OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What kind of flashbacks do you get from a Mickey Rourke?
Ha..ha....just watched the Jays game and had former Blue Jay pitchers on the brain, and not necessarily good ones.

But Nathan Rourke looks like an interesting QB prospect.....traditionally Canadians haven't fared very well at the position over the years in the CFL.....but sooner or later a Canadian QB has to break out of the mold.....and from what I understand Rourke was a good QB with a respected NCAA Div. I program.....so you never know.

Reactions: Hit the post

digger1188

Oct 13, 2020
Going to the game tomorrow. Should be interesting being surrounded by 33,000 melon heads!

Any predictions for the season ahead?

I’m not sure how Calgary slots in at last in in the west, with that management team, and head coach. They’ve been written off plenty of times and always end up being a top 3 team in the CFL, no matter how many new faces or injuries they’re dealing with.

West
1. Edmonton
2. Winnipeg
3. Saskatchewan
4. BC
5. Calgary

East
1. Hamilton
2. Montreal
3. Toronto
4. Ottawa

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina

Calgary at 5th was tough for me to put down, and probably my heart put BC ahead. At the same time, the whole west looks much better on paper. Based off the results from Week 1, Edmonton did not impress, and Calgary looked lacklustre as well. Edmonton might need to be a few rungs down. Lions and Riders might be the Jekyll and Hyde of our division :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know, considering that most of these players haven't played a down of football in two years, I thought the execution and level of play this weekend was pretty impressive.

Defenses look to be ahead of the offenses, other than the Riders-Lions game. Really good to see CFL football back, and the stadiums rocking.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Lions D has been tremendous tonight. Pass rush has given Bo Levi some issues and we’ve held Calgary to 6 points with 14 mins left.

Our Offence has been alright but we keep squandering opportunities.

Our Special Teams is our Achilles heel. I want Yamasaki to do well but the guy missed a 23 yarder to start the game. You could see the wind get taken out of our sales after that. He got the FG after, and hopefully he has some confidence moving forward if we don’t cut him.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
DBs more or less won the game. Offense sputtered after establishing good field position but thought Reilly was excellent. Lots to work on here and looking for some better running backs should be considered.

New Japanese kicker is a flop so far,

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Definitely need to find a kicker. Wanted to give the new kid the benefit of the doubt, but honestly I'm running out of patience.

But good-ish game overall. Always nice to beat Cowgary in anything. Levi-Mitchell being unable to aim was I admit a real surprise, but then it's been a while since I followed developments in the CFL...or since there were developments in the CFL to follow, for that matter.

Random thoughts:

--Reilly's arm looking strong.

--O-line looking better than the tissue paper resistance it provided the last time the team was on the field...but still not impressed with it.

--Rainey needs to get the ball on offence more.

--Nice to see Burham back...maybe one day I'll stop thinking his first name is Lester every time I see him.

--Lokombo with a strong game. Nice INT. Thanks for that by the way, Bo.

--Cute to see Dave Dickinson still carefully putting the playcard over his mouth to prevent lipreading in the last minutes even though he's wearing a mask.

Speaking of masks, live shot of the broadcast booth:

snowwhite_live-580x326.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Where is Paul McCallum when you really need him?......According to Wikipedia he just turned 50.....but I can't see him doing a worse job on field goals and extra points than the current guy.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
MLB Jordan Williams looks like a good find with their 2020 1st round pick. Usually they never pan out, but he was outstanding against Calgary to my eye-test.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Ha..ha....just watched the Jays game and had former Blue Jay pitchers on the brain, and not necessarily good ones.

But Nathan Rourke looks like an interesting QB prospect.....traditionally Canadians haven't fared very well at the position over the years in the CFL.....but sooner or later a Canadian QB has to break out of the mold.....and from what I understand Rourke was a good QB with a respected NCAA Div. I program.....so you never know.

It's not that they haven't fared well, it's just they aren't really given a chance. O'Connor and Rourke are just what this league needs.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He seems to have deep pockets and it’s nice to have a local owning the team. Hope he can successfully increase the team’s presence in this city to previous levels!
David Braley though was a pretty solid owner. Think he actually underwrote/supported more than one team directly or indirectly lol. If not for him imho, the whole league probably would've died. RIP.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
David Braley though was a pretty solid owner. Think he actually underwrote/supported more than one team directly or indirectly lol. If not for him imho, the whole league probably would've died. RIP.
Absolutely agree- no Braley, no CFL.

He kept the team well funded, even in his declining health and in the aftermath of his death. I think he had a lot on his plate towards the end which inadvertently kept him less involved with the team, and perhaps that resulted in the team slowly going stale over the better part of the last decade.

All time great owner and forever thankful for Mr Braley. Doman will have large shoes to fill.

Reactions: Hit the post

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Absolutely agree- no Braley, no CFL.

He kept the team well funded, even in his declining health and in the aftermath of his death. I think he had a lot on his plate towards the end which inadvertently kept him less involved with the team, and perhaps that resulted in the team slowly going stale over the better part of the last decade.

All time great owner and forever thankful for Mr Braley. Doman will have large shoes to fill.

Oh, without a doubt. Entirely likely that without Braley the CFL would be gone by now. When he took over here, the clown shoes came off and the oxfords went on. I honestly didn't even know he died. RIP, sir.

As for Amar Doman...I have no idea who he is beyond the wikipedia level. And yes, he does have some very large clogs to fill.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I believe Amar Doman is a direct relative of the Doman family, who created one of the largest forest products companies on the B.C. Coast. They've been one of the leading industrialist families in B.C. for 70 years at least.

Very solid, local ownership for the B.C. Lions at last. Nowhere for this franchise to go, but up.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I Just hope he ernestly wants the team succeed. I dont want another owner like fran who uses the team like his play things or the whitecaps ownership group who are just greedy mfers.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
WOOOOO ! A field goal! 3-0 on 1st possession.

And now an interception!
And then the rest of this game has happened! Dropped passes, bad oline coverage, poor pocket presence, and dumb penalties. We need a stop. Ironically Special Teams has pulled all the weight today with the new kicker hitting a 49 yarder.

They had Doman on the panel and he said everything you’d want to hear as a fan. Optimistic about this moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad