move him if possible and their not shopping him their listening to offers and then deciding if that return is worth dealing a top 4 Dman that has lots of value on the market and not let cap space devalue that.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why I don't think Leafs have enough ammunition to outbid others for Parayko and why this rumour has logic flaws.

Of Kapanen, AJ and Kerfoot I think Kappy had the most trade value thus he is the one dealt at the moment. All 3 shopped and the best return available determined who was dealt.

However you have to believe if this rumour is serious that Dubas must have tried Kapanen + 1st in 2021 + Lil/Dermott for Parayko first.

Then when he couldn't, or STL declined that offer, he dealt Kapanen for futures 1st + prospect and cap space.

So now to turn around and deal a lesser older forward with a bigger cap hit in AJ/Kerfoot + 1st + Lil etc for Parayko seems even less likely to succeed then the original attempt would have. IMO

Other teams with more cap space and better offers could beat the Leafs offer on the table.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think you give St. Louis that package. AJ, 15th, Liljegren. Sign Gudas and the d core looks way better than it did in previous years. We don’t need a superstar on D. We just need physical dman who can also move the puck and change the dynamic.

I’d also still move on from Kerfoot even if he isn’t apart of this deal.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Why I don't think Leafs have enough ammunition to outbid others for Parayko and why this rumour has logic flaws.

Of Kapanen, AJ and Kerfoot I think Kappy had the most trade value thus he is the one dealt at the moment. All 3 shopped and the best return available determined who was dealt.

However you have to believe if this rumour is serious that Dubas must have tried Kapanen + 1st in 2021 + Lil/Dermott for Parayko first.

Then when he couldn't, or STL declined that offer, he dealt Kapanen for futures 1st + prospect and cap space.

So now to turn around and deal a lesser forward with a bigger cap hit in AJ/Kerfoot + 1st + Lil etc for Parayko seems even less likely to succeed then the original attempt. IMO

this rumour started after Toronto acquired the first: so while I get what you are trying to say. I think Dubas acquired the first and then started discussion with St. Louis. Kapanen was only rumoured to be offered to Carolina prior to the Pittsburgh deal.

I do think the Parayko deal will get done because STL wants to keep Pietrangelo and this will likely be the best way to do so.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Agreed but just because Pie might hit the market doesn't mean he is leaving either, he could allow his team to create space and that space doesn't need to be Parayko necessarily either. I bet Blues would like to keep both as option #1. I'm sure they would prefer to move Brayden Schenn or Jaden Schwartz for futures instead of Parayko for futures. IMO

Just like if Leafs wanted to add Pietrangelo as UFA , we wouldn't want them to trade Reilly to free up the cap space either and prefer to clear out the middle forwards to make space.

So from that perspective that is where I see Blues having the leverage to demand a strong return for Colton as ideally they really don't want to move him if possible and their not shopping him their listening to offers and then deciding if that return is worth dealing a top 4 Dman that has lots of value on the market and not let cap space devalue that.

It's true that Pietrangelo hitting the market doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving. An eight year contract is no longer applicable then though. That evens out the playing field in that aspect. I don't think retaining both Pietrangelo and Parayko is an option for cap reasons and maybe also it not being ideal to keep playing an RHD on his offhand side. Parayko does seem to be too important of a player to trade for futures, unless options are that limited or the futures are that good. STL would essentially have to retain one of the two defenders though. Too much of a blow to lose both.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
this rumour started after Toronto acquired the first: so while I get what you are trying to say. I think Dubas acquired the first and then started discussion with St. Louis. Kapanen was only rumoured to be offered to Carolina prior to the Pittsburgh deal..

What I'm actually saying is these rumormongers are simply making crap up, because its flawed logic or wishful thinking, with direct target marketing campaign towards Leafs audience knowing the need and understanding the hits and internet chatter such a hypothetical rumour would generate. ;)

No question Leafs would :heart: LOVE :heart: Parayko and would love to deal spare parts to land a big, minute munching Top 4 RHD but so would 20 or more other NHL teams if he was on the market.

If Dubas only offered Kapanen to Carolina as rumoured and then found out that Kapanen + 1st + prospect Dman could have landed him Parayko but now that ship has sailed, then I would conclude that either our GM is clueless or the rumour is fictional & logic flawed because its made up and I would lean heavily on the latter here.

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

As much i would loveeeeeee to get Parayko, not at that price. Sandin looks like a very promising top4D, if we can get Schneider in the draft he projects to be a solid top 4 shutdown D-man as well, and Robertson is breaking out. Over payment imo, I wouldn't move Sandin I think he's the real deal.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Why would we have to believe that? It doesn't make sense that he would start with a better offer than the one that is currently rumoured.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's true that Pietrangelo hitting the market doesn't necessarily mean he's leaving. An eight year contract is no longer applicable then though. That evens out the playing field in that aspect. I don't think retaining both Pietrangelo and Parayko is an option for cap reasons and maybe also it not being ideal to keep playing an RHD on his offhand side. Parayko does seem to be too important of a player to trade for futures, unless options are that limited or the futures are that good. STL would essentially have to retain one of the two defenders though. Too much of a blow to lose both.

Something to keep in mind here is that as per the CBA, teams are allowed to temporarily exceed the hard cap ceiling by +10% in the offseason and then need only to be cap compliant by the time the next 2020-21 season starts. (rumorued Dec).

With a $81.5 mil flat cap that gives the Blues and any team +$8.15 mil above their current cap space limits.. Blues could sign Pietrangelo to an 8 year X $8 mil deal today and nothing could prevent that as its completely within the rules and likely a desired outcome to boot.

As you pointed out only Blues can offer the 8th year and all others only 7 years which puts the Blues in the drivers seat on term and then therefore contract amount as a $8 X 8 ($64 mil) > $8 X 7 ($56 mil) UFA offer at same AAV. On the UFA market other teams would need to offer > $ 9 mil per (ie $9.14 mil X 7 = $64 mil) for AP to receive similar money to his own team to stay.

So moving Parayko is not mandatory nor pressing need to re-sign Pietrangelo today, and they know at any time thereafter once he is secured, they can always listen to offers for Colton and likely have lots of interest league wide. If AP were leaving and only Blues management would know this at present based on contract discussion internally at this time then dealing Parayko now or any time wouldn't make much sense at all from their standpoint and move on from both their twin towers on D. Besides a recent Stanley Cup team 2019 doesn't move on from both their top 2 dmen if they wish to continue to compete for more Stanley Cups in the present.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Liljegren was drafted 3 years ago, where he was taken is completely irrelevant to his current value.

Everyone's down to trade Nylander for a defenseman because ahhh this team needs to compete now but then it comes to trading a pick we didn't even have until last week and a prospect who's not even guaranteed to make the team next year for a 6'6 27yo top pairing RHD and y'all acting like we've got 8 other girls ready to go to prom with us. Insane. You wouldn't find a better roster talent in:roster talent out trade than this. I'd get Kyle Dubas' initials tattooed if this is something he actually got Armstrong to consider.
I agree. There is always a risk but it has more to do with health and the system that the team employs. This isnt a scoring dman we are talking about but he fills a gaping hole in our defensive depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad