Rumor: Parayko to the Leafs

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's not at all a silly trade from the Blues standpoint. Blues need cap space and have to decide who they will keep, IF they want to sign AP. That is almost certainly their first choice. You don't let a captain who helped you win the Cup last year and who wants to stay simply leave if you can find space for him, but no team wants to take on salary in an uncertain era. Cap space is gold right now.

Leafs would have him for two years, as they try and get the right formula together in short order. Blues would get a usable forward, a former first round pick/affordable D man AND a 1st round pick while shedding much needed cap space. Blues could then move one forward off their roster (or AJ) and save more money in hopes of keeping AP.

In some respect, Leafs would be overpaying. I'd like to see Dubas try to hold onto the 1st rounder for the trade deadline if possible as it seems he wants to be in on the action (assuming this team is a buyer then).

It would be strong pick up regardless and fulfill one major need they have, plus, add some more winning pedigree to the lineup. He's not AP, but he's an improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
It's not at all a silly trade from the Blues standpoint. Blues need cap space and have to decide who they will keep, IF they want to sign AP. That is almost certainly their first choice. You don't let a captain who helped you win the Cup last year and who wants to stay simply leave if you can find space for him, but no team wants to take on salary in an uncertain era. Cap space is gold right now.

Leafs would have him for two years, as they try and get the right formula together in short order. Blues would get a usable forward, a former first round pick, affordable D man AND a 1st round pick while shedding much needed cap space. Blues could then move one forward off their roster (or AJ) and save more money in hopes of keeping AP.

In some respect, Leafs would be overpaying. I'd like to see Dubas try to hold onto the 1st rounder for the trade deadline if possible as it seems he wants to be in on the action (assuming this team is a buyer then).

It would be strong pick up regardless and fulfill one major need they have, plus, add some more winning pedigree to the lineup. He's not AP, but he's an improvement.
The price is too steep tbh.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think it works for them financially, since they can take a portion of the Parayko contract and add it to Petro's current salary to make it work.

But the question becomes, why help St. Louis? If they can't find a good deal it forces them to let Petro go, or it forces them to sell off a number of other pieces too.

There are 29 other potential dance partners.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Just read this on twitter, imagine the Leafs work out a deal for Parayko (sending enough money to St Lou (Nylander?) and then sign AP to a UFA contract.... :)

Rielly-AP
Muzzin-Parayko
Dermott-Holl

Reactions: glue

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The price is too steep tbh.

Leafs would look at it as a trade of Kappy, AJ and Liljegen, plus Blues eating $2M of cap (that's approx. the differences in salary), in return for Parayko, Hallander, Rodrigues (do they use the $2M to qualify offer?).

If they don't sign him for $2M, they have that in the bank to apply as needed.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
parayko was available for Nylander when Blues were floating in teh basement of the league and were hoping to trade some of their players but dubas didnt wanna do that trade

now if this deal is remotely true we gonna part with 3 assets for one player? And to be honest i don't think this deal get parayko now

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
TSN have some sort of "Liljegren sucks" memo going around. I've heard nothing but negative stuff from them about him. It's a fine example of group think.

yeah tsn does this a lot the latest player was Kapanen button said “he’s not going to be a regular nhl player, no way” and tsn from that day on acted like he was a throw away piece in trades or a player with no value

this was before he made the leafs mind you, but a great example of the groupthink they come up with a spew regularly until it’s proven wrong (most cases) or right (occasionally)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Just read this on twitter, imagine the Leafs work out a deal for Parayko (sending enough money to St Lou (Nylander?) and then sign AP to a UFA contract.... :)

Rielly-AP
Muzzin-Parayko
Dermott-Holl

So basically...

hyman-matthews-marner
johnsson-tavares-bracco
mikheyev-Kerfoot-robertson
XXX-Jumbo-XXX

and that d-core; next season could be promising.....

but... pipe-dream LOL

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Right so Parayko is a world beater and we're giving up scraps... got it.

Parayko is good but definitely not worth that package.

Liljegren's development is trending towards being at the very least a top 4 defensemen by historical comparisons and by all accounts we refused to give him up in the Muzzin deal despite what somebody who was still employed by the Kings at the time tried to spin (If he really thinks Durzi is a better prospect his team should fire him immediately).

Johnsson has averaged 44 points per 82 games so far in his young career and if you can name another 3rd/4th line tweener that can do that I would be extremely surprised. He's a top 9 forward on most teams and a top 6 on some.

I would be okay with giving up Johnsson and the 1st in this deal but that is much closer to fair value on a guy like Parayko, especially for a team in a cap bind like the Blues that have just $2M to re-sign their captain and Dunn.

EcstaticShortAustralianshelduck-small.gif

You're adding a top pairing RHD with the only subtraction from the roster being Johnsson...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it works for them financially, since they can take a portion of the Parayko contract and add it to Petro's current salary to make it work.

But the question becomes, why help St. Louis? If they can't find a good deal it forces them to let Petro go, or it forces them to sell off a number of other pieces too.
They are taking in AJ’s salary. Unless it is the 15th overall pick plus Lilly.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just another click "rumor". Once the playoffs are over and the Blues have an idea of what Parayko can bring league wide, then they will be talking actual deals and that can't really get serious until they have a strong indication AP isn't returning. Might as well be just another pie in the sky trade proposal.

Reactions: Buds17

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Parayko is signed for 2 more years before hes a UFA

AJ is a 2nd line type of forward, albeit coming off a tough injury filled year.

Lili still has a decent ceiling.

The 15th in a deep draft is always valuable.

Just last year Trouba got the 21st and Pionk... and remember Pionk wasnt nearly what he is now when they acquired him. He was basically a 3rd pair dman.

Blues save cap space, which is an asset.

I think a lot of ppl are vastly underating this package. If Parayko was signed for like 5-6 yrs then sure, it's not gonna get it done but given a comparable last yr, I'm really not so sure it's as laughable as y'all are making it out to be.
Parayko is a top 20 dman in the league and a right hander at that. He also gives the leafs plenty of size at a great cap. This deal is a no brainer for Toronto.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
So when the Leafs acquired Jake Muzzin
we gave up a 1st (22nd overall)
Grundstrom
Durzi
Both 2nd round picks.

I would say Colton is a slightly better D plus a premium required for RHD
So Muzzin was 22nd overall plus 2-2nd round prospects

This trade rumour is 15th overall in a strong draft, a 20 goal winger Johnsson who is better than Grundstrom, and Lily who is a 1st round RHD prospect rather than a 2nd round prospect.

A decidedly better package than the Muzzin deal.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Leafs would look at it as a trade of Kappy, AJ and Liljegen, plus Blues eating $2M of cap (that's approx. the differences in salary), in return for Parayko, Hallander, Rodrigues (do they use the $2M to qualify offer?).

If they don't sign him for $2M, they have that in the bank to apply as needed.
Kappy trade is in the past. You can't use that being a great deal to justify geting less of a deal. That's not how it works lol. You only look at the relevant costs.

We're giving them a first round pick right handed dman, an actual first round pick and johnsson for a top4 d who gets overrated because of size.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

But if the Leafs could get Parayko, then it helps the Leafs...I don't think Pietro has a chance of coming to Toronto unless one of the core 4 gets moved...no cap space. And Parayko is still young, while Pietro is turning 31 years old.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
6'6", 230 lb, 27 year old 1st pairing RHD Stanley Cup champ...you take the deal if you're Dubas and you run as fast as you can.

Reactions: Notsince67

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
People need to understand the change in climate in the flat cap era. The Blues don't want to lose their captain and they don't have forwards they can afford to lose right now. Tarasenko just had his 3rd shoulder surgery. Nobody is saying that they want to trade Parayko, only that they might have to in order to re-sign their Captain and Vince Dunn.

15th overall allows them to draft a reasonably highly rated forward. Johnson will play on their third line and can move up the lineup if need be. He's very flexible as a checker or in a scoring role. Liljeren projects to be part of their top 6 within 2 years, which is hyper valuable. Add a 2nd round pick to that deal and the Blues almost can't say "no". Their management is responsible to keep them competitive for years to come. A potential deal with Toronto helps facilitate that, but Parayko isn't being dealt for free.

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If Dubas ever did this deal he should be dragged behind the Zamboni.

Why? So Toronto can have another D-man that gets killed by the cycle, a 3rd line forward, and a draft pick that won't help T.O. for 3 or 4 years?

Toronto has a 4-6 year window. Might as well build now. A 27 year old, #2 D-man with 6-7 years of high end play, sees Toronto through their window.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I agree, its a guy who looks to be a 3rd / 4th line tweener, a guy that it appears we have given up on and tried to trade to LA for Muzzin plus a middle 1st rounder for a legit top pairing All-Star d-man. A man can dream though ...
Wrong.
Don't believe everything you see.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Parayko is good but hes not nearly as good as leafs fans think

Watch some Blues games and you will see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad