OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When was the last time a team shut out another team twice in one season?
Never in B.C. Lions history......and that goes back to 1954. It's still hard to fathom that the Elks just set the record for consecutive home losses in the history of NA professional sports. If's official: no team in the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL has ever been this bad at home.

The thing is, they don't even look capable of winning a game right now......how did it get this bad in Edmonton, of all places?........at one time they billed themselves as the "City of Champions".

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Never in B.C. Lions history......and that goes back to 1954. It's still hard to fathom that the Elks just set the record for consecutive home losses in the history of NA professional sports. If's official: no team in the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL has ever been this bad at home.

The thing is, they don't even look capable of winning a game right now......how did it get this bad in Edmonton, of all places?........at one time they billed themselves as the "City of Champions".
That’s the main drawback of an 18 game season in a 9 team league. Always going to have 1 team who is garbage. Edm has at least played 8 games but the final 10 games are going to be bad from a walk up crowd POV.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
The “Elks” period has been so miserable for them that I’m kind of anticipating a controversial-but-accepted return to the name Eskimos in the near future.

The only thing shittier than blaming the record of the Elks on their name change is using it as an excuse to return to a derogatory nickname.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
That may be but which sounds better? The Edmonton Elks or the Edmonton Elk? Actually Elk (in any form) was a poor choice.

As a sports nickname? Elks sounds better than Elk, imo.

I didn't really pay attention to the process the team went through to come up with a replacement nickname, but I get the sense they wanted to preserve the EE logo, if for no other reason than to maintain a semblance of continuity.

Maybe they just should have gone for a full rebrand, but kept the green/yellow colour scheme.

Regardless, not sure any decision would change the fact that Edmonton has morphed into the crappiest team imaginable.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I don't think this will happen but I could easily see another name change coming soon.

Was there ever an actual movement to change the name? I remember the big deal about the Washington Commanders and Cleveland Guardians, but I just don't remember the outrage around the Edmonton Eskimos name.

Elks is an all time bad sports name though. Is there nothing better that starts with an E? Eagles? Emperors? Elite? Executioners? Exhibitionists?

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
As a sports nickname? Elks sounds better than Elk, imo.

I didn't really pay attention to the process the team went through to come up with a replacement nickname, but I get the sense they wanted to preserve the EE logo, if for no other reason than to maintain a semblance of continuity.

Maybe they just should have gone for a full rebrand, but kept the green/yellow colour scheme.

Regardless, not sure any decision would change the fact that Edmonton has morphed into the crappiest team imaginable.
Just keep the EE logo and go by "Edmonton".

Reactions: The Stig

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Was there ever an actual movement to change the name? I remember the big deal about the Washington Commanders and Cleveland Guardians, but I just don't remember the outrage around the Edmonton Eskimos name.

Elks is an all time bad sports name though. Is there nothing better that starts with an E? Eagles? Emperors? Elite? Executioners? Exhibitionists?

A rumored name at the time was Edmonton Empire, which I thought was pretty good.

Reactions: The Stig

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, to their credit, the Edmonton CFL franchise consulted with the Inuit people on whether it was appropriate to retain the name 'Eskimos', and heard that it wasn't. So out of respect, they changed their name to the 'Elks'.

The problem in Edmonton isn't the 'name'....it's the front office, coaching and player recruitment.

Reactions: Ozone and 3rd Sedin

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Actually, to their credit, the Edmonton CFL franchise consulted with the Inuit people on whether it was appropriate to retain the name 'Eskimos', and heard that it wasn't. So out of respect, they changed their name to the 'Elks'.

The problem in Edmonton isn't the 'name'....it's the front office, coaching and player recruitment.

It's all those things for sure. Plus the name, the jerseys, the helmets, the socks, the stadium, the city, the province...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leos are 5.5 point underdogs heading to the 'Peg for tonight's contest with the Bombers.

Wishing Dane Evans well in this latest B.C. start, but historically the Bombers defense has eaten him alive. But still, an upset win by the Lions would guarantee them the season-series against Winnipeg, and put them in the drivers seat for first place in the West.

But the Leos defensive will probably have to bail out their offense in this one. A win by the Bombers probably sets up a 'winner take all' at B.C. Place on Oct. 6th.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I know the CFL has challenges with only 9 teams, but scheduling a marquee match-up between one team totally rested from a bye-week, and the other team that just played 5 days ago, is a recipe for a blowout disaster.

It may have been a love-in for the home fans, but not the greatest entertainment for the rest of us. I hate blowouts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You could see this blowout happening from miles away. The Bombers were determined to make this a 'statement game' and the Lions simply wanted to get it over with, and back on the plane.

Sounds like Adams could have made his return, but the Lions weren't going to risk him a game that they had little chance of winning. A wise move--since Evans also left the game with an injury.

II know why the Lions brought in a veteran QB like Dane Evans......they're going for it this year, and didn't want to risk losing their starter and having a rookie QB as the backup.

But in a way it's a shame the Lions won't be brining along a rookie QB this season. Certainly they have a flock of QB's on their Neg list. But didn't sign any of them.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rourke with a 'play of the year' candidate, even though it's only pre-season. But we saw his escape-ability and field generalship last year in B.C......so the only question was whether he could do it in the NFL. So far so good

Still kind of surprised the Seahawks didn't work him out in the off-season and really showed little interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad