OT: Panthers Lounge the Sixth - We Talk About Games & Stuff

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
@Knighty Knight thanks man. Just to introduce myself, we talk lots but I don't really PM anyone here, I'm Eric and my friend @Bones Malone also named Erik runs the pool. It's a small Yahoo pool but everyone is active. Only 8 players, and $25USD to enter. 1st place is $150USD and 2nd is $50USD. Now I know you live in Canada and Erik who does the money is in Buffalo, so etransfer isnt an option, you can paypal him directly, or, since you're helping us out and I'm paypaling him anyway, you can etransfer the money to me and I'll eat the paypal transaction fee for you. We also have a discord he'll invite you to. I'll let Erik chime in at this point. He currently has PMs off but will message you when he gets home and turns PMs on.
Sounds good. Maybe I'll just e-transfer you the money so we're only splitting one transaction cost. Let me know how much extra to cover my share of that cost and I'll send that as well.
BTW my name is Josh.

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Has anyone played Insurgency Sandstorm on console? I got it on the Series X the other day and have had a lot of fun with it. I don’t really play Call of Duty anymore for many reasons but this has replaced it for me. Much more realistic and tense. It requires a lot of teamwork and the controls take a while to get used to but if anyone on Xbox or PlayStation is looking for a hardcore shooter I would definitely recommend.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Has anyone played Insurgency Sandstorm on console? I got it on the Series X the other day and have had a lot of fun with it. I don’t really play Call of Duty anymore for many reasons but this has replaced it for me. Much more realistic and tense. It requires a lot of teamwork and the controls take a while to get used to but if anyone on Xbox or PlayStation is looking for a hardcore shooter I would definitely recommend.

Been playing since last week.

It's absolutely awesome.

Also, give Hell Let Loose a try. The maps are absolutely monstrous in size, but it's like walking across the landscapes and locations of Saving Private Ryan

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Been playing since last week.

It's absolutely awesome.

Also, give Hell Let Loose a try. The maps are absolutely monstrous in size, but it's like walking across the landscapes and locations of Saving Private Ryan
I bought Hell Let Loose and have it downloaded but haven’t had a chance to play it yet. Really looking forward to it but I want to make sure I have adequate time to play before I load it up. Are you on Xbox or PlayStation?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I bought Hell Let Loose and have it downloaded but haven’t had a chance to play it yet. Really looking forward to it but I want to make sure I have adequate time to play before I load it up. Are you on Xbox or PlayStation?
Im on both.

But Insurgency I have for xbox.

Hell let loose I have for PS5 because it's part of PS+ but it has cross play.

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Im on both.

But Insurgency I have for xbox.

Hell let loose I have for PS5 because it's part of PS+ but it has cross play.
If you ever need someone to party up with on one of those games you could add me on Xbox. My gamer tag is MorganBlackwolf.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bucket list

[x] police break up after party

(RIP in pieces to my friend who might get evicted)

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I've obviously been a long-time hockey fan but just now am trying to get into playing. I've gone to a handful of stick times and public skates. Also doing Learn to Play sessions. But I'm having trouble learning hockey stops. I've watched all the YT vids and they all make it look so easy. But I don't seem to scrape the ice and come to a stop. My knees are bent, I put weight on the balls of my feet and not my heels, etc. but it's coming along more slowly than I anticipated. Any tips from you guys would be appreciated!

-ghoste

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
I've obviously been a long-time hockey fan but just now am trying to get into playing. I've gone to a handful of stick times and public skates. Also doing Learn to Play sessions. But I'm having trouble learning hockey stops. I've watched all the YT vids and they all make it look so easy. But I don't seem to scrape the ice and come to a stop. My knees are bent, I put weight on the balls of my feet and not my heels, etc. but it's coming along more slowly than I anticipated. Any tips from you guys would be appreciated!

-ghoste
Don’t be afraid to wipe out. Really lean into it

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

-ghoste

can you do a snow-plow stop well? if not, try to learn to do that and get used to the feeling of digging in to the ice to stop.

there are many videos going over the US figure skating skills 1-8 including the snow plow stop, but this one's good because she demonstrates a one-foot snow plow, which is halfway to your goal. check out at about 5:20.

if you've got the two-foot version down, try slowly shifting the emphasis to one foot as in the one-foot snow plow. (it's ok to go with the more comfortable side to start but be sure to work on your weak side as well.) gradually try to allow your hip on that side to come around so that you end up stopped perpendicular to the direction your were skating in. you'll just lift the other foot slightly until you come to a stop.

if you can get to that point, you're almost there! you get most of your stopping power from the inside edge of the leading foot anyway.

at that point, you can try to throw in the other foot and see what happens!

the outside edge is trickier in general, though. if it doesn't come right away, you could work on t-stops to get a better feel for that outside edge and once you have it, finally bring them both together.

another suggestion - download the USA hockey mobile coach app (for iPhone at least), which has a *ton* of videos on skating (as well as stick-handling and shooting). you don't have to be a coach or even a registered USA hockey member. the videos are under "coaching tools".

i'd also highly recommend some power skating classes to really learn how to use your edges.

good luck!!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

-ghoste

First, find out which side you like or feel more confident in stopping. Your left or right foot on the inside.

Second, As Beezers Mask said, trust in your blades being sharp enough and lean in the stop to avoid over stopping and falling over. Repetition will be your friend, could take weeks or months to see serious improvement.

Thirdly, even if it starts with more of medium scrap and drag of the other foot for balance/security/stability, you'll become more confident, especially if you have equipment on and can fall easier than without. Your feet will be close together, digging in hard for a full snow show stop and momentum will have you come out of the lean into an upright position.

Reactions: Ghoste

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Thanks boys! I still have trouble with single skate snowplow but I can do better with my right skate. Feels like my ankle doesn’t rotate enough. Definitely more comfortable turning my skates to the left.

Just finished the second session of Learn to Play and they did mostly stopping which I butchered so I’m feeling frustrated. Maybe skating just isn’t for me.

Yes @TheImpatientPanther I do snowboard but that seemed way easier to learn than hockey stopping. Lol

-ghoste

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks boys! I still have trouble with single skate snowplow but I can do better with my right skate. Feels like my ankle doesn’t rotate enough. Definitely more comfortable turning my skates to the left.

Just finished the second session of Learn to Play and they did mostly stopping which I butchered so I’m feeling frustrated. Maybe skating just isn’t for me.

Yes @TheImpatientPanther I do snowboard but that seemed way easier to learn than hockey stopping. Lol

-ghoste

Okay so use the concept of the edge of the snowboard as your skate blade.
The angle of the leaning is different between the two but the technique is still similar enough.

Keep doing it with your left foot then and it'll take a lot of attempts to get better and more confident with digging in harder and more intense.

If you're wearing equipment, you can try more aggressively early on and just trust your blades, can't say it enough.
Dig in hard and lean like you're falling short side to ice. Momentum will happen and you'll come out of the lean more controlled in weeks/months.

Don't give up, it's an unreal feeling when you play, grow as a player and join a team. One of my buddies started at 14 and in under 2 years showed solid improvement in edgework, acceleration, stopping and the awkward balance issues faded.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Okay so use the concept of the edge of the snowboard as your skate blade.
The angle of the leaning is different between the two but the technique is still similar enough.

Keep doing it with your left foot then and it'll take a lot of attempts to get better and more confident with digging in harder and more intense.

If you're wearing equipment, you can try more aggressively early on and just trust your blades, can't say it enough.
Dig in hard and lean like you're feeling like falling short side to ice. Momentum will happen and you'll come out of the lean more controlled in weeks/months.

Don't give up, it's an unreal feeling when you play, grow as a player and join a team. One of my buddies started at 14 and in under 2 years showed solid improvement in edgework, acceleration, stopping and the awkward balance issues faded.
Thanks for the advice. I know everyone learns at different paces but geez I feel like it’s coming along way too slowly. Then I think maybe I’m just too old to learn it. It sucks, super frustrating.

-ghoste

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the advice. I know everyone learns at different paces but geez I feel like it’s coming along way too slowly. Then I think maybe I’m just too old to learn it. It sucks, super frustrating.

-ghoste

Haha for sure, harder to learn something new as we get older.
You can do this man, try to go through the fall/winter and I'll get back working out after a 4 month hiatus.
Deal?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

-ghoste
I’m in my 50’s, my family “surprised” me with viola lessons a few months ago. They all play violin (my son is basically a pro but my wife and daughter aren’t but continue to play for fun and in small orchestras) so I agreed to try and understand what they’ve experienced. I’m not very musical at all so this is super difficult and frustrating for me! But I’m gonna stick with it for now.

Just wanted to let you know, I think I share different but similar frustrations, but any small progress you make is yours! And it feels good. Keep going champ.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Thanks fellas! Tomorrow is a new day and I know I’m just feeling sorry for myself right now. I’ll get back at it at this week’s stick time.

I know that once my brain clicks and understands what I’m doing right/wrong, I’ll make a big leap from there. I just haven’t found it yet.

Other than that, I can stride okay and skate backwards okay. I can stickhandle and shoot pretty good.

-ghoste

Last edited:
Reactions: Beezers Mask

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Thanks fellas! Tomorrow is a new day and I know I’m just feeling sorry for myself right now. I’ll get back at it at this week’s stick time.

I know that once my brain clicks and understands what I’m doing right/wrong, I’ll make a big leap from there. I just haven’t found it yet.

Other than that, I can stride okay and skate backwards okay. I can stickhandle and shoot pretty good.

-ghoste
You got some great replies/info from everyone in this thread. I can remember learning to ice skate as a kid and being afraid of getting hurt or looking stupid if I fell. If you have all your pads and helmet on you aren’t going to hurt yourself. And who cares what anyone else thinks. Once you learn it you are going to enjoy skating/hockey even more. Keep it up, you’ll get there.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I learned to skate almost as soon as I learned to walk.
Sounds dumb, but make sure your skates are sharpened. Dull skates will make it hard to stop.
I can't wait until I can skate again. I literally have dreams about dominating on the ice, it is wonderful!

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Played the Battlefield 2042 beta this past week/weekend. I wasn’t too impressed. There was a lot of bugs which they say have been fixed since it is an older build of the game but there was still a ton. I didn’t think the gun play was all that great either. The hit detection was awful and the guns had no “feel” to them. Not sure how else to describe it. Also I don’t know why they are insisting on 100+ player lobbies and gigantic maps if they are going to flood the map with A.I. which are awful and don’t provide any challenge. Anyone else play it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad