Rumor: Parayko to the Leafs

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I've seen it from multiple sources that are some what reputable some not so reputable. Seems like a gross underpayment by the Leafs.

Johnnson (Drafted 7th round, 202 overall) CH $3,400,000 ( Expires after 2022-23 season)
Liljegren (Drafted 1st round, 17th overall) CH $863k (expires after 2021-22 season)
2020 1st Round (15th overall)

for

Parayko (3rd round , 86th overall) CH $5,500,000 (Expires after 2021-22 season)

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
There is no way that gets it done. That's a laughably bad deal

I agree, its a guy who looks to be a 3rd / 4th line tweener, a guy that it appears we have given up on and tried to trade to LA for Muzzin plus a middle 1st rounder for a legit top pairing All-Star d-man. A man can dream though ...

Reactions: DarkKnight

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
So St Louis loses Parayko and Petro in the same offseason they find out Tarasenko is like our most of next year?

Hope this guy in the video isn’t your source

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I agree, its a guy who looks to be a 3rd / 4th line tweener, a guy that it appears we have given up on and tried to trade to LA for Muzzin plus a middle 1st rounder for a legit top pairing All-Star d-man. A man can dream though ...
Right so Parayko is a world beater and we're giving up scraps... got it.

Parayko is good but definitely not worth that package.

Liljegren's development is trending towards being at the very least a top 4 defensemen by historical comparisons and by all accounts we refused to give him up in the Muzzin deal despite what somebody who was still employed by the Kings at the time tried to spin (If he really thinks Durzi is a better prospect his team should fire him immediately).

Johnsson has averaged 44 points per 82 games so far in his young career and if you can name another 3rd/4th line tweener that can do that I would be extremely surprised. He's a top 9 forward on most teams and a top 6 on some.

I would be okay with giving up Johnsson and the 1st in this deal but that is much closer to fair value on a guy like Parayko, especially for a team in a cap bind like the Blues that have just $2M to re-sign their captain and Dunn.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

What in the hell. We have not given up on Liljegren and reputable sources said we refused to trade Liljegren in that deal.

It was like Coliacavo or Dreger that was like "LA preferred Durzi" ya ok f***ing liars.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Still a bit unsure about trading away "two 1sts" when one of them is a young defenceman on an ELC. Assuming a trade is going to be the path taken to upgrade the blueline instead of free agency, I'm hopeful that something else could be added to the 15th overall, if necessary and possible.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
What in the hell. We have not given up on Liljegren and reputable sources said we refused to trade Liljegren in that deal.

It was like Coliacavo or Dreger that was like "LA preferred Durzi" ya ok f***ing liars.
TSN have some sort of "Liljegren sucks" memo going around. I've heard nothing but negative stuff from them about him. It's a fine example of group think.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He'd be a great partner for Rielly but I can't see the Blues giving him up for our scraps.

If they need to trade him to keep Pietrangelo then it will be for immediate help, he's far from a cap dump.

Imo your looking at starting the convo with Nylander with other pieces incorporated. Idk who needs to add though, I suck at valuing.

Personally I'd keep Liljegren and try to pair him with Muzzin and see if they create a balanced pairing if we could get Rielly a proper partner first.

This is how I see our D trending in the near future

Rielly - Shutdown RHD
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Top 4 RHD (not Holl)

I have Sandin and Liljegren as not Top 4 D but due to style of play and Handedness I have Liljegren in Top 4, with Muzzin playing the stay at home in the pair

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011

You're WAY undervaluing what we're sending the other way. AJ is legit 3rd/2nd line tweener, not 3rd and 4th. And LA WANTED Lilly, we wouldn't give him up. And where do get the idea that we've given up on him? He's still a right shot D with tremendous upside...and still barely 20. Plus, that pick is a mid 1st rounder in a very good draft. That being said, I still don't think it's enough, plus there's not enough cap going out to fit Parayko anyway.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Right so Parayko is a world beater and we're giving up scraps... got it.

I would be okay with giving up Johnsson and the 1st in this deal but that is much closer to fair value on a guy like Parayko, especially for a team in a cap bind like the Blues that have just $2M to re-sign their captain and Dunn.

Lol toronto fans don't you change one bit.

Re: bolded

Ya, that would be a great deal for us, but the Blues would definitely be getting better offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He'd be a great partner for Rielly but I can't see the Blues giving him up for our scraps.

If they need to trade him to keep Pietrangelo then it will be for immediate help, he's far from a cap dump.

Imo your looking at starting the convo with Nylander with other pieces incorporated. Idk who needs to add though, I suck at valuing.

Personally I'd keep Liljegren and try to pair him with Muzzin and see if they create a balanced pairing if we could get Rielly a proper partner first.

This is how I see our D trending in the near future

Rielly - Shutdown RHD
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Top 4 RHD (not Holl)

I have Sandin and Liljegren as not Top 4 D but due to style of play and Handedness I have Liljegren in Top 4, with Muzzin playing the stay at home in the pair

I think that is the thinking in St Lou, if it comes down to a cap squeeze, they would rather AP over Parayko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->