Rumor: Parayko to the Leafs

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Right so Parayko is a world beater and we're giving up scraps... got it.

Parayko is good but definitely not worth that package.

Liljegren's development is trending towards being at the very least a top 4 defensemen by historical comparisons and by all accounts we refused to give him up in the Muzzin deal despite what somebody who was still employed by the Kings at the time tried to spin (If he really thinks Durzi is a better prospect his team should fire him immediately).

Johnsson has averaged 44 points per 82 games so far in his young career and if you can name another 3rd/4th line tweener that can do that I would be extremely surprised. He's a top 9 forward on most teams and a top 6 on some.

I would be okay with giving up Johnsson and the 1st in this deal but that is much closer to fair value on a guy like Parayko, especially for a team in a cap bind like the Blues that have just $2M to re-sign their captain and Dunn.
No bud. As a leafs fan ill tell you ofnyou can get parayko for that you do it asap and run. Run all the way to a cup next year.

AJ is a solid 3rd line guy. Liljegren probably ends up a middle pairing guy.

Parayko fits right in on thebfirst line and a rielly parayko pairing is possibly the best pairing in the league.

Reactions: ToneDog

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Why are threads like this a thing? They are just baitey. If its been proven its likely bullshit and from non-reputable sources can we please remove the yellow rumor tag?
In fairness as silly as it sounds it actually IS being discussed in quite a few places.

Reactions: Bluelines

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Parayko is signed for 2 more years before hes a UFA

AJ is a 2nd line type of forward, albeit coming off a tough injury filled year.

Lili still has a decent ceiling.

The 15th in a deep draft is always valuable.

Just last year Trouba got the 21st and Pionk... and remember Pionk wasnt nearly what he is now when they acquired him. He was basically a 3rd pair dman.

Blues save cap space, which is an asset.

I think a lot of ppl are vastly underating this package. If Parayko was signed for like 5-6 yrs then sure, it's not gonna get it done but given a comparable last yr, I'm really not so sure it's as laughable as y'all are making it out to be.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think they'd entertain trading Parayko, which would help them re-up Pietrangelo, while adding much needed forward depth... But you're probably looking at something like..

1st round pick 2020 (15th overall)
2nd round pick 2020 or 2021
Andreas Johnson
Timothy Liljegren

They're going to want a some very high end futures, without taking back much money. They might even ask for Robertson instead of Johnson, if they believe he has more upside and saves them a couple million dollars per year.

Last edited:

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If Parayko was a pending UFA and traded at the deadline what do you think he would get? Curious.

I mean, sure he has another yr on his deal which is great, but then again, a 1st rounder from a playoff team at the deadline is #20-31. This is #15 in the deepest draft in a decade.

Guys like AJ arent often added to deadline deals either.

I dont know. A lot of people are enamored by the name and cloud their judgement what these types of guys actually get. He has 2 yrs left! They arent getting the earth, moon and stars here.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If Parayko was a pending UFA and traded at the deadline what do you think he would get? Curious.

I mean, sure he has another yr on his deal which is great, but then again, a 1st rounder from a playoff team at the deadline is #20-31. This is #15 in the deepest draft in a decade.

Guys like AJ arent often added to deadline deals either.

I dont know. A lot of people are enamored by the name and cloud their judgement what these types of guys actually get. He has 2 yrs left! They arent getting the earth, moon and stars here.

I think a 3rd line, energy winger, with a 50 point ceiling, who can slide up the lineup if need be, a future bottom pairing RHD, with 2nd pairing upside, the 15th overall pick and 2nd round pick the following year sounds about right... They need wingers. They need some picks to keep them strong going forward. They are also going to want a D-man that will definitely play and slot behind Pietrangelo / Dunn in the future. Liljegren fits that bill.

Most of all, they want to take back as little money as possible because of the flat cap.

Reactions: Erndog

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No bud. As a leafs fan ill tell you ofnyou can get parayko for that you do it asap and run. Run all the way to a cup next year.

AJ is a solid 3rd line guy. Liljegren probably ends up a middle pairing guy.

Parayko fits right in on thebfirst line and a rielly parayko pairing is possibly the best pairing in the league.

Would not be the first time they played together....

morgan-rielly-celebrates-with-colton-parayko-of-team-north-america-picture-id608572344

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Oh come on, the Leafs aren't getting Parayko and certainly not without giving up Marner/Nylander. I think the Pietrangelo speculation has been silly but it's way more likely than the OP.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Both guys are probably as reliable as the homeless guys hanging out by the Scotia Bank arena when it comes to runor accuracy

I thought I saw the Parayko scenario being built up on Hfboards and then repackaged as a rumour a day later.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think Blues will do it bc it only save them 2mil or so, still need a lot to sign Pietra.

Reactions: Buds17

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
This trade is good for neither team. Essentially trading a 1st round right handed dman with immense potential, another first rounder, and a 2nd/3rd line player. Yea not worth it. For St. Louis they are getting immediately worse. I don’t see how this isn’t a fair return though. It’s not pietrangelo

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephen

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think Blues will do it bc it only save them 2mil or so, still need a lot to sign Pietra.

I think it works for them financially, since they can take a portion of the Parayko contract and add it to Petro's current salary to make it work.

But the question becomes, why help St. Louis? If they can't find a good deal it forces them to let Petro go, or it forces them to sell off a number of other pieces too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad