Rumor: Parayko to the Leafs

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
No source at all was provided, and as per first mod post in the thread none have been given.

likely mods kept it up because there is nothing else to talk about, but doesn’t mean those who visit the boards less frequently need to be tricked into clicking yet another garbage trade proposal disguising as a “rumor”

Re: Links and Sources...Seems a reasonable application of the tag: Rumor. It also doesn't seem to be what the member disagreed with. I didn't read anything (from the quote) redefining the word itself, which was the sticking point for the other member. The quote distinguishes the source of the rumor from the definition of rumor itself in the manner exampled i.e. Bob McKenzie.

Perhaps I missed an earlier point, but is it safe to say HFBoards doesn't use a different definition of the word rumor?

Appreciate the find and reply.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Perhaps I missed an earlier point, but is it safe to say HFBoards doesn't use a different definition of the word rumor?

the poster highlighted that definition of rumour has unknown source. rumour on this board requires a source.

i don’t know why you’re struggling so much and dragging it out.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What seems more preferable, Parayko at the price being discussed or Pietrangelo as UFA?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What seems more preferable, Parayko at the price being discussed or Pietrangelo as UFA?
You get Parayko for two more years at about 3 mil less than Piet will be, plus you’re trading cap space back in a Parayko trade, so even more “room”.. Given this team’s predicament I think Parayko is a more reasonable add, not as good obviously, but...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
reading through this thread has me kind of baffled tbh, in it I've learned that Colton has been an NHL All-star(all rookie team sure but all-star?), he's the superest ever Dman to ever play in the NHL, he's obviously better then any Leafs D currently on the roster.

Baffled? why baffled, because I've seen him play, he's definitely good, but he just doesn't seem to dominate games

He's definitely a top 30 Dman, heck maybe even top 20, and yes, he most definitely makes the Leafs blueline one of the formidable bluelines in the east, but that's one of, not the only one.

I'd love for the Leafs to be able to acquire him, he would definitely become a part of the solution, but they'd still have a long way to go before being able to stand with the elite of the east

I've been watching the Stars/Avs series, wowzers what great hockey, even with a guy like Parayko I wouldn't have any confidence that the Leafs could beat either one of those teams in a 7 game series, same goes for the Lightning, Jackets, and possibly Caps, Isles and B's in a 7 game series!

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Re: Links and Sources...Seems a reasonable application of the tag: Rumor. It also doesn't seem to be what the member disagreed with. I didn't read anything (from the quote) redefining the word itself, which was the sticking point for the other member. The quote distinguishes the source of the rumor from the definition of rumor itself in the manner exampled i.e. Bob McKenzie.

Appreciate the find and reply.

While your attempting to illustrate the fallacy of his thought process, he just will choose what ever will allow him to believe he is right. You wont get the answer you are looking for.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd like to say Pietrangelo. Additional cap room has to be made, but NHLers would be dealt for that... hopefully without including a prospect on an ELC and a high pick. A lot depends on the players that would have to be moved, what those trades look like, and the contract given to Pietrangelo. He'd be more expensive than Parayko. He'd also figure to be signed for a longer term compared to what's left on Parayko's deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'd like to say Pietrangelo. Additional cap room has to be made, but NHLers would be dealt for that... hopefully without including a prospect on an ELC and a high pick. A lot depends on the players that would have to be moved, what those trades look like, and the contract given to Pietrangelo. He'd be more expensive than Parayko. He'd also figure to be signed for a longer term compared to what's left on Parayko's deal.
Pretty much my thoughts. Tough call, I think I lean toward Parayko at the moment but would be delighted with either.

I would assume if Parayko was obtained he would be here long term, most likely longer than Pietrangelo.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Pretty much my thoughts. Tough call, I think I lean toward Parayko at the moment but would be delighted with either.

I would assume if Parayko was obtained he would be here long term, most likely longer than Pietrangelo.

The team should definitely have a solid plan in mind to retain Parayko for his next contract if they are willing to trade away what it would take to acquire him. It will be interesting to see which of these two actually reaches his respective market (UFA or trade).

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The team should definitely have a solid plan to retain Parayko for his next contract if they are willing to trade away what it would take to acquire him. It will be interesting to see which of these two actually reaches his respective market (UFA or trade).
IMO, they will find another way to manage their cap and both will play for the Blues next year.
Hope I'm wrong.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
IMO, they will find another way to manage their cap and both will play for the Blues next year.
Hope I'm wrong.

Anything is possible. I just don't know how realistic it would be for them to continue to have an RHD on their off hand side. Certainly shouldn't play any of them on the third pairing.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I've seen it from multiple sources that are some what reputable some not so reputable. Seems like a gross underpayment by the Leafs.

Johnnson (Drafted 7th round, 202 overall) CH $3,400,000 ( Expires after 2022-23 season)
Liljegren (Drafted 1st round, 17th overall) CH $863k (expires after 2021-22 season)
2020 1st Round (15th overall)

for

Parayko (3rd round , 86th overall) CH $5,500,000 (Expires after 2021-22 season)

LMAO.

What a load of crap.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
We have to move space yes but it's not a benefit to a Parayko trade since we can get value back for basically all of our roster players that we would move out in a trade with the Blues.

Id still like to get Parayko but Pietrangelo plus assets from roster players traded sounds intriguing to me.

Reactions: teddygmr

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

IMO it comes down to 'whats the best asset move'.

If you bring in Pietr and need to move multiple contracts out, what is the value of what your getting back?
In a flat cap world, when other teams know you need to shed $, the value you get back will be low I assume. You could always risk it and trade the guys before the contract is signed, but thats a game of Russian Roulette.

Parayako costs known assets for now, which make it harder to bring in/replenish the team with cheap contracts throughout the length of the big 4's contracts.
Easiest way to offset having a few massive contracts is to keep your pipeline filled with 'plug and play' guys on ELC's or low contracts.
You can always still move out a contract or two to get more young assets, but may get better deals as you wont be as painted into a corner.

Parayako being a few million cheaper for the next few years also means you can probably add an additional good UFA D in free agency.

So is it...
Pieterangelo
+ Whatever we get for a AJ/Kerfoot/Engval/Freddie, with deflated values
- Whatever it costs to replace them
vs
Parayako
- The assets it costs to acquire him
+An additional UFA D?

Its a hard equation IMO to properly weigh out until you have a general understanding of what AJ/Kerfoot/Engval could get, and the cost of finding a replacement for those rolls.
Its probably easier for a GM to make some assumptions around what UFA mid/depth D men will get than the value of your guys once the cap squeeze is public.

This is what I assume the Leafs are internally trying to quantify right now.
  • Are we trading AJ/Engvall regardless of return? If so, when is the best time to do so to get maximized value (before trade? before free agency)
  • What hinders our ability to move Kerfoot/Freddie? What is the cost (in FA or a trade) to find a adequate replacement, and what does that look like?
  • Is our D core inherently better off running Pietro-Holl-Liljgren or Parayako - Holl - UFA D? How about in two years when Parayako gets a raise?
  • Does having a UFA D help Sandins development? How do you value Liljgren next year on an ELC vs a vet UFA guy at 3m? Is giving them both 3rd pairing time possible, and if not, who gets priority?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I would take the better and free asset. Then you definitely have to move Kerfoot/Johnsson but you would be adding assets for the future while keeping your best two young defensemen.
Considering we traded away a first rounder to move cap space last year, I'm not sure this idea of "free" in a cap world is correct.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Parayko would be a huge, welcome addition. Giving up Sandin or Liljegren in the package would hurt for sure, but Parayko could transform the team into a real contender.

Reactions: JayDog17

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

We would have to shed $ either way, I'd rather trade for Parayko. His next deal likely won't be too much more (~7 million or so) as he won't get enough PP time to racks up points, similar to Muzzin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad